Is it time? Bigger nets in the NHL

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Poll ended at Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:01 pm

Yes...the game has changed, players have changed, other sports have adapted...so should the NHL.
58%
Yes...I want more goals...I don't care how
17%
No...keep the cage 4x6...I like 2-1 hockey games
17%
No...I just don't like change
8%

Total votes: 12

Realist
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Realist »

Gang....we are at the nuclear option here. Scoring won't come back for several reasons: 1) Systems are more defensive 2) Players (goalies) are bigger 3) NHL referering still stinks to high heaven.

So....they can't enforce smaller goalie equipment. They cannot give more power plays (which I'm not in favor of), etc.

I'm sick of the game I loved as a kid growing up in the 80's turned into the boring crap that we see today. So...I'm in favor of bigger nets.

See the poll below:
Zarovich
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Is it time? Bigger nets in the NHL

Post by Zarovich »

Enforce the rulebook. Call the penalties. The game could open up if players can't get away with stuff. Refs need to be consistent from period to period, game to game all season long.
dey soff
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by dey soff »

There is absolutely no way the fan base grows with the current product. I used to never miss a game on TV and went to several games a year. Now, the games aren't a priority and I have no desire to see a game live. It's just not exciting. The occasional stellar defensive performance sells, not the other way around. It is so deflating.
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dagny »

I was surprised to find out, last night, that the goalies don't wear proportional equipment. That might be a place to start since the idea of changing the net size freaks so many people out. :lol:
Realist
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Realist »

The NHL has tried to make the refs call the game better....the NHL has tried to get the goalies to reduce the equipment size...both have failed.

Bigger nets will 1) make most of the shots that currently hit the posts go in 2) encourage Guy Lafluer type slappers from the wing. 3) more area that the goalie cant cover during breakaways/deflections, etc.
Realist
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Realist »

I want hockey that displays more of this:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NRioRPTxjM[/youtube]

and the players need to see this to score:

not see this:

no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

Call more penalties and stream line the goalie equipment. Don't allow players to leave their skates to block shots, no more laying down to block shots or on a 2 on 1 to break up a play.

As much as I would favor the more penalties, you got to find a way to create more scoring changes. Coaches coach not to lose and they are allowed to do that. But it really does slow the game down decreasing scoring. Create more scoring chances. I don't know how to tweak the game to do that.
IMFC
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IMFC »

It's dumb to think that if your players get bigger AND faster that you won't have to adjust either the rules or the dimensions of the environment if you want to keep the same level of flow to the game.

It was lazy and brain dead to let the goalie equipment get to this point.

And you only have to look at the nfl to see how to set rules to allow skill players to show off their talents.

I say - both hands on the stick, can't use the stick as a weapon. Easy to see, easy to enforce, opens up the ice. This way I never have to see Chara cover half the ice with his 20 foot long cartoon stick, never have to see Crosby whack some guy in the thigh 50 times in a row coming up the ice, and I never, ever see anyone grab anyone ever again.

Get on skates - hit the puck - with a stick - towards a teammate or a goal. Stop enabling players that aren't very good at those things.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Can it be as simple a going back to having a team serve the whole penalty no matter how many the other team score? I would imagine that would not only increase scoring but also have the side effect of players not doing as much that could potentially be called a penalty?
Realist
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Realist »

Skatingpen wrote:Can it be as simple a going back to having a team serve the whole penalty no matter how many the other team score? I would imagine that would not only increase scoring but also have the side effect of players not doing as much that could potentially be called a penalty?
No...this has been experimented with and wasn't really succesful. I was foolish enough to believe that eliminating the center red line (allowing 2 line passes) would solve the problem out of the lockout....I was 100% wrong.
Guido
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Guido »

As others have said, it is simple:

Call the penalties which will naturally open up the game

Trim the goalie equipment as has been discussed previously.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Great58 »

I think the NHL wants the interference on forechecking to remain uncalled, they think it leads to fewer injuries. So they will never reliably enforce the rule book. And I'd be surprised if the NHLPA allows for significant goal pad reductions, they will cite safety issues (and a majority of their goaltender members benefit from the oversized pads). So I think bigger nets are the only reliable way to increase scoring and highlight talent in the game.
Realist
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Realist »

Great58 wrote:I think the NHL wants the interference on forechecking to remain uncalled, they think it leads to fewer injuries. So they will never reliably enforce the rule book. And I'd be surprised if the NHLPA allows for significant goal pad reductions, they will cite safety issues (and a majority of their goaltender members benefit from the oversized pads). So I think bigger nets are the only reliable way to increase scoring and highlight talent in the game.
Amen Great58!! The bigger nets will take bad officiating, oversized pads, etc out of the equation. Plus, you won't notice it on TV. Although, we might think we are back in the 1980's with goalies actually having to "move" to make a save. The "slapper from the wing" might come back too, etc.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

Great58 wrote:I think the NHL wants the interference on forechecking to remain uncalled, they think it leads to fewer injuries. So they will never reliably enforce the rule book. And I'd be surprised if the NHLPA allows for significant goal pad reductions, they will cite safety issues (and a majority of their goaltender members benefit from the oversized pads). So I think bigger nets are the only reliable way to increase scoring and highlight talent in the game.
A lot of goaltenders want the size of the gear reduced, including Fleury, as they feel it'll create more separation between the guys who are good because they're talented and the guy who are "good" because their equipment is so bulky.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

I know the old school mentality of the GMs will not permit the nets to get bigger. I wouldn't like that at all. I do think it comes down to goalie equipment. The technology is there to get the equipment smaller and just as safe. Get a goalie committee together and have goalies get measured and fitted for their equipment. Pants and Jerserys that fit. Chest protectors that are curved to the demenisions of your body. Gloves and blockers should be trimmed a bit.

Even with the goalies equipment fitted I think the game will need to be tweaked a bit. I think more quality shots need to be put on net. No more dropping to your knees or laying down to block shots. One skate must be on the ice at all time. If you fall down you got to get back up.

I am also would like to see the goalies get more protected in their crease. Players are not allowed in the crease at all. One skate in the whistle blows and a face off outside the zone. On the other hand remove the trapezoid and allow the goalies to roam, at their own risk. If they are out of that crease they are fair game.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Great58 »

tfrizz wrote:
A lot of goaltenders want the size of the gear reduced, including Fleury, as they feel it'll create more separation between the guys who are good because they're talented and the guy who are "good" because their equipment is so bulky.
I know Fleury is in favor of reform, as are a few of the more athletic net minders. But I still think the majority of NHL goalies benefit from bigger pads, or at least would be hesitant to readily give them up. So I think the NHLPA will be opposed to significant pad size restrictions, citing safety, but really protecting job security for a sizable portion of their current goal tending members.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

Great58 wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
I know Fleury is in favor of reform, as are a few of the more athletic net minders. But I still think the majority of NHL goalies benefit from bigger pads, or at least would be hesitant to readily give them up. So I think the NHLPA will be opposed to significant pad size restrictions, citing safety, but really protecting job security for a sizable portion of their current goal tending members.
They did it a few years ago and the NHLPA has given consent to more reductions. I think even goalies have realized it gotten out of hand. Broudear said the first time they made pads smaller, that smaller pads will make the athletic goalies even better.

All in all I made my mind up to get more scoring without changing the game to much. I got a 3 point plan.

1. "The Long change" switch the 1st and 3rd period to the teams making the long change. it would produce a little more offense.

2. Form fitting goalie equipment. Just trim the edges off and make the equipment form fitting. Goalies get fitted for equipment and have to use it for the whole year. This would increase the amount of goals that go in and might usher in a new era of Normal size goalies. But a huge bonus if you are big and althletic.

3. Most power plays should run the full 2 minutes. All stick infractions would be 2 minute majors. Slashing hooking, cross checking, then even boarding and interference will be the full 2 minutes. Delay of game, to many men and those penalties can be the traditional one and done.

Coaches wouldn't have to do anything different to coach in this NHL.
sicmetal6
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by sicmetal6 »

I would like to see kicking the puck in net to be allowed, and bevel the net posts and crossbar to angle the puck more inward than out. I'm terrible at geometry so I don't even know if that's possible.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Great58 »

sicmetal6 wrote:I would like to see kicking the puck in net to be allowed, and bevel the net posts and crossbar to angle the puck more inward than out. I'm terrible at geometry so I don't even know if that's possible.
goalies don't like skates kicking at them when they are down on the ice.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Different take

http://tl.gd/n_1so01gb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

Now this rink design is a bit radical but the one thing I like is the blue shaded area around the benches. The rule would be you can't make a line change until your player reaches that blue area. This would lead to more open ice in the netural zone. This combined with moving the 1st and 3rd period long line changes could produce significant results.

This kind of thing has become all to common in todays game. Just this little change would help to open ice up and could create odd man breaks.
Odista54

Post by Odista54 »

no name wrote:I know the old school mentality of the GMs will not permit the nets to get bigger. I wouldn't like that at all. I do think it comes down to goalie equipment. The technology is there to get the equipment smaller and just as safe paris shuttle. Get a goalie committee together and have goalies get measured and fitted for their equipment. Pants and Jerserys that fit. Chest protectors that are curved to the demenisions of your body. Gloves and blockers should be trimmed a bit.

Even with the goalies equipment fitted I think the game will need to be tweaked a bit. I think more quality shots need to be put on net. No more dropping to your knees or laying down to block shots. One skate must be on the ice at all time. If you fall down you got to get back up.

I am also would like to see the goalies get more protected in their crease. Players are not allowed in the crease at all. One skate in the whistle blows and a face off outside the zone. On the other hand remove the trapezoid and allow the goalies to roam, at their own risk. If they are out of that crease they are fair game.
It's true that "One skate must be on the ice at all time" but not necessarily