Official 2015-2016 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Official 2015-2016 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Post by pronovost19 »

Steelers have nobody to blame but themselves. The talent is there. The players they need have been drafted. They simply do not get the job done under pressure. Not a great team, just a group of talented individuals.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

pretty amazing how Arians has blossomed after leaving the steelers organization...
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Steve »

Everyone predicted a blowout game. The sad thing was that the Ravens were one bonehead offsides penalty away from pulling that off.

On a personal note - special thanks to the Ravens secondary, who decided to just tackle two of my fantasy league receivers and take PI penalties, every time they were going for big plays or TDs.
Southern Fan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Southern Fan »

The sportscasters were saying all month that the Steelers were the team no one wanted to play in the playoffs. There are two coaches out there that would play them every week if they could- Bill Belichek and John Harbaugh.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Steve wrote:Everyone predicted a blowout game. The sad thing was that the Ravens were one bonehead offsides penalty away from pulling that off.

On a personal note - special thanks to the Ravens secondary, who decided to just tackle two of my fantasy league receivers and take PI penalties, every time they were going for big plays or TDs.
I had Ben on my fantasy team today. At one point I think he was generating negative #'s for me.
Paul Baxter
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Paul Baxter »

I continue to be so disgusted with Tomlin's decision-making on the field. His decision to forgo a sure 3 points with a field goal on he opening drive and go for it on a fourth-and-two on the Baltimore 21 yard line was just plain stupid. So, rather than getting 3 points from a decent opening drive, the Steelers end it nothing to show for it.

Also, what's with taking two very valuable timeouts early in the third period.....because the offense wasn't ready? What is up with that?!? Taking timeouts early in the third period is inexcusable. Tomlin continues to make these idiotic calls on the field which is costing the team wins.

Remember the unbelievably idiotic call in the Seattle game when Tomlin tried the fake field goal pass that was intercepted. Seattle read it all the way. A moron could have seen that coming. It resulted in a 10-point swing in favor of Seattle and changed the outcome of the game.

I have been of the opinion for years that Tomlin is a tremendously over-rated coach and should be replaced. Get a coach who knows how to make proper decisions on the field as well as having his team properly prepared.
Paul Baxter
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Paul Baxter »

pronovost19 wrote:Steelers have nobody to blame but themselves. The talent is there. The players they need have been drafted. They simply do not get the job done under pressure. Not a great team, just a group of talented individuals.
I strongly disagree. The talent is there on offense, but definitely not on defense. Jarvis Jones is a complete bust. Kevin Colbert and Tomlin made a huge mistake in picking him in the first round. Other teams knew that Jarvis Jones did not have the speed and strength deserving of a first-round selection. It was an incredibly bad pick by Colbert and Tomlin. Also, Shazier has been disappointing thus far in his career and seems like he may simply be too small to be an NFL linebacker. And Dupree also has shown very little thus far in his rookie season. He has been practically invisible the last 5 games of the season. And, needless to say, the secondary sorely lacks talent. Antowon Blake ranks near the bottom of all cornerbacks in the entire league and they have no quality depth at safety. They badly need an infusion of better talent in the secondary. Last but not least, they lack talent at the critical nose tackle position. Steve McClendon is mediocre at best. He continually gets taken out of running plays by opposing offensive lineman. The whole defense needs to be revamped with better talent.
Zarovich
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Zarovich »

Paul Baxter wrote:I continue to be so disgusted with Tomlin's decision-making on the field. His decision to forgo a sure 3 points with a field goal on he opening drive and go for it on a fourth-and-two on the Baltimore 21 yard line was just plain stupid. So, rather than getting 3 points from a decent opening drive, the Steelers end it nothing to show for it.

Also, what's with taking two very valuable timeouts early in the third period.....because the offense wasn't ready? What is up with that?!? Taking timeouts early in the third period is inexcusable. Tomlin continues to make these idiotic calls on the field which is costing the team wins.

Remember the unbelievably idiotic call in the Seattle game when Tomlin tried the fake field goal pass that was intercepted. Seattle read it all the way. A moron could have seen that coming. It resulted in a 10-point swing in favor of Seattle and changed the outcome of the game.

I have been of the opinion for years that Tomlin is a tremendously over-rated coach and should be replaced. Get a coach who knows how to make proper decisions on the field as well as having his team properly prepared.
I didn't have a problem going for it early deep in the Ravens end. I would also have been fine with a field goal. Of the teams offenses and defenses, before the game, the Steelers offense would obviously be the superior of the four units.

Tomlin has never been a good clock manager. The early timeouts in the third are awful. How they were unable to get a play in and ready to go is terrible. It seems like they don't even get to the line with more than 10 seconds on the play and most other teams have 15 or more. I don't know who that is on.
jf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by jf »

Zarovich wrote:
Paul Baxter wrote:I continue to be so disgusted with Tomlin's decision-making on the field. His decision to forgo a sure 3 points with a field goal on he opening drive and go for it on a fourth-and-two on the Baltimore 21 yard line was just plain stupid. So, rather than getting 3 points from a decent opening drive, the Steelers end it nothing to show for it.

I didn't have a problem going for it early deep in the Ravens end. I would also have been fine with a field goal. Of the teams offenses and defenses, before the game, the Steelers offense would obviously be the superior of the four units.

Tomlin has never been a good clock manager. The early timeouts in the third are awful. How they were unable to get a play in and ready to go is terrible. It seems like they don't even get to the line with more than 10 seconds on the play and most other teams have 15 or more. I don't know who that is on.
Ok to go on the fourth and one , but you don't hand the ball off five yards deep in the backfield when you need one yard .
Paul Baxter
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Paul Baxter »

jf wrote:
Zarovich wrote:

Ok to go on the fourth and one , but you don't hand the ball off five yards deep in the backfield when you need one yard .
It wasn't fourth-and-one. It was fourth-and-two. That's a big difference on a fourth down play. Anyway, if they were inside the Ravens' five yard line, then I could see maybe going for it, but not on the Ravens' 21 yard line. There is no way you do anything other than get a sure three points with what would have been a 38-yard field goal. Another boneheaded gamble by Tomlin that didn't work.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

I've become resolved that Tomlin is not getting fired until this team starts losing money which just won't happen barring him running the team into the ground to become the Browns.

But Colbert has a very poor drafting record and questionable depth signings and needs to go. Haley too, not sure how much input he is having in the play calling but if it's mostly him he's an idiot, if it's not we need an OC who has a stronger presence to overrule Tomlin on the play calls and manage the clock on offense. Pretty much need an associate coach to run the technical part of the game.

I hope if we don't make the playoffs we get a change in those two guys at least. Butler didn't do horrible and had not much to work with so I expect he will be back. But I can count the guys on one hand for the defense I'd want to keep around, the rest all need upgraded. Offense is actually fine if healthy, it's the decision making there.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

So off to Cincy and then Denver. Best situation I guess and keeps us out of New England as long as possible.
Zarovich
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Zarovich »

DelPen wrote:So off to Cincy and then Denver. Best situation I guess and keeps us out of New England as long as possible.
What would you put the chances of a Steelers-Chiefs AFC title game? I could see it happen.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Anyone know what day/time the steelers/bengals game will be?
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

Saturday 8:15 in the p.m.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Zarovich wrote:
DelPen wrote:So off to Cincy and then Denver. Best situation I guess and keeps us out of New England as long as possible.
What would you put the chances of a Steelers-Chiefs AFC title game? I could see it happen.
It is without question the best path for the Steelers. Kinda depends on DeAngelo's health and if Ben has a game. We know what we are going see out of our secondary (argh).

KC matches up better than probably anybody else against the Pats.

Best line from yesterday (from a NY newspaper): "Rex Ryan kept the Jets out of the playoffs for the fifth year in a row".
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Love the 2 yard pass into triple coverage when we need five yards.

Even if this team ends up winning the super bowl both Haley and Colbert need to go
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Hey, let's tackle a guy for 8 yards to get them a first down. **** defense.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Isn't taking your helmet off a penalty?
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Karma for Nelson being a total dick when Munchak was trying to slow him down and pushed him.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

Steelers look like the team with the inexperienced qb
Throw on first down haley
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

pronovost19 wrote:Steelers look like the team with the inexperienced qb
Throw on first down haley
How much is the rain screwing with the passing game on both sides?
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

Haley needs to go
America
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by America »

First down run. Like clockwork.