Official Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Official Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Post by Durbano »

One of the most embarrassing home playoff losses in franchise history.

If Bortles led them to 35 points today, imagine how ugly it would've been next weekend had the Steelers somehow pulled it out.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

The NFL deserves a Vikings-Jags Super Bowl.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by wondermoose »

Personnel is fine. Coaches are dumb as dirt. Tomlin is safe, but I'd expect Haley and Butler to be shown the door. They have both shown an inability to learn from mistakes. I mean, rush three and drop into coverage has not worked against good teams. Trickery has never worked on 4th and ones.
ejd43
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ejd43 »

I honestly could see Haley being the only one to go, as much as I’d like to see a house cleaning I don’t think butler will go. In my opinion I prefer a d coordinator that can implement a more man defense with going to zone as a second option, not the other way around. Although if you go that route you would need the personel to play man.
ejd43
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ejd43 »

DelPen wrote:The NFL deserves a Vikings-Jags Super Bowl.
The NFC looks terrible
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

ejd43 wrote:
The NFC looks terrible
Be a home game for the Vikes.
ejd43
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ejd43 »

Humperdink wrote:
ejd43 wrote:
The NFC looks terrible
Be a home game for the Vikes.
They pulled that win out by the skin of their teeeth.
Liverlips
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Liverlips »

Who do you hire as OC for Ben at this stage of his career? Does he dislike Haley enough to want to hang around to “break-in” a new OC in his twilight years?
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Liverlips wrote:Who do you hire as OC for Ben at this stage of his career? Does he dislike Haley enough to want to hang around to “break-in” a new OC in his twilight years?
You would think potential OC's would leap at the chance to work this loaded offense. But, but, but, but ....... you still have Tomlin as headmaster.
Last edited by Humperdink on Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Four teams with 13-3 records entered the playoffs. Three remain *cough*.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Anyone else not as upset because they were certain next week would be a loss so it’s not like a Super Bowl was pissed away? I’m annoyed and frustrated we need to put up with this garbage every single year but I’m not going to lose any sleep over being out of the playoffs.
Liverlips
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Liverlips »

I had faith if they stayed healthy today (and won, of course) that they had a puncher’s chance going into Foxborough. Looks like they managed to do the former. Ahh well. LGP!

So, who do you guys want for OC and DC?
America
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by America »

Tomlin needs to go. Year after year with no success in the playoffs.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

I'm pissed because NE is really not that strong this year. They had the easiest route to the Super Bowl that they've seen in many, many years, and they blow it in their first playoff game. Seeing Bryant strut around like he's hot $#!% because he caught a touchdown pass to narrow the blowout loss from 21 to 14 tells you all you need to know about this team, and this league. Individual accomplishments are all that matter to these idiots. The don't give a crap about the team. (Coincidently, the major reason I have despised Ovechkin since he entered the NHL).
Southern Fan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Southern Fan »

Almost the same trend as every week.

The team starts out slow. They dig a hole where they are down 10-14 points. Offense has a couple series where they have inexplicable play calling. This seems to be coaching where they don’t game plan, prepare correctly.

Then talent kicks in and they come from behind to either win on Chris Boswell field goal or just fall short.

We should know how the Washington capitals feel every year after this one. Does anyone really think Bellichek wouldn’t have had a few Super Bowls with this team.

But ten to twelve wins a year will allow the Rooney’s to keep the status quo. After all, Tomlin has only coached one game in his tenure that was not important to playoffs.

And Jacksonville shouldn’t be too cocky. Ben put up 42 on a vaunted secondary throwing to Eli Rogers and McDonald. Bet they don’t strip sack Brady.
Cu11en
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Cu11en »

Only positive I took from the game was that maybe, just maybe, McDonald could evolve into sort of a "Gronk Lite." With all due respect to Heath Miller, haven't seen a Steeler TE break multiple tackles in a game since the Bruener days.

For me, a frustrating thing at the end of game was when the Steelers had the ball inside the 10 and got the penalty & 10 second runoff, the Steelers should have kicked the field goal immediately. They were down by 10 points. Then tried the inevitable onside kick, since they would have had to kick one anyway if they scored a TD. Not they would have recovered the onside kick, but it would've given them a chance for a 2nd score instead of whittling the clock all the way down to 1 second before getting the first score.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

I’m done with the Steelers as long as Haley is still employed.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

Cya Todd. Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.
No more minus 2 yard wr screens on 3rd and long. Wooooo.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

ville5 wrote:Cya Todd. Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.
No more minus 2 yard wr screens on 3rd and long. Wooooo.
Or toss/sweeps on 4th and 6". Hoping Mike (always wrong, never in doubt) Tomlin follows him out the door.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Defence21 »

DelPen wrote:I’m done with the Steelers as long as Haley is still employed.
Looks like you're done being done with the Steelers :D

Many outlets, including Ian Rappaport, are reporting that the Steelers will let Haley walk, paving the way for a supposed promotion for Randy Fichtner. Also, news broke not long ago that Mike Munchak has turned down a second interview with the Cardinals -- good news for the Steelers, whose o-line has dramatically improved under his coaching.

Next up, fire Butler, Porter, and Lake, and buy out Mike Mitchell. Porter is an idiot, Lake has done absolutely nothing with the defensive backs, and Mitchell is all talk and no substance.
Liverlips
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Liverlips »

Defence21 wrote:

Many outlets, including Ian Rappaport, are reporting that the Steelers will let Haley walk, paving the way for a supposed promotion for Randy Fichtner. Also, news broke not long ago that Mike Munchak has turned down a second interview with the Cardinals -- good news for the Steelers, whose o-line has dramatically improved under his coaching.

Next up, fire Butler, Porter, and Lake, and buy out Mike Mitchell. Porter is an idiot, Lake has done absolutely nothing with the defensive backs, and Mitchell is all talk and no substance.
Agreed on all counts. So, who do we want for new DC (let’s assume Butler get canned...please let it be)?

What about secondary coach (or even separate coaches for CBs)? Rod Woodson interviewing? :P
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Defence21 »

Liverlips wrote:
Defence21 wrote:

Agreed on all counts. So, who do we want for new DC (let’s assume Butler get canned...please let it be)?

What about secondary coach (or even separate coaches for CBs)? Rod Woodson interviewing? :P
I don't know a lot of the names out there, so I won't name specifics, but I really would like to see a young defensive coordinator with a fire to prove himself. Surround him with some veteran guys for the linebackers and defensive backs, and he'll have the support needed to hopefully succeed. Unfortunately, all indications are that no changes will come with coaches on the defensive side of the ball.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

So the Steelers promoted a guy who helped make Landry Jones the player he is today form QB coach to full blown OC. Interesting. Unless of course Jones hit his ceiling and will always be garbage and it’s again Colbert not getting talented depth and keeping below average players around because it’s wasier than doing hard work and scouting like The Pats always seem to do year in and year out.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

DelPen wrote:So the Steelers promoted a guy who helped make Landry Jones the player he is today form QB coach to full blown OC. Interesting. Unless of course Jones hit his ceiling and will always be garbage and it’s again Colbert not getting talented depth and keeping below average players around because it’s wasier than doing hard work and scouting like The Pats always seem to do year in and year out.
I was in favor of new blood. This isn't it. Disappointing.
ejd43
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ejd43 »

Who is everyone rooting for today? I’m going with Jacksonville and Minnesota.