How to Increase Scoring

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Penfan64
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

How to Increase Scoring

Post by Penfan64 »

http://www.tsn.ca/three-ways-to-increas ... l-1.392654" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good read. I think it is the first time I have heard a person associated with TSN talk about calling all penalties. We can say it is subjective,, but to me that is the biggest factor in scoring. Giving teams 10 power plays a night will lead to scoring. I may also mean the Pens get buried due to the inept PP but I think it is a great first step.

The crease rule is interesting. I have not seen much international to know. Anyone out there see that impact?

With technology today goalie pads should be tiny compared to forty years ago. Time to redesign for safety only.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: How to Increase Scoring

Post by Jim »

Equipment size is key. I would love to see a side by side of something like Barrasso's Cup winning glove and FLeury's glove today.

But on a side note... Something that i have not paid attention to. If a goal is scored, reviewed and waved off due to offsides, is the clock rolled back to the time of the offside?
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

Jim wrote: If a goal is scored, reviewed and waved off due to offsides, is the clock rolled back to the time of the offside?
Yes it is
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

Don't change the size of the nets, force goalies to wear equipment to conform. Goalies wearing the xxxl jersery and pants that are 3 sizes to big. Chest protectors should conform not be flat surfaces. Increase the power plays called, Refs should be blind to who and why calls are made, a infraction is a penalty. Call it.

I am not asking for much, I would like to see the scoring champ win the race with over 120 points. and see the return of multi- 50 goal scorers. Seeing goalies with 1.50 GAA isn't that exciting.

Only other thing I heard that I kind thought was a good idea is players can't laydown on the ice to block a shot.
Last edited by no name on Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Take the Body Shoot the Puck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Take the Body Shoot the Puck »

Daniel wrote:
Jim wrote: If a goal is scored, reviewed and waved off due to offsides, is the clock rolled back to the time of the offside?
Yes it is
This happened 2-3 games ago when we had a Hornqvist PP goal taken away because he was offside. I think they put about 90 s back on the clock.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

no name wrote:Image

Don't change the size of the nets, force goalies to wear equipment to conform. Goalies wearing the xxxl jersery and pants that are 3 sizes to big. Chest protectors should conform not be flat surfaces. Increase the power plays called, Refs should be blind to who and why calls are made, a infraction is a penalty. Call it.

I am not asking for much, I would like to see the scoring champ win the race with over 120 points. and see the return of multi- 50 goal scorers. Seeing goalies with 1.50 GAA isn't that exciting.

Only other thing I heard that I kind thought was a good idea is players can't laydown on the ice to block a shot.
In addition to this, I think you make the crease smaller in size. That way, for the goalie to be 'protected' it will force them to stay in that smaller area. Being in the smaller area it will make them play deeper in net and theoretically should open up more shooting area when teams have possession in the offensive zone. Goalies are still going to come out and challenge the shooters so it shouldn't be much of an issue. Combine that with conforming equipment, you should see an increase in scoring.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Luckybreak »

Penfan64 wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/three-ways-to-increas ... l-1.392654

Good read. I think it is the first time I have heard a person associated with TSN talk about calling all penalties. We can say it is subjective,, but to me that is the biggest factor in scoring. Giving teams 10 power plays a night will lead to scoring. I may also mean the Pens get buried due to the inept PP but I think it is a great first step.

The crease rule is interesting. I have not seen much international to know. Anyone out there see that impact?

With technology today goalie pads should be tiny compared to forty years ago. Time to redesign for safety only.
This is a great article. Agree 100% with the 'call the penalties' and 'crease rule'. Take the ambiguity out, stop managing games and call the game as it should be. More penalties will result in more scoring, and less clutch/grab/obstruction etc will also result in more scoring. WIN-WIN!

However, I disagree STRONGLY with calls to reduce goalie kit to 'safety only'. If they are going to do that then players should have wooden sticks, leather skates and no plastic in the body armour. Will that make the game better? No it won't. They already reduced goalie pad and glove size with no increase in scoring. I'll admit his was needed but pads and gloves are now at a reasonable size, comparable to the 80s and earlier. Google 1980s Goalie and tell me their gloves and leg pads are tiny! The difference is that modern kit is a fraction of the weight thus allowing faster reactions and less fatigue. What is dramatically larger now is the chest/arm and pants - these could certainly be more form fitting.

Goalies are only partially responsible for the decrease in scoring. The 'nuclear arms race' of player vs goalie equipment has been beneficial to both parties and should not be brought to a halt. It would also be unfair to discount or even reverse the tremendous strides that have been made in the coaching of and techniques employed by goalies in the last 15-20 years. No, the main reason scoring is down is because players can take advantage of the comically poor and predictable officiating. Combine that with the increase in defensive coaching systems and shot blocking (now considered a team responsibility) and you get the stifling mess we 'enjoy' today. But don't blame the goalies!
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

Penalties are the big thing. The single biggest discrepancy in goal scoring between now and the 80s is powerplay goals. Teams this season are scoring approximately 0.6 powerplay goals per game; teams in the 80s were scoring 1.2. Teams in 2005-06 were scoring right around 1. And it's not due to a lack of efficiency; teams this season have received half as many powerplay opportunities per game as they did in 2005-06.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

Stream line and round the goalie equipment and I think scoring will go up just enough to make people happy. Also the technology is there to make the equipment smaller and just as safe.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

Stream line and round the goalie equipment and I think scoring will go up just enough to make people happy. Also the technology is there to make the equipment smaller and just as safe.
It is, but can they do it in a cost-effective manner? Keep in mind that whatever the NHL uses, everyone uses. So while an NHL team might not have trouble dropping $1000 on a higher tech C/A protector, how will that affect the rest of the hockey world? How many kids playing goal right now are going to stop because they can't afford the new equipment?

I see a lot of people argue that goalie gear is too big, but how much can you reduce it while keeping it safe? We've seen Fleury break a finger catching a slap shot. Semyon Varlamov broke his collar bone in a slapper from the top of the circle in March. So what happens if you make the reduction and suddenly half the league's starters are out with broken bones? That's my concern, especially since the NHL seems to be rushing in changes - the smaller equipment they're requiring for next season, for example, apparently won't be given to the goalies until training camp. It's basically going to be "here's some new smaller gear, try not to get hurt".

I don't disagree that changes can be made, I just don't want to see them doing exactly what they're doing - rushing.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Luckybreak »

Pruezy11881 wrote:

In addition to this, I think you make the crease smaller in size. That way, for the goalie to be 'protected' it will force them to stay in that smaller area. Being in the smaller area it will make them play deeper in net and theoretically should open up more shooting area when teams have possession in the offensive zone. Goalies are still going to come out and challenge the shooters so it shouldn't be much of an issue. Combine that with conforming equipment, you should see an increase in scoring.
re laying on the ice and shot blocking I don't think it is fair to take away an aspect of the game that some players excel at, e.g. the trapezoid and goalies with good puck handling. A smaller crease is an interesting suggestion, I don't think it targets specific skill set, isn't as big of a change as larger nets, and could be effective. The problem I see is goalies standing outside the crease getting steam-rolled by players because they are 'fair-game'.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Luckybreak »

tfrizz wrote:
It is, but can they do it in a cost-effective manner? Keep in mind that whatever the NHL uses, everyone uses. So while an NHL team might not have trouble dropping $1000 on a higher tech C/A protector, how will that affect the rest of the hockey world? How many kids playing goal right now are going to stop because they can't afford the new equipment?

I see a lot of people argue that goalie gear is too big, but how much can you reduce it while keeping it safe? We've seen Fleury break a finger catching a slap shot. Semyon Varlamov broke his collar bone in a slapper from the top of the circle in March. So what happens if you make the reduction and suddenly half the league's starters are out with broken bones? That's my concern, especially since the NHL seems to be rushing in changes - the smaller equipment they're requiring for next season, for example, apparently won't be given to the goalies until training camp. It's basically going to be "here's some new smaller gear, try not to get hurt".

I don't disagree that changes can be made, I just don't want to see them doing exactly what they're doing - rushing.
I agree tfrizz, singling out the goalies and rushing changes that could result in 5+mil starters consistently out due to broken bones is a bad idea. The trickle down in terms of every other goalie in the world having to shell out for the new NHL spec kit is extremely valid. If changes are to be made to CA and goalie pants there should be a 3-5 year window for non-pro leagues to conform.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

Luckybreak wrote:
Pruezy11881 wrote:

re laying on the ice and shot blocking I don't think it is fair to take away an aspect of the game that some players excel at, e.g. the trapezoid and goalies with good puck handling. A smaller crease is an interesting suggestion, I don't think it targets specific skill set, isn't as big of a change as larger nets, and could be effective. The problem I see is goalies standing outside the crease getting steam-rolled by players because they are 'fair-game'.
I agree that the potential for that scenario increases. But I also think that it would go along the lines of goalies being forced to stay closer to the protected area to avoid that. If they don't want to get knocked around stay within your limits. And it would also fall on the refs to consistently call interference penalties when it does occur.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Luckybreak »

Pruezy11881 wrote:
Luckybreak wrote:
Pruezy11881 wrote:

I agree that the potential for that scenario increases. But I also think that it would go along the lines of goalies being forced to stay closer to the protected area to avoid that. If they don't want to get knocked around stay within your limits. And it would also fall on the refs to consistently call interference penalties when it does occur.
Would be worth investigating, though I hate to say I have limited faith in the refs consistently calling anything lol!

What are the objections to Olympic size ice surfaces? Would this not allow more space and open the game a little?

Wouldn't it be great to get rid of all the clutching, grabbing, obstruction, soft calls, missed calls, make-up calls and see an increase in power plays, PP goals and even strength scoring. If only there was a simple way of achieving this...
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

Look at the old glove and the new... Just slim down the wrist cheater from 8 inches to 5 1/2 inches, that in return would slim down the entire glove. An 80s chest protector was rounded to the arm and chest. Look at the arm protection on the new chest protector. its flat and 2xs as large as a goalies arm. round it. so pucks deflect in the net. Not hit it and fall infront of the goalie to cover it.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Luckybreak »

no name wrote:Look at the old glove and the new... Just slim down the wrist cheater from 8 inches to 5 1/2 inches, that in return would slim down the entire glove. An 80s chest protector was rounded to the arm and chest. Look at the arm protection on the new chest protector. its flat and 2xs as large as a goalies arm. round it. so pucks deflect in the net. Not hit it and fall infront of the goalie to cover it.
CA and pants are the problem. Look at the 80s waffle board, that certainly looks longer than current regulations permit. The 80's pads also had more depth than current pads as the materials necessitated a thicker build to provide protection. However, no mistake can be made comparing the CA units, modern CAs make you look like you could defeat Megatron in hand to hand combat!
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

tfrizz wrote:

Penalties are the big thing. The single biggest discrepancy in goal scoring between now and the 80s is powerplay goals. Teams this season are scoring approximately 0.6 powerplay goals per game; teams in the 80s were scoring 1.2. Teams in 2005-06 were scoring right around 1. And it's not due to a lack of efficiency; teams this season have received half as many powerplay opportunities per game as they did in 2005-06.
Not only that but 2 minutes should be full 2 minutes. Score at will can help. For one thing, teams might be more inclined to score off the rush rather than pass and score with 2 seconds left. By trying to score multiple times, they can also leave open SH chances.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

Luckybreak wrote:
Pruezy11881 wrote:
Luckybreak wrote:
Pruezy11881 wrote:

Would be worth investigating, though I hate to say I have limited faith in the refs consistently calling anything lol!

What are the objections to Olympic size ice surfaces? Would this not allow more space and open the game a little?

Wouldn't it be great to get rid of all the clutching, grabbing, obstruction, soft calls, missed calls, make-up calls and see an increase in power plays, PP goals and even strength scoring. If only there was a simple way of achieving this...
Olympic size rinks would allow for more speed and fluid skating but I don't think it would do anything to promote more scoring. The reason I say this is just because there is more room in the offensive zone, teams that play good D will just pack it in towards the center of the ice and keep the attacking team around the perimeter. There is much less threat of being scored on when you can't get to the prime scoring areas...much like we've seen the Pens fail to do in the playoffs for example.

Not to mention that owners in the league wouldn't take too kindly to losing rows of seats the bring in revenue. Tickets aren't overly affordable now (by middle class standards :) ) I'd hate to see what the prices would go to...
mayday56
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by mayday56 »

3 things I think would work well .....

1. shrink goalie equipment....this is happening

2. Keep the Goalies in the crease. No playing the puck behind the net...Drastic I know but it sure would work

3. I really like the Idea that once the attacking team enters the zone (crosses the blue line) then everything this side of center now becomes the offensive zone. This would give talented teams much more room to set up plays.

I know the last 2 are kind of radical but the owners aren't going to give up high dollar seats to make the ice surface bigger. something needs to be done.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

I honestly don't think the gloves and blockers are the main issue.....it is the chest/shoulder and leg pads that have gotten out of control. I can see the glove hand has a bit too big of a wrist protector, that could be shortened a bit, but other than that I wouldn't make many changes there. I've posted this in the past, but if you want to take a look at the evolution of goalie equipment, look at Hasek. He played at the beginning of the end of the scoring era, the early 90's, through 2005. Do a google search on Hasek images to see the difference:

Here is one of the smaller ones, with Blackhawks: Image

And here he looks like he put on 75 pounds: Image

Here the jersey is fine, but the blocker looks enlarged, and the leg pads are definitely wider, probably 2-3 inches wider: Image

And here, the blocker seems to have shrunk to normal, but the leg pads are still big, and the chest area is enlarged and the loose jersey gives no room to shoot under the blocker or glove:
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

Hay, thanks for the pics but I meant together for scale.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

FLPensFan wrote:I honestly don't think the gloves and blockers are the main issue.....it is the chest/shoulder and leg pads that have gotten out of control. I can see the glove hand has a bit too big of a wrist protector, that could be shortened a bit, but other than that I wouldn't make many changes there. I've posted this in the past, but if you want to take a look at the evolution of goalie equipment, look at Hasek. He played at the beginning of the end of the scoring era, the early 90's, through 2005. Do a google search on Hasek images to see the difference:

Here is one of the smaller ones, with Blackhawks: Image

And here he looks like he put on 75 pounds: Image

Here the jersey is fine, but the blocker looks enlarged, and the leg pads are definitely wider, probably 2-3 inches wider: Image

And here, the blocker seems to have shrunk to normal, but the leg pads are still big, and the chest area is enlarged and the loose jersey gives no room to shoot under the blocker or glove:
Leg pads have already been addressed, several times now, by the NHL. When Hasek played, the pads were 12" wide and no real limit on the height. They're now 11" wide and with a max height proportionate to the height of the goalie.

Here's a page that addresses the changes in regulations on goalie equipment going back to 2003: http://www.milehighhockey.com/2012/3/9/ ... nt-edition" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It doesn't have the more recent changes, like the reduction in height of the thigh rise. Needless to say, they've been screwing around with goalie equipment every couple years for over a decade now. At some point they're going to have to realize that today's lower scoring NHL isn't because of big goalies, it's because the game is being played with a defense-first mentality.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

Just trying to show some other reference photos in regards to the topic, in addition to FLPF's evolution of Hasek. Goalies are clearly bigger in stature, the cuffs on the gloves are bigger, and the leg pads are somewhat bigger. But the big things, as others have pointed out, are the pants, jersey, and the uppers.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

2. Keep the Goalies in the crease. No playing the puck behind the net...Drastic I know but it sure would work
I think they didn't like this idea since they thought is the goalie playing the puck help decrese putting the defenceman in a helpless position always playing the puck.

Someone mentioned the Olympic sized rink..... Think of the cost to every arena in the league to make the ice 20 feet wider. If they did this in the 90s when new arenas were being put up it might of had a chance. But not today. I think it would help scoring but not a ton.
dey soff
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by dey soff »

Eliminate the offside violation altogether during 5 on 5 play. I think this would open play up a little bit creating more exciting high speed chances.

Form fitting jerseys for the goalies.

Enforce the rulebook, players are smart and will adjust.