Pavel Datsyuk confirms he is leaving the NHL

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Pavel Datsyuk confirms he is leaving the NHL

Post by Humperdink »

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hoc ... ter-season" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

" After a week of reports circulating, Datsyuk confirmed to Mitch Albom of the Detroit Free Press that he will return to Russia after this season, leaving one year remaining on his contract."

"Since Datsyuk's contract was signed as an over-35 contract, his full $7.5 million cap hit will still count against the Red Wings' salary cap next season whether he is there or not."
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Pavel Datsyuk confirms he is leaving the NHL

Post by Sigwolf »

That is well and truly screwing the Wings with that cap hit without him. Unless someone in the organization truly pissed him off on an epic level, I can't imagine him leaving the team that handicapped with just one year left on his contract. Not saying it won't happen, but man, that is a big "F you" to the only NHL team for which he has ever played. The odd timing of the announcement lends credence to something else going on behind the scenes, though.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

This points to something happening when the leadership/management changed. I understand the family side but this seems to be more of a "I want out" rather than "family matters"
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

I agree with Sigwolf regarding the timing. Announcing your abandoning the team at the start of your playoff run is more than strange.

The reaction from the Wing fans at their first playoff home game should be interesting.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

That's why I feel that it seems to be more of a holding up the middle finger while walking away kind of thing. It is like something happened and he is just, "You know what, F this!"
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

The Wings should have cause to get his contract revoked with no cap hit if he is in fact playing in another league. I get needing to eat the cap hit if you structured the deal to have a guy retire at the end but this shouldn't hurt the Wings.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Durbano »

I don't recall the co-hosts names but on NHL radio this morning, they said DET may be able to trade the contract to a team that needs to reach the cap floor.

At least for the moment, Datsyuk probably deserves the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he was just being too honest in a weak moment and wasn't thinking of the cap ramifications. He did walk it back today, apparently, saying he hasn't ruled out a return.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

There are rumors that Radulov wants to return to the NHL and he wants to play for the Red Wings. Wonder if they will have cap room to do this??
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by interstorm »

You never know...maybe some team that doesn't want to spend big will approach Detroit and say, "Give me a 2nd round pick and I'll take Datsyuk off your hands" -- this way they can reach the salary cap floor without having to spend money to do so. Wouldn't be the first time something like that happened...
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

interstorm wrote:You never know...maybe some team that doesn't want to spend big will approach Detroit and say, "Give me a 2nd round pick and I'll take Datsyuk off your hands" -- this way they can reach the salary cap floor without having to spend money to do so. Wouldn't be the first time something like that happened...
True. My Arizona Coyotes Pronger jersey turned out to be a bust. :(