LGP Science Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
roland
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: LGP Science Thread

Post by roland »

I saw this article on Yahoo about mining the Moon for Rare Earth Metals and cracked up at the "3 Phases" in the info graphic that they put together.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/moon-hold ... 08814.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zarovich
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Zarovich »

Just needed a Phase 4: Profit!!
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

http://news.discovery.com/space/alien-l ... 151014.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/GLAST ... cture.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zarovich
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Zarovich »

I hope they find signs of a dyson sphere or some type of it.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

Zarovich wrote:I hope they find signs of a dyson sphere or some type of it.
I watched some comments where some seemingly smart physicists were commenting. Their argument was that any civilization advanced enough to create a dyson sphere would be advanced enough to have discovered fusion technology, making a dyson sphere completely irrelevant and extremely inefficient. The counterpoint was that the dyson sphere would be created once said civilization would have used up their easily-obtained hydrogen resources, making it a more viable energy source.

Needless to say I was a little over my head on the subject, but I figured it was interesting commentary to pass along.
Zarovich
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Zarovich »

bhaw wrote:
Zarovich wrote:I hope they find signs of a dyson sphere or some type of it.
I watched some comments where some seemingly smart physicists were commenting. Their argument was that any civilization advanced enough to create a dyson sphere would be advanced enough to have discovered fusion technology, making a dyson sphere completely irrelevant and extremely inefficient. The counterpoint was that the dyson sphere would be created once said civilization would have used up their easily-obtained hydrogen resources, making it a more viable energy source.

Needless to say I was a little over my head on the subject, but I figured it was interesting commentary to pass along.
Looks like a dyson swarm or ring is the most likely route to go. These would not completely block out a star like a sphere would and it looks like it is feasible to control the distance from the star. An actual sphere would need some sort of propulsion to keep it from being pulled into the star as the sphere doesn't have the natural orbit of a planet.