Matt Murray's future, a poll

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Matt Murray's future?

1. Comes back and regains the magic he once had.
35%
2. Comes back and plays so-so, shares time with DeSmith.
37%
3. Comes back and looks bad and gets benched.
9%
4. Comes back, looks bad and gets traded.
12%
5. Gets traded without even coming back.
7%

Total votes: 43

Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Matt Murray's future, a poll

Post by Antonio »

Well he should have won 2 conn Smythes when they took out the games he didn't clinch the cup with 0 goals allowed.
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

So if you display a Venn Diagram of all posters to this board you will see an intersection of people who think Murray sucks along with those who think we should have kept MAF and traded Murray, but with another intersection of people who think MAF sucked when he was here and was psychologically damaged after that Flyer playoff fiasco. Of course there is an seemingly unrelated relationship which intersects with goaltending and that is Letang sucks and we won a cup without him and with those two goalies MAF and Murray who both suck.

The conclusion of all of this is anytime the Pens lose it's the goalie's fault regardless who is in net. and if we can throw Letang under the bus as well even better since it helps with the narrative that we know better than Rutherford and Sullivan.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

pens_CT wrote:So if you display a Venn Diagram of all posters to this board you will see an intersection of people who think Murray sucks along with those who think we should have kept MAF and traded Murray, but with another intersection of people who think MAF sucked when he was here and was psychologically damaged after that Flyer playoff fiasco. Of course there is an seemingly unrelated relationship which intersects with goaltending and that is Letang sucks and we won a cup without him and with those two goalies MAF and Murray who both suck.

The conclusion of all of this is anytime the Pens lose it's the goalie's fault regardless who is in net. and if we can throw Letang under the bus as well even better since it helps with the narrative that we know better than Rutherford and Sullivan.
I view Letang and Murray in the same vein (not Venn). When they are good, there are none better at their respective positions. Unfortunately, when they make mistakes, they occur at inopportune moments. That's what frustrates some people on this board. Or maybe just me.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

I just don't get all the Fleury love. It was a few years that Vokoun and Brent Johnsons had to finish the playoffs for him. After 09 he was not him self for a few years. Granted the way he stood on his head for us in 17 with Murray on the sideline might of been the best playing of his career.

As far as getting rid of whom.... its a salary cap era... that is all you have to say, Murray was the obvious choice to stay with youth and cap number on his side.
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

no name wrote:I just don't get all the Fleury love. It was a few years that Vokoun and Brent Johnsons had to finish the playoffs for him. After 09 he was not him self for a few years. Granted the way he stood on his head for us in 17 with Murray on the sideline might of been the best playing of his career.

As far as getting rid of whom.... its a salary cap era... that is all you have to say, Murray was the obvious choice to stay with youth and cap number on his side.
I wouldn't try to make much sense of all of this, it's a message board with fickle fans. Goaltender is the prime whipping boy position, and when it comes to MAF people here have short memories. They selectively forget the playoff failures and only remember what he did in the 16-17 playoffs when Murray was hurt.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

pens_CT wrote:
no name wrote:I just don't get all the Fleury love. It was a few years that Vokoun and Brent Johnsons had to finish the playoffs for him. After 09 he was not him self for a few years. Granted the way he stood on his head for us in 17 with Murray on the sideline might of been the best playing of his career.

I wouldn't try to make much sense of all of this, it's a message board with fickle fans. Goaltender is the prime whipping boy position, and when it comes to MAF people here have short memories. They selectively forget the playoff failures and only remember what he did in the 16-17 playoffs when Murray was hurt.
The only thing I forgot to mention in my post was the last and most important item for keeping Murray. His play was just as good if not slightly better than Fleurys at the time.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

23-7-4 in last 34.
I would say he is back on track.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

pronovost19 wrote:23-7-4 in last 34.
Save %
> 2018-19 .919
> Career: .917
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

Humperdink wrote:
pronovost19 wrote:23-7-4 in last 34.
Save %
> 2018-19 .919
> Career: .917
Just for comparison purposes:

MAF Save %

2018-19 0.914
Career 0.913
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Hatrick »

no name wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

The only thing I forgot to mention in my post was the last and most important item for keeping Murray. His play was just as good if not slightly better than Fleurys at the time.
actually I think Fleury was the better goalie at the time and probably would be for a couple seasons. But I still thought the better move was to keep Murray, not Fleury(I still think GMJR was incredibly dumb for including a 2nd round pick for nothing). The reason is because it meant we would get a few more million in cap space(enough for another player), plus have a younger goalie who in theory would eventually be better performance wise after the first 2 or 3 years of the expansion draft. Of course this is only year 2 so the second part has yet to be seen, but the first part is definitely true. Murray is still significantly cheaper on the cap than Fleury.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

Hatrick wrote:
no name wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

actually I think Fleury was the better goalie at the time and probably would be for a couple seasons. But I still thought the better move was to keep Murray, not Fleury(I still think GMJR was incredibly dumb for including a 2nd round pick for nothing). The reason is because it meant we would get a few more million in cap space(enough for another player), plus have a younger goalie who in theory would eventually be better performance wise after the first 2 or 3 years of the expansion draft. Of course this is only year 2 so the second part has yet to be seen, but the first part is definitely true. Murray is still significantly cheaper on the cap than Fleury.
Besides the GMs on this board, there's not another GM in the NHL that would have kept Fleury over Murray.
murphydump55
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by murphydump55 »

Since Matt Murray's return (Dec 15th) no goaltender who has a similar sample of ice time (>1500 min) has a better 5v5 save percentage than his .944. He also leads all goaltenders with a 5v5 HDSV% of .881.

Murray sucks! Needs to smile more!
Southern Fan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Southern Fan »

Since he came off IR, his save % is .931. Only one goalie beats that- Bishop at .933
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

I was always very critical of Fleury, but I had confidence in him making the save. Murray... I usually expect him to give up the goal.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Jim wrote:I was always very critical of Fleury, but I had confidence in him making the save. Murray... I usually expect him to give up the goal.
Depends where the shot goes. Not glove is a save. High glove? Who knows
murphydump55
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by murphydump55 »

Southern Fan wrote:Since he came off IR, his save % is .931. Only one goalie beats that- Bishop at .933
Not good enough for many.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Picked "Comes back and plays so-so, shares time with DeSmith." I think that's too negative, but neither do I think "Comes back and regains the magic he once had" is a better judgement.

I'm happy with Murray as is. Eye-test on high shots is awful. Admittedly, it's a weak point for goalies across the league, but it just seems a lot more go off the opposing tender's shoulders. Not sure that has a basis in statistics. It troubles me.

Pens need to clear the slot and Murray's gotta save the shot. His recovery times from save to being ready to save on the rebound... are improving. There's that.