30 min waits for entry into CEC

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: 30 min waits for entry into CEC

Post by Jim »

I'm not sure how having to go through metal detectors is being mistreated, at all... How about stop being a bunch of morons and leave your metal stuff in your car/at home? Put my keys, wallet and phone in the container; walk through; grab my stuff and go. Took less time than the wand.

In general, I am against the pat downs, wand, detector, etc... but all you have to do is actually use your brain and they are not a problem at all.
Realist
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Realist »

no name wrote:Its a small price to pay for our safety.
Except that according to those who've actually studied security measures, there is zero evidence that metal detectors are going to make anyone safer. In fact, it's even possible that new security measures could make sports fans less safe:

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/m ... looks-like" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Again, I wouldn't mind it if CEC was not with public funds....but taking away CCW's rights in a PUBLICLY FUNDED stadium is...
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by netwolf »

Either this was specific to Saturday night, or I just have good timing. I went last Tuesday and Thursday, there wasn't much of a line (less than 5 minutes) either night.
Fat Old Frank
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Fat Old Frank »

Bathgate wrote:Speaking of being mistreated, I know it doesn't bother many or most people, but the cold temperature in the CEC is a real turnoff to me. It's about 60 degrees with a wind chill (a constant downdraft). I can wear a winter coat and my hands still get uncomfortably icy. This may cause me to give up my season tix sooner than otherwise. It wouldn't be so bothersome if the result of the cold were good ice, but the ice still bad. I think there are many other fans who hate how cold it is in there too. The Pens are stupid to keep it that extremely cold.
you said it buddy. The cold wind in the upper deck is completely unreasonable. The seats next to mine are given out by a law firm to clients so there's usually someone different in the seats. 90% of the people who sit there complain about the cold. They need the cold on the ice, not on the fans.
I disagree vehemently that's it's a small price. People are starting to forget what it's like to live in a free country.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Fat Old Frank wrote:
Bathgate wrote:Speaking of being mistreated, I know it doesn't bother many or most people, but the cold temperature in the CEC is a real turnoff to me. It's about 60 degrees with a wind chill (a constant downdraft). I can wear a winter coat and my hands still get uncomfortably icy. This may cause me to give up my season tix sooner than otherwise. It wouldn't be so bothersome if the result of the cold were good ice, but the ice still bad. I think there are many other fans who hate how cold it is in there too. The Pens are stupid to keep it that extremely cold.
you said it buddy. The cold wind in the upper deck is completely unreasonable. The seats next to mine are given out by a law firm to clients so there's usually someone different in the seats. 90% of the people who sit there complain about the cold. They need the cold on the ice, not on the fans.
I disagree vehemently that's it's a small price. People are starting to forget what it's like to live in a free country.

So walking through a metal detector is threatening our very freedom? This could get ugly fast. If that metal detector finds or deters even one person from doing something very bad, it is a small price to pay.
FrozenNuts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by FrozenNuts »

King Kessel wrote:
If the product on the ice wasn't so bland I honestly don't think that sort of thing would matter much. However, when you add it onto a stale on ice product, it does start to become an issue for some fans. So I don't blame you one bit. I have five friends (full season ticket holders) who gave up their support of the team after 2013. As I said, it's not what it once was, but the on ice product is the biggest reason for some to abandon ship. The only times I go I go for free. I'm not paying money for this current on ice product and the other inconveniences that come along with going (previously mentioned in this thread), not a chance. 8-)
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

I thought the 5th Avenue line to get in seemed really long on Thursday night. That was about 6:40. We walked around to Center Ave and got right in.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Great58 »

This thread is a mess. Frankly, this board is a mess. :face:
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

Great58 wrote:This thread is a mess. Frankly, this board is a mess. :face:
Has been for a decade. That is its charm.
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Post by darkstar57 »

Jim wrote:I'm not sure how having to go through metal detectors is being mistreated, at all... How about stop being a bunch of morons and leave your metal stuff in your car/at home? Put my keys, wallet and phone in the container; walk through; grab my stuff and go. Took less time than the wand.

In general, I am against the pat downs, wand, detector, etc... but all you have to do is actually use your brain and they are not a problem at all.
The Rock in NJ has had metal detectors for years, yankee stadium has had them since the new one opened, ditto for citi field. MSG still wands ( that will be changing)

I never had any issue whenever i have gone either Jim.

The people that have problems are the same people you see at the airport holding up the lines to get through security.

YOU KNOW YOU ARE GOING THROUGH SECURITY PREPARE FOR IT! Guess that is a hard concept to grasp
FrozenNuts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by FrozenNuts »

Jim wrote:
Great58 wrote:This thread is a mess. Frankly, this board is a mess. :face:
Has been for a decade. That is its charm.
Truth :lol: :scared:
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Post by darkstar57 »

Also, I am sorry you are cold at a hockey game, it is not like you are watching a giant sheet of ice during the game... oh wait....

Pretty sure most barns (NHL/AHL/College/Pee Wee/etc..) keep it cold on the inside.
FrozenNuts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by FrozenNuts »

darkstar57 wrote:Also, I am sorry you are cold at a hockey game, it is not like you are watching a giant sheet of ice during the game... oh wait....

Pretty sure most barns (NHL/AHL/College/Pee Wee/etc..) keep it cold on the inside.
Let's not take into consideration the guys on the ice wearing lots of equipment and pushing their bodies to maximum performance. They don't need to stay cool to perform at their best.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

I've never had to wait more than 1 minute to get in for Coyotes games (even for the few that are sold out). The wait is longer trying to get on the escalator.

Maybe it's not the metal detectors but the people. If all yinz would stop eating so many perogies and Primanti's Brothers sandwiches, you could get through faster!!
(I kid...)
Realist
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Realist »

Thats the scary thing...they dont even realize that their freedoms are being taken away. Metal detectors...fines for not paying your health insurance...ect, etc.

By the way, can someone name me the last time a shooting occured inside a stadium? I mean...ever?
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Realist, have you been sleeping since September 11, 2001? The concept of all freedom changed.
Someone last year took a gun to a game, Fla? Maybe Colorado?
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Sad
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

This thread is great! As a matter of fact, it would be an awesome fit for NHR.
Realist
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Realist »

penny lane wrote:Realist, have you been sleeping since September 11, 2001? The concept of all freedom changed.
I know many legal CCW who carry at sporting events where no policy is in effect. Again, Im still waiting for the last time a shooting occured at one.....ever.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

Realist wrote:
penny lane wrote:Realist, have you been sleeping since September 11, 2001? The concept of all freedom changed.
I know many legal CCW who carry at sporting events where no policy is in effect. Again, Im still waiting for the last time a shooting occured at one.....ever.
In the post-911 world I guess people feel its better to be safe than sorry.
BurghThing
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by BurghThing »

"Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety."
- B. Franklin
Fat Old Frank
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Fat Old Frank »

BurghThing wrote:"Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety."
- B. Franklin
You can say that again.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

Fat Old Frank wrote:
BurghThing wrote:"Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety."
- B. Franklin
You can say that again.
What liberty are you giving up by going through a metal detector to go to a sporting event?
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Jim wrote:
Fat Old Frank wrote:
- B. Franklin
You can say that again.
What liberty are you giving up by going through a metal detector to go to a sporting event?

Thank you Jim. Some people just like to argue for the sake of arguing. Walking through a metal detector has absolutely zero impact on freedom.
FrozenNuts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by FrozenNuts »

- B. Franklin
The same guy also said "a penny saved is a penny earned" so that guy can can F right off!