Other NHL Games 2016-17

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Other NHL Games 2016-17

Post by Durbano »

Heck of a comeback by Ottawa, albeit against a depleted D-corps.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Toronto looks pretty good actually
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Durbano wrote:Heck of a comeback by Ottawa, albeit against a depleted D-corps.
This should be a very good series. That game tying assist by Karlsson was Malkinesque.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Durbano »

Skatingpen wrote:Toronto looks pretty good actually
Good at blowing leads, anyway. Any chance they had to make this a series probably was lost in game one.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Roman Polak is done courtesy of Orpik.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Humperdink wrote:Roman Polak is done courtesy of Orpik.

Was it dirty?
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Skatingpen wrote:

Was it dirty?
As is typical with old #44, borderline. Polak was skating with the puck approaching the blueline and was kinda/sorta engaged with another Caps player. Orpik skated in "unannounced" and blew up Polak. Destroyed his right leg.
Southern Fan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Southern Fan »

Orpik hit was probably legal, but unnecessary.

Nice two goal response by Leafs, Kapanen with a goal.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

I have pretty much reached the conclusion that all blind side hits are cheapshots. Polak saw him at the last second, but it was too late. No time to react. And another player on the shelf.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Oh baby! Good for you Kapanen! Caps are getting tighter....
SubtropicalPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by SubtropicalPenguin »

KG wrote:Oh baby! Good for you Kapanen! Caps are getting tighter....
That was a beautiful pass by boyle, and Kapanen just burried it! Man, Washington and Chicago both losing tonight. Very unexpected
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

Even former Pens have the Caps number !!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

pens_CT wrote:Even former Pens have the Caps number !!
Kasperi making friends in TO!
~and I thought the Hawks were a lock coming from the west? That is why the games are played
Happy Easter!
SubtropicalPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by SubtropicalPenguin »

penny lane wrote:
Kasperi making friends in TO!
~and I thought the Hawks were a lock coming from the west? That is why the games are played
Happy Easter!
Happy Easter, indeed.

I didn't think Nashville would even have a shot to push the series 6 games, let alone take the first two (in Chicago!) I'm not sure what the odds look like for Chicago now, but they can't be good.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

KK has more goals in 1 game against the GREAT(snicker,snicker) Holtby and Caps than his entire career. :lol: :lol:
Caps will probably still win the series. They have a ton of talent, are fast and physical. But they lack 1 thing to win ALL the series. Intestinal fortitude.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Think the Cap fans are having doubts following last nights loss? Here is a sampling of the comments in the Washington Post:

"Here we go again. Frown"

"When we go into a game thinking, "OK, we let these guys get close but we learned our lesson and will trounce them now," we merely display the kind of arrogance that gets good teams beaten. "

"We are cursed, and it has not been lifted. We will go down in five."

"Not a surprise nor naysaying, playoff hockey is a specific style. Caps have never had the group to play it, just flashy style players geared to regular season hockey."

And my personal favorite: "I love Ovie, but... Clean breakaway in OT? He's got to bury that. Anyone here think Crosby wouldn't have buried that?"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/c ... b#comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

I just love how cocky the whole Washington team was after they squeaked out a win in overtime in game one. I think it was Trotz that said something along the lines of that game being a "wake up call", as if they were just going to flip a switch and squash those upstart Leafs.

Well, Barry, looks like your team decided to hit the snooze button, instead! :lol:
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

My oh my, how to explain what happened in Chi-town the last few days. Zero goals, zero wins.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Great58 »

Humperdink wrote:Think the Cap fans are having doubts following last nights loss? Here is a sampling of the comments in the Washington Post:

"When we go into a game thinking, "OK, we let these guys get close but we learned our lesson and will trounce them now," we merely display the kind of arrogance that gets good teams beaten. "

"Not a surprise nor naysaying, playoff hockey is a specific style. Caps have never had the group to play it, just flashy style players geared to regular season hockey."

And my personal favorite: "I love Ovie, but... Clean breakaway in OT? He's got to bury that. Anyone here think Crosby wouldn't have buried that?"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/c ... b#comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You could see all of those expressions on the faces of their fans after their OT loss. Same expression as when they were down 2-0 after 1 period in game 1. Get a grip! Playoff hockey isn't all about success, and if you can't stomach the tough times, then it probably isn't for you.

I fully expect the Caps to win this series, but I've allowed myself to start playing the "what if Babcock can really coach these boys up?" thinking to creep in. Either way, I appreciate the extra hockey they are having to play, both in a longer series and in the nearly 60 extra minutes of OT they've already seen.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Great58 wrote:
Humperdink wrote:Think the Cap fans are having doubts following last nights loss? Here is a sampling of the comments in the Washington Post:

You could see all of those expressions on the faces of their fans after their OT loss. Same expression as when they were down 2-0 after 1 period in game 1. Get a grip! Playoff hockey isn't all about success, and if you can't stomach the tough times, then it probably isn't for you.

I fully expect the Caps to win this series, but I've allowed myself to start playing the "what if Babcock can really coach these boys up?" thinking to creep in. Either way, I appreciate the extra hockey they are having to play, both in a longer series and in the nearly 60 extra minutes of OT they've already seen.

That is exactly how I feel. The Caps will win this series but it has not been a cakewalk so far. Need more OT and some wear on their legs. The Pens are going to be beat up and tired if they win their series
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

Humperdink wrote:
Skatingpen wrote:

Was it dirty?
As is typical with old #44, borderline. Polak was skating with the puck approaching the blueline and was kinda/sorta engaged with another Caps player. Orpik skated in "unannounced" and blew up Polak. Destroyed his right leg.
The hit didn't hurt him. When Polak went down after the impact his skate toe picked the ice and his ankle nearly twisted 180 as he sat on it... Certainly ankle sprain if not a break.

Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Or to put it another way (Chara v. Pacioretty) ........ "It wasn't Chara's push that did the damage, it was when his face made solid contact with dasher post that caused his injury."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jimZ1tSdPY0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Humperdink wrote:Or to put it another way (Chara v. Pacioretty) ........ "It wasn't Chara's push that did the damage, it was when his face made solid contact with dasher post that caused his injury."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jimZ1tSdPY0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Man Bortuzzo looks good
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Yep, Bortuzzo was leading a 2 on 1 at one point.