Official Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Southern Fan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Official Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Post by Southern Fan »

Rant time. This offensive coordinator should be fired today. It looks like he devises a game plan assuming Ben and Antonio are playing. They do the wildcat against a garbage team and it works. then they try it against a quality team, Ravens, and it fails. And they never go back to it in later games.

Third and one and their intention is to use two plays to get the first. And they pass to Holton and Jones.

Their defense is high level. If they are around the 40, punt the ball inside the 5 and let the defense win the game.

Habaugh fired his coach mid year and won the super bowl. Rudolph is set up to fail.
Zarovich
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Zarovich »

Rudolph has no pocket awareness.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Zarovich wrote:Rudolph has no pocket awareness.
Agreed. Duck looked much more comfortable. Rudolph was off target all day.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

And just like that, we are back in the playoffs as the last wild card. (NFL = Not For Long is my guess.)
Southern Fan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Southern Fan »

Another terrible week of offensive game planning. Thanks for the defense and 2017 Boswell.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

The O-line looked grim, especially Villanueva. (Yeah, I know Pouncey did not play.)
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Humperdink wrote:The O-line looked grim, especially Villanueva. (Yeah, I know Pouncey did not play.)
Looked horrible again to start the game but the Wildcat for even just a few plays really messed up the Browns and showed some openings and Duck went to work. It also helped that the one DB interfered every single play.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

If that was a fake punt, it was dumbest call Tomlin has made in his storied coaching career.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

This game vs the Bills, zero consistency on the penalty calls.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Since we have been reduced finding our skilled offensive players on street corners, our heralded offensive line better pick it up.
sluggermatt15
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Humperdink wrote:Since we have been reduced finding our skilled offensive players on street corners, our heralded offensive line better pick it up.
Looks like JuJu and Vance McDonald will return tomorrow from injury. Could be a shot in the arm the offense needs.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Nice game Coach (of the Year). *cough*
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

Humperdink wrote:Nice game Coach (of the Year). *cough*
I'd have to say this is more on their anemic offense. But I'd be all for bringing Munchak back as line coach/head coach lol.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

ville5 wrote:
Humperdink wrote:Nice game Coach (of the Year). *cough*
I'd have to say this is more on their anemic offense. But I'd be all for bringing Munchak back as line coach/head coach lol.
I continue to struggle with Coach T losing to bottom feeders. That's one of his legacies. I get it that we are depleted. But we have not one, but two, all-pros on the offensive line (out of five). One would think we could devise a game plan to shelter our deer-in-the-headlights QB.

PS: Tomlin is here for life.
sluggermatt15
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Tomlin can redeem himself with a win on Sunday.

Even an 8-8 finish is a great coaching job given how the season unraveled.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Thankfully, it's mercifully over. Now to extend Tomlin through the 2075 season (gag me).
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Humperdink wrote:Thankfully, it's mercifully over. Now to extend Tomlin through the 2075 season (gag me).
I think Tomlin did a very good job this season. I'm with you on the negative Tomlin train but I'll give credit where it's due. I still hope Dan Snyder makes the Rooney's an offer they can't refuse for Tomlin's services though. Take the NFLs version of Dan Byslma to the NFC.

That said, I think the coaching staff didn't do enough to help the QB situation. They went in with Ben and no experience, which is fine but have a backup plan for the offense.

Having no running game, no TE, and no FB really killed the QB situation. Jaylen Samuels has good pass catching abilities and could have played an Hback/FB position to help the running game and be a safety valve in the passing game. They just seemed to make little adjustments to the offense and seemed to go from training wheel offense to Big Ben passorama offense.

I like Snell and think he can be a nice bruiser but I think the team needs a legit number 1 RB. I like Connor but he can't seem to stay healthy.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Daniel wrote:
Humperdink wrote:Thankfully, it's mercifully over. Now to extend Tomlin through the 2075 season (gag me).
I think Tomlin did a very good job this season. I'm with you on the negative Tomlin train but I'll give credit where it's due. I still hope Dan Snyder makes the Rooney's an offer they can't refuse for Tomlin's services though. Take the NFLs version of Dan Byslma to the NFC.

That said, I think the coaching staff didn't do enough to help the QB situation. They went in with Ben and no experience, which is fine but have a backup plan for the offense.

Having no running game, no TE, and no FB really killed the QB situation. Jaylen Samuels has good pass catching abilities and could have played an Hback/FB position to help the running game and be a safety valve in the passing game. They just seemed to make little adjustments to the offense and seemed to go from training wheel offense to Big Ben passorama offense.

I like Snell and think he can be a nice bruiser but I think the team needs a legit number 1 RB. I like Connor but he can't seem to stay healthy.
I'm sorry that I am negative on Coach T. My reasons in no particular order:

1) He can beat the bottom feeders. The NY Jets being the most recent example. To me, it's lack of having the team prepared.
2) He tosses the red flag when it's clear it's a loser.
3) Clock management skills are third rate.
4) His "managing" Antonio Brown's behavior cost the Steelers dearly. Maybe Brown was incorrigible, but Tomlin's distinct lack of disciplining Brown early in his career did not help.
sluggermatt15
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Humperdink wrote:
Daniel wrote:

1) He can beat the bottom feeders. The NY Jets being the most recent example. To me, it's lack of having the team prepared.
4) His "managing" Antonio Brown's behavior cost the Steelers dearly. Maybe Brown was incorrigible, but Tomlin's distinct lack of disciplining Brown early in his career did not help.
1. Yes, Tomlin has a crystal clear track record of struggles against sub-.500 opponents/inferior competition. I agree about lack of preparation. He needs to step it up there.
2. Agree.
3. Agree, but better in 2019.
4. Somewhat disagree. Brown was suspended by the team for the final game of 2018. Didn't really hurt the team. The best move Tomlin and the organization made was to trade him to Oakland. Look at all the garbage that has occurred since. Steelers let him go at the PERFECT time.

I have to give props to Tomlin on the 8-8 record this year, given the circumstances he dealt with. He's still never had a losing campaign. Let's see how he fares with Ben (hopefully) back in the fall. Remember, his contract is up following the 2020-2021 season.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

sluggermatt15 wrote:
Humperdink wrote:
Daniel wrote:

1. Yes, Tomlin has a crystal clear track record of struggles against sub-.500 opponents/inferior competition. I agree about lack of preparation. He needs to step it up there.
2. Agree.
3. Agree, but better in 2019.
4. Somewhat disagree. Brown was suspended by the team for the final game of 2018. Didn't really hurt the team. The best move Tomlin and the organization made was to trade him to Oakland. Look at all the garbage that has occurred since. Steelers let him go at the PERFECT time.

I have to give props to Tomlin on the 8-8 record this year, given the circumstances he dealt with. He's still never had a losing campaign. Let's see how he fares with Ben (hopefully) back in the fall. Remember, his contract is up following the 2020-2021 season.
Fair points. My point regarding Tomlin/Brown was that Brown was young and conformable when he was first drafted. Maybe he has always been incorrigible, but Tomlin condoned the abhorrent behavior.
sluggermatt15
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Yes he did. Tomlin does not seem to be a strict coach. Maybe he has changed his ways since the AB Saga.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

sluggermatt15 wrote:Yes he did. Tomlin does not seem to be a strict coach. Maybe he has changed his ways since the AB Saga.
I’m starting to think he did what he had to do to make sure Brown didn’t suck the entire team into his madness. That meant letting the team essentially act like a bunch of high school kids.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

So free agency, signed a real FB who is a beast in blocking and special teams, got a TE who’s basically a giant WR, depth on the DL after losing Hargrave, depth at OL after losing Finney and managed to free up cal space to be competitive this year. ILB and RB are the only weak spots I can see that can be fixed in the draft and there will be some camp cuts we can grab too.

Lots of ifs coming into 2020 but the ceiling of this team is really high.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Steelers passing over 2 good RB’s that would walk into the starting job to select a WR from ND.

Better be trading for Fournette.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

DelPen wrote:Steelers passing over 2 good RB’s that would walk into the starting job to select a WR from ND.

Better be trading for Fournette.
I liked that pick, it’s a position of need. Claypool has the size and speed the WR corp needs. The top 3 WRs are all very good, but they’re all about 6’ or so. Claypool will hopefully bring what Bryant did, without the drama. Now the Steelers have 4 WRs that are all under 25 and extremely talented.

As for the RB need, I get that but the big question is this. How much better are those RBs you talked about compared to McFarland and what would have been the drop off from Claypool to the WR the Steelers drafted in the 4th round? 6’5 230lb WRs with 4.4 speed aren’t easy to get.

Overall this was a pretty standard draft for the Steelers, doesn’t look flashy on paper but they’ll end up with productive players. I don’t see a lot of need on this team, outside of RB and rebuilding the OL. I don’t think any of the options in the 2nd round were any better than what they have already, though Conners health is starting to become a concern. I think Claypool will help the running game, though the two biggest things that will help is Ben coming back and an actual commitment to running the ball.