Other NHL Games 2018-19 Edition.

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Faubert5
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

Re: Other NHL Games 2018-19 Edition.

Post by Faubert5 »

Daniel wrote:How is that a 5 minute major? Talk about decision by injury. Two minute cross check at most. It was a fluky thing and nowhere near an intent to injure.
The last angle I saw didn't look good. Crosscheck to the chops. Careless, stupid play.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Faubert5 wrote:
Daniel wrote:How is that a 5 minute major? Talk about decision by injury. Two minute cross check at most. It was a fluky thing and nowhere near an intent to injure.
The last angle I saw didn't look good. Crosscheck to the chops. Careless, stupid play.
I can't find a video of it to back it up, but it was a cross check to the chest.
SubtropicalPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by SubtropicalPenguin »

That was an insane five minutes. The knights had it in the bag, 5 minute power play, and the goals just wouldn't stop. Just like that, the knights are on the verge of elimination. Wow.
Liverlips
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Liverlips »

That escalated quickly!
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

SubtropicalPenguin wrote:That was an insane five minutes. The knights had it in the bag, 5 minute power play, and the goals just wouldn't stop. Just like that, the knights are on the verge of elimination. Wow.
Yeah, because the officials ref'd the injury not the infraction.
Faubert5
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

Post by Faubert5 »

Daniel wrote:
Faubert5 wrote:
I can't find a video of it to back it up, but it was a cross check to the chest.
His face was bleeding.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Faubert5 wrote:
Daniel wrote:
Faubert5 wrote:
His face was bleeding.
Because it hit the ice, watch at about the 2 minute mark

https://youtu.be/Ir9745w2vJE?t=120" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just to add, Pavelski has a face shield, how is a stick going to make him bleed from the mouth?

BTW, it was a cross check, but that shouldn't have been a 5 minute major and misconduct.
Last edited by Daniel on Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Faubert5
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Faubert5 »

Daniel wrote:
Faubert5 wrote:
Daniel wrote:
Faubert5 wrote:
His face was bleeding.
Because it hit the ice, watch at about the 2 minute mark

https://youtu.be/Ir9745w2vJE?t=120" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just to add, Pavelski has a face shield, how is a stick going to make him bleed from the mouth?
Does the shield cover his whole face? He hit the side of his head on the ice - that's not going to make his mouth bleed.
Faubert5
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Faubert5 »

That's the craziest finish I think I've ever seen. I hope Flower comes out on top.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Faubert5 wrote:
Daniel wrote:Because it hit the ice, watch at about the 2 minute mark

Does the shield cover his whole face? He hit the side of his head on the ice - that's not going to make his mouth bleed.
It covers his jaw and mouth, can you see where the stick hit him? Eakin clearly hit him in the chest.
Faubert5
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Faubert5 »

Daniel wrote:
Faubert5 wrote:

It covers his jaw and mouth, can you see where the stick hit him? Eakin clearly hit him in the chest.
Watching again - you're correct. I'm still okay with the five. A high cross check, a second hit up high, and a shove to the ice. I don't have a problem with the five. Can't believe I agree with Keith Jones on the call - so maybe I am wrong. :shock:
SubtropicalPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by SubtropicalPenguin »

If the man wasn't injured, it wouldn't have been a 5... But that's the way it goes. I don't have a problem with the call in general, but as always, the lack of consistency is the biggest issue. There are literally around 100 cross checks per game (maybe more), so it can be annoying when they finally call something. Either way, Vegas can't give up 4 goals like that.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Faubert5 wrote:
Daniel wrote:
Faubert5 wrote:

Watching again - you're correct. I'm still okay with the five. A high cross check, a second hit up high, and a shove to the ice. I don't have a problem with the five. Can't believe I agree with Keith Jones on the call - so maybe I am wrong. :shock:
If the shove to the ice is a problem, call the penalty on Statsny and they'd have more of an argument. Even still, shouldn't be a five in todays NHL.

In principal I agree with the five, in the reality of the NHL that's barely a penalty. If they call that all year long, Eakin likely doesn't do that and Statsny is more careful as well. All year long, the NHL tells players it's okay to be careless, it's okay to not be concerned with player safety (except the occasion Wilson suspension), then call this in a game 7? Seriously?

Be more consistent is all we as fans can ask for and this is only a good penalty if you're a Sharks fan.
Last edited by Daniel on Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zarovich
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Zarovich »

I think it was a fluke injury and were they even calling a penalty at all if not for an injury?

The Pens would be lucky to get 4 shots on a 5 minute major let alone 4 goals.
flame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by flame »

Greg Wyshynski

Verified account

@wyshynski
Follow Follow @wyshynski
More Greg Wyshynski Retweeted Greg Wyshynski
Here's the play. No arm up by either ref, and especially the one staring at the play the entire time.

https://t.co/QomMdmZpCL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Greg Wyshynski

Verified account

@wyshynski
26m26 minutes ago
More
Gallant claims the referee told him that Eakin "got [Pavelski] in the face with the stick," which if accurate is absolutely baffling.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

flame wrote:Greg Wyshynski

Verified account

@wyshynski
Follow Follow @wyshynski
More Greg Wyshynski Retweeted Greg Wyshynski
Here's the play. No arm up by either ref, and especially the one staring at the play the entire time.

https://t.co/QomMdmZpCL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Greg Wyshynski

Verified account

@wyshynski
26m26 minutes ago
More
Gallant claims the referee told him that Eakin "got [Pavelski] in the face with the stick," which if accurate is absolutely baffling.
Because no one knew there was a penalty until after the injury.
Cu11en
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Cu11en »

brwi wrote:WOOOOO! Canes and Caps heading for a Game 7. Stellar work by Carolina and their crowd. Home team has won every game so far.
Well thank ya very much, I was part of that crowd on Monday. What a game, what an atmosphere. 10 years without a playoff series, those fans were loud. I didn’t mind at all being a Pens fan there cheering loudly against the Caps.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

If the refs had called the cross check right when it happened and it was 2min to Eakins or even 2 also to Statsny, no one can say much. That the refs weren't going to call anything until seeing Pavelski injured, terrible, but that's also typical NHL officiating unfortunately. Also, Vegas doesn't have to completely meltdown and allow 4 goals. That kind of choke is all on Vegas. Bad call for sure but worse response from Vegas.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

A bad call, a very bad call, just ended your season. This is when Vegas management and ownership should get loud.
Stillerz Bar
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Stillerz Bar »

brwi wrote:If the refs had called the cross check right when it happened and it was 2min to Eakins or even 2 also to Statsny, no one can say much. That the refs weren't going to call anything until seeing Pavelski injured, terrible, but that's also typical NHL officiating unfortunately. Also, Vegas doesn't have to completely meltdown and allow 4 goals. That kind of choke is all on Vegas. Bad call for sure but worse response from Vegas.
Therein lies the problem with NHL officiating - more often than not it is reactive; "If there is an injury then it must have been illegal" - to make it worse, in the playoffs they let all kinds of truly illegal stuff go but when someone gets hurt they feel they have to make up for it.

I'm kind of OK with a cross check but I also feel it would have been in line with post season officiating to call nothing, but a 5 min major is based on nothing but the injury!!
Zarovich
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Zarovich »

brwi wrote:If the refs had called the cross check right when it happened and it was 2min to Eakins or even 2 also to Statsny, no one can say much. That the refs weren't going to call anything until seeing Pavelski injured, terrible, but that's also typical NHL officiating unfortunately. Also, Vegas doesn't have to completely meltdown and allow 4 goals. That kind of choke is all on Vegas. Bad call for sure but worse response from Vegas.
This. The only thing worse than the call was how Vegas let up 4 goals.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

Looking like the clock has struck midnight on the Canes as Caps up 2-0 after 7 mins.
Malkintent
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: Please help my dog https://www.gofundme.com/sumdm7d8

Post by Malkintent »

Hey shortie, it's ya birthday.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

Malkintent wrote:Hey shortie, it's ya birthday.
and Holtby has a gift of a rebound for you Aho.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

Love the BrindA'Mour interviews....."we're playing like crap!" That was just before Birdman scores.