Now we're talkin!!!! Smaller goalie equipment.

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Now we're talkin!!!! Smaller goalie equipment.

Post by no name »

The chest protectors not only need reduced they need rounded and to contour with the roundness of the body. Right now they are flat. If you look at the old time photos those chest protectors were totally rounded around the chest and arms. The pants should be round and fit right.

I sure hope goals against go up with these goalie reductions, I would hate to see any other changes made to increase offense. I do like the games how they are I would just hope we see 1/2 a goal per game increase.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

I heard on NHL tonight from Elliot Freidman that this was doomed for failure, a lot of goalies and a lot of GMs got in the way of this, as they were scared on how it would effect them. Sure a lot more of the goalies got on board since then and it does look like it will get done but not until next season.

This season when the redesigned pants are all done they might be inserted mid season if the NHLPA is on board. But the chest protector and jerserys are not going to be set up til next year.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by André »

no name wrote:Been reading a ton about this as much as I can and most people think the goalies are plain scared of the new streamlined equipment. Not scared for their safety as much as knowing it will lead to more goals. How it will effect them and their stats and next contracts.

Even if goals do increase as long as you are in the top 5 in stats for goalies you will get paid like a top 5 goalie. weather you got a 1.99 GAA or a 2.50. if you are first in GAA you will get paid that same amount. In the next 2 seasons I think everything will be shrunk to a better size and goals will go up to the proper limit.

If you look at a goalie and he covers 70% of the net and you shrink his size to 65%, logic dictates more goals will be scored.
Exactly this. It's not relevant if you're number one in the league with a 2.70 GAA or 1.70 GAA. Either way you're number one in the league. The "their numbers will go up" argument just can't be taken seriously. It takes two seconds to see how irrelevant it is.