2016-17 NHL UFA signings, trades, etc.

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
SubtropicalPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: 2016-17 NHL UFA signings, trades, etc.

Post by SubtropicalPenguin »

DelPen wrote:
ville5 wrote:Yandle signs for 7 years with Florida, $6.35 million a year.
Amazing that this is what a slightly above average defenseman who's not exceptional at any one thing goes for in both term and money.
Wow, that's a big contract for Yandle. Do you think they even had to trade for his negotiating rights if they were going to put an offer like that out there? I can't think too many teams could/would match an offer like that that, both in terms of $$$ and term. Probably a million per year and about 2 more years than I would have thought.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

SubtropicalPenguin wrote:
DelPen wrote:
ville5 wrote:Yandle signs for 7 years with Florida, $6.35 million a year.
Amazing that this is what a slightly above average defenseman who's not exceptional at any one thing goes for in both term and money.
Wow, that's a big contract for Yandle. Do you think they even had to trade for his negotiating rights if they were going to put an offer like that out there? I can't think too many teams could/would match an offer like that that, both in terms of $$$ and term. Probably a million per year and about 2 more years than I would have thought.
I'm a bit surprised at the 7 years, but not the money. He made $5.25 his last contract and had several suitors at the deadline.
Both Yandle and Shattenkirk are around .45 pts/game for their careers. Maybe we could trade Olli for Shattenkirk.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Durbano »

I thought Yandle was much too old for such a long contract, but after looking it up I see he's only 29. He's been in the league since 2006.
Last edited by Durbano on Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

Durbano wrote:I thought Yandle was much too old for such a long contact, but after looking it up I see he's only 29. He's been in the league since 2006.
Also surprising, Yandle is the 2nd highest scoring defenseman since 2010. Behind only Karlsson.
143 of his career 246 points have come on the power play. Florida finished 23rd in the league at 16.9%. Huge signing.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

Andrew Shaw- 6 years, $3.9 million AAV with Habs.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Durbano »

Seems like an awfully big contract for Shaw. I know he's a battler and brings lots of intangibles but he's a 15-goal scorer. OTOH the Habs definitely needed grit.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

Forsberg at 6 years, $6 million per is a freaking steal. I'm jealous.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

Two separate sources are reporting that Milan Lucic has agreed to sign with Edmonton. Stay tuned.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

No one in PHX, including the hockey guys, know why Doan hasn't been re-signed yet. Especially since he convinced Goligoski to sign here and the team has reported a new arena deal (location not disclosed yet). Unless they are counting on Datsyuk to be the captain this year :lol:
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

wait, Yotes are getting a new arena? when did that happen? Gila River Arena's only been open for 13 years so that would be even more ridiculous than ATL replacing the GA Dome and Turner Field. I went to a game at Gila River Arena last Fall and thought it was a pretty nice arena and the adjoining entertainment complex was great too.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

shoeshine boy wrote:wait, Yotes are getting a new arena? when did that happen? Gila River Arena's only been open for 13 years so that would be even more ridiculous than ATL replacing the GA Dome and Turner Field. I went to a game at Gila River Arena last Fall and thought it was a pretty nice arena and the adjoining entertainment complex was great too.
Glendale voted to break the lease. They don't want the Coyotes there for some reason.

They will likely be building on one of the reservations so they have more control.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

Couple nice signings today.
Zucker- 2 year, $2 million AAV
Hertl- 2year, $3 million AAV
SubtropicalPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by SubtropicalPenguin »

Stamkos re-signing with Tampa, eight years $68 million, $8.5 AAV. Looks like a good deal for Tampa, that amount is just about right for him. I'm surprised it took this long to get done with those figures.

http://www.tsn.ca/stamkos-to-sign-eight ... g-1.517913
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Durbano »

Quite an afternoon. For some reason I'm glad Stamkos stayed in Tampa. Not sure what to make of Subban for Weber (who still has ten years left on his contract and is 30 years old).

Couple of guys on the Sirius NHL channel were speaking highly of Larsson and saying don't be too quick to bury Edmonton's GM for swapping Hall.
PensHckyFan79
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by PensHckyFan79 »

Read on Twitter that Toronto would have had to offer around 12 mill a year to match the offer from Tampa due to no state tax. That's a crazy bonus for being a GM in Florida or any other team located with no state tax.

The trades today not sure what to think. Edmonton needed D desperately and NJ could really use the up front talent. Seems to be a hockey trade Larson is still young and can grow into a #1 D man.

Subban for Weber all I know is loved to hate PK and don't want Weber in the east
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

PensHckyFan79 wrote:Read on Twitter that Toronto would have had to offer around 12 mill a year to match the offer from Tampa due to no state tax. That's a crazy bonus for being a GM in Florida or any other team located with no state tax.

The trades today not sure what to think. Edmonton needed D desperately and NJ could really use the up front talent. Seems to be a hockey trade Larson is still young and can grow into a #1 D man.

Subban for Weber all I know is loved to hate PK and don't want Weber in the east
The player with not state tax will pay for it if they decide to buy a house in Florida. The tax they pay when buying a home is insane.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Great58 »

PensHckyFan79 wrote:Read on Twitter that Toronto would have had to offer around 12 mill a year to match the offer from Tampa due to no state tax. That's a crazy bonus for being a GM in Florida or any other team located with no state tax.
I'm not sure that's accurate. Tampa players pay 40.2% in taxes, Tornonto 48.8%. So that's close to $700,000/year in additional taxes (less after agent fees), but no where near a $4 million gap. And yes, Florida makes up for it's lack of income tax in other ways. I imagine it is still pricier to live in downtown Toronto than Tampa, but the differences may be deceiving.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

If you do the straight-line math, it works out that $8.5m is the same as ~$12m, but thats not how it would actually work. Lots of reasons why, but its mostly because taxes are not calculated using straight line math. I read somewhere that it works out to be $10m as equivalent, which does seem reasonable.

Agree that there is potential for the Hall/Larsson swap to end up ok for EDM, but it would appear to be a hedge more than anything else. They shed some cap/salary, they get a good but unproven defender that could play top minutes, and its a huge gap to fill for them... but with all that, Taylor Hall has huge star potential, and if Edmonton was serious about winning now early in Connor McDavid's era there, he should have been untouchable. So with that, the range would seem to be 'Good' to 'Disaster', where if they would have targeted a more proven top-tier defender, no doubt it looks like an investment in winning.
BfromD
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by BfromD »

No idea what constitutes a confirmed signing these days with the social media/scoop blitz that days like today have become. That said, if the report of Darren Helm getting 5 x $3.85M per from the Red Wings is correct:

1. Egads, that is a HUGE overpayment IMO in term and amount...
2. My already low expectations of what the Pens will do, just approached the bottom of the y-axis (which BTW is fine by me; The Pens should George Jefferson Pimp-Walk into the season with confidence and see how the first few months play out before tweaking).
3. If this silliness continues (and why wouldn't it be realistic to expect exactly that), how long until the next lockout?

Edit: Adding TSN link: http://www.tsn.ca/helm-wings-agree-to-5 ... l-1.519091" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

Alex Radulov just signed with MTL....no contract details yet.
PensHckyFan79
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by PensHckyFan79 »

TSN shows Radulov 1 year 5.75M

Lovejoy to the Devils 3 years 2.66M per

E Staal to Minn never saw him landing there.

Ladd and Chimera to NYI

Okposo to Sabers

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/nhl-free-agent-tracker-1.322102 fun site to watch the deals come in
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

The money and years being handed out right now is insane.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

I think there's value in the Staal & Vanek signings. Granted, both are far removed from their peaks, but i think the money is worth taking a risk. The Backes deal is a bit high... maybe a million/year or so. Not a fan of the length, though.

The lucic deal, though... man, that's gonna look even worse in hindsight

I'm not a fan of the okposo contract, either
stonewizard51
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stonewizard51 »

Froggy wrote:I think there's value in the Staal & Vanek signings. Granted, both are far removed from their peaks, but i think the money is worth taking a risk. The Backes deal is a bit high... maybe a million/year or so. Not a fan of the length, though.

The lucic deal, though... man, that's gonna look even worse in hindsight

I'm not a fan of the okposo contract, either
Edmonton trades Hall and signs Lucic for the same money plus add a NMC to Lucic. IMO Edmonton just made a bad team worse.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Durbano »

Captain Leadership still available. Just saying.