Flyers hire Hakstol as head coach.

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Flyers hire Hakstol as head coach.

Post by Skatingpen »

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=7680 ... l:topheads" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At least it is not Babcock
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Flyers hire Hakstol as head coach.

Post by penny lane »

Tim Panaccio ‏@tpanotchCSN 40s40 seconds ago

This is a risky, bold move by Hextall that reinforces his mantra of patience and long process. Wont be a popular sell with the fan base
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

Wait... I thought that you were supposed to wait until the draft to hire office folk?
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

penny lane wrote:

This is a risky, bold move by Hextall that reinforces his mantra of patience and long process. Wont be a popular sell with the fan base

Far from a sexy pick by Hextall. But he worked under Lombardi for years. He is a good hockey guy. Curious to see how this works out. Thanks.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Great58 »

KG wrote:
penny lane wrote:

Far from a sexy pick by Hextall. But he worked under Lombardi for years. He is a good hockey guy. Curious to see how this works out. Thanks.
Hextall's son played under Hakstol at UND. So he should be very familiar with him.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

The list of NHLers who played under Hakstol at UND is impressive. This could be a disaster or ingenious. Whatever; the Flyers will just can him in a year or two if they decide it's not working out.

Maybe they're hoping to recreate the success of Badger Bob, who was elevated from U. Wisconsin to CGY and then took the Flames to the Cup Final a few years later. There was only one Badger Bob, though. I'll bet this Hakstol guy will be good with the young, up-and-coming talent in the system. The Flyers have rebuilt a bit of the system over the past few years.

I wonder if college success to pros is as much of a leap in hockey as it is in football (see Nick Saban). Anyway, I think it's a far cry riskier than the Pens' hiring of MJ. At least MJ had some pro experience.

I'm reading that the Flyers were never in on Babcock? Weird. I guess Hextall is confident in his plan.
Fast B
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Fast B »

Maybe he was just looking for a guy with a similar sounding name?
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

So, FWIW, the consensus around message boards and media is that it's an inspired and fine hire.

I'll be honest--it scares me that they went outside the organ-I-zation. That's not what they're supposed to do--ever. We were supposed to see another round of Cashman or Murray.

Tactician-wise, does anyone know if he's a better tactician than MJ?
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Hackstool?