Official Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Official 2016-2017 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Post by DelPen »

I'm done. Could have been a great year. Managed to be mediocre. You knew you were going to have to beat a TE in NE with Brady and you didn't get the right players.

And Haley sucks. Fire him tomorrow.
ejd43
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ejd43 »

DelPen wrote:I'm done. Could have been a great year. Managed to be mediocre. You knew you were going to have to beat a TE in NE with Brady and you didn't get the right players.

And Haley sucks. Fire him tomorrow.
Will be a fun off season. Defense still needs work, and if Timmons goes we will need to find another ILB. We will need a CB as well. Can't rely of Golson to even get through training camp, and will gay is old and just needs to go.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

ejd43 wrote:
wondermoose wrote:I want to blame this on Bell's injury, but Ben has been sooooo bad four months now. He's hitting the short throws the pats are giving him, but my god, he can't throw further than ten yards anymore.

Also, would rushing one lineman and dropping everyone into coverage AND still getting picked apart make then blitz a little more? What a disappointment.
In all fairness to Ben, I'm sure he would be better if he didn't have the island of misfit toys for receivers. Outside of brown and Rogers, they got nothing.
Ben Hogan
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by wondermoose »

I feel like Haley and Butler are both good coordinators that are undermined by being stupid. I just... Man.
ejd43
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ejd43 »

Nice freakin play call idiots.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by wondermoose »

That was the dumbest fourth down try I've ever seen. The reasoning must have literally been "they'll never expect it because it's that stupid."
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Not sure about the Haley angst, but if you play a zone against Brady, you better be in his face quickly with a pass rush. Failed to do that. The Pats receivers are not athletic. A man-to-man may have been a wiser choice.
ejd43
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ejd43 »

Humperdink wrote:Not sure about the Haley angst, but if you play a zone against Brady, you better be in his face quickly with a pass rush. Failed to do that. The Pats receivers are not athletic. A man-to-man may have been a wiser choice.
Just jam the crap out them at the line.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by wondermoose »

Humperdink wrote:Not sure about the Haley angst, but if you play a zone against Brady, you better be in his face quickly with a pass rush. Failed to do that. The Pats receivers are not athletic. A man-to-man may have been a wiser choice.
Is your stream behind? Did you miss the fourth down fade to Hamilton?
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

wondermoose wrote:
Is your stream behind? Did you miss the fourth down fade to Hamilton?
Is your video operational? Brady has shredded our defense.

But since you brought it up, I would be more upset with the two running plays prior to the fade.

My point, which you apparently missed, was that I was not commenting on Haley's and the offense performance. You guys covered that adequately. I was focused on Brady and our defense - and our poor game plan.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Steve »

Kind of expected really - i think we all knew that the Steelers would need to score 40+ to win this one, the only surprising thing to me though is that they only scored 9 before that meaningless TD.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

wondermoose wrote:I feel like Haley and Butler are both good coordinators that are undermined by being stupid. I just... Man.
Fire em both. Everyone knows you have to batter and bruise Brady to get him off his game to beat him.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

wondermoose wrote:That was the dumbest fourth down try I've ever seen. The reasoning must have literally been "they'll never expect it because it's that stupid."
How about the 3rd and 1 on their first drive where they decided the right call was a 40 yard bomb to Coates? Or the 1st and half a yard on the goal line and the repeated hand offs down the middle to Williams who couldn't get anywhere all day? Ever hear of a QB sneak Haley/Tomlin?
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

ville5 wrote:
wondermoose wrote:I feel like Haley and Butler are both good coordinators that are undermined by being stupid. I just... Man.
Fire em both. Everyone knows you have to batter and bruise Brady to get him off his game to beat him.
Everyone but Butler and Tomlin that is. All it would have taken was one or two hits and Brady would have been off his game ... the same way he was when the Texans were applying the hits.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

D@mn, Webb mvp of senior bowl. No lasting til our 2nd now :(.
Cu11en
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Cu11en »

Probably saw Dobbs play 10 games on TV as the Vols' QB, and he was awful in 9 of them. 2 INT's already when other rookies are lighting it up. No surprise here.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Cu11en wrote:Probably saw Dobbs play 10 games on TV as the Vols' QB, and he was awful in 9 of them. 2 INT's already when other rookies are lighting it up. No surprise here.
We have a problem still at backup QB that continues since Batch retired. It's sad.

And can we get a rename on the thread to get rid of the years?

Defense has looked good though. Love Watts, kid is going to be a legend on this team.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Mike Hilton making some big plays tonight. Hamilton too looking good as always.
Faubert5
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

Post by Faubert5 »

Steeler defense appears to be in midseason form. That's not good.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

NashvilleCat wrote:Steeler defense appears to be in midseason form. That's not good.
I presume you are referring our propensity to give up the 3rd and long, for a 1st down.....EVERYTIME.

Edit to add: I exaggerated a bit, but not much.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

Dobbs continues to look next to useless, but nice start for Conner, at least.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

I think the Joe Haden signing is a large deal.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/126 ... -joe-haden" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Haden was a great pick up. Addresses one of the huge holes we have on defense. I was hoping we'd sign him as soon as he was released.

Dobbs is looking better too, not sure he make Jones obsolete yet but it's close. My only fear of losing Jones is someone in the AFC North picking him up to learn our plays better but from what I saw the last few years Landry Jones has never seen the playbook.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Does it seem like we are making a lot more trades than usual this year?
Zarovich
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Zarovich »

DelPen wrote:Does it seem like we are making a lot more trades than usual this year?
The window on this offence is 2 years. Bell will be gone after that and Ben may play 3 years. I could see him only playing 2 though. They are trying to win now.