Habs experienced the "Downie" syndrome last night.

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Habs experienced the "Downie" syndrome last night.

Post by Humperdink »

"I thought the original call was kind of soft and I let (Watson) know on the way to the penalty box," said Prust, who ended the game with 31 minutes of penalties and a game misconduct. "He kept provoking me. He came to the box and called me every name in the book."

"He called me a piece of you know what, an (expletive), coward, said he'd drive me right out of this building," said Prust of Watson. "I wasn't looking at him. He teed me up.

"That's the ref he is. He tries to play God."

Rather amusing article.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/C ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Habs experienced the "Downie" syndrome last night.

Post by Admin »

Sadly that does sound pretty familiar.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

Why is there no video of this? The league holding the tape as not to incriminate the ref?
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Penspal »

Admin wrote:Sadly that does sound pretty familiar.
Agreed, I had to laugh that its blown up to the degree it has.

Anyone see Downie sticking with the Pens next year?
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

Jim wrote:Why is there no video of this? The league holding the tape as not to incriminate the ref?
The NHL wouldn't want to answer questions about this if it where true. A ref is supposed to be a neutral member of the contest making sure the rules are enforced. The NHL doesn't understand it makes the game less entertaining to watch.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

I am hoping Downie stays with the Pens.

If the Pens plan on keeping him, they should do a full-blown PR campaign on how they will "counsel/manage" him from camp on forward regarding his lack of control. (re: Matt Cooke). However, it may an impossible tightrope to walk.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

no name wrote:
Jim wrote:Why is there no video of this? The league holding the tape as not to incriminate the ref?
The NHL wouldn't want to answer questions about this if it where true. A ref is supposed to be a neutral member of the contest making sure the rules are enforced. The NHL doesn't understand it makes the game less entertaining to watch.
I would think they are going to have to investigate... pretty significant allegation to say a ref provoked him then ejected him.

Both guys are stupid and childish. There have to be some grown men on the ice.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Still a long way from Letang's mouth getting him a game misconduct.

We will see if Watson does another game this post season. If the refs made every call no matter the circumstances, they might earn respect for their professionalism.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

there's video of this, I saw it on NHL Network. there's no audio though because neither was mic'd up. the timekeepers were right there and they should be able to at least share what Watson was saying to Prust in the box. from Watson's reaction when he throws Prust out Prust said SOMETHING.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

Humperdink wrote:I am hoping Downie stays with the Pens.

If the Pens plan on keeping him, they should do a full-blown PR campaign on how they will "counsel/manage" him from camp on forward regarding his lack of control. (re: Matt Cooke). However, it may an impossible tightrope to walk.

I love Downie and what he brings to the team, but the guy is a marked man. He does the littlest thing and gets called cause he is Steve Downie. The refs are bias towards him and call penalties on him to try and keep him in line the rest of the game. Its unfair and the refs shouldn't have this chip or bias against any player even steve Downie or the biggest goon or a superstar who talks to much. Until the NHL does something about this Downie will hurt your team cause the refs are partial to him. Let him go.

Again I stress its not Downies fault he is marked, its the bias of the refs. You can get feisty play from Farnham without the refs coming down on him. Downie is able to give you 10-15 more goals than Farnham would.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

no name wrote:
Again I stress its not Downies fault he is marked, its the bias of the refs. You can get feisty play from Farnham without the refs coming down on him. Downie is able to give you 10-15 more goals than Farnham would.
it is Downie's fault due to how he played his first few years and the fact that he continues to run his mouth. I do agree that he's unfairly targeted though, maybe even more so than Cookie. Cookie got called for every tiny little thing as well but he didn't get the number of diving penalties that Downie seems to even when he draws a penalty
Downie has good vision and is a pretty good playmaker but he's prone to (legit) lazy penalties.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Maybe I'm remembering him incorrectly but I don't recall Cooke having the anger control issues that Downie seems to have. You can see Downie losing it on the ice/bench. Make him mad and he takes dumb penalties.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Penspal »

Admin wrote:Maybe I'm remembering him incorrectly but I don't recall Cooke having the anger control issues that Downie seems to have. You can see Downie losing it on the ice/bench. Make him mad and he takes dumb penalties.
I counted 4 times this season where Downie "punched" something (often the glass, inside the bench) showing very little control of his emotions.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Confirmation of the Downie syndrome:

"What is revealing is what was consistently left unsaid. From former ref Kerry Fraser to TSN’s Darren Dreger, everyone seems to agree that Prust will pay a price for his comments — that he will no longer get the benefit of the doubt from the referees."

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/hocke ... aire-prust" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

The refs are supposed to have clean memories when a game starts, one team gets an advantage if a refs comes into games with a preconceived notion on players and past actions. The whole concept of a having refs is to ensure a fair contest takes place.

The NHL is a joke!!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Owners, general managers continue to let the game be determined by the mindset( oxymoron) of the refs and not by the talent of the players. Make the call every darn time- with every player . Players will learn.
Personalities; refs should not bring theirs to the ice.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

NHL Refs are some of the least professional professionals around. The way that call games changes EVERY game, they hold grudges towards certain players and even teams... NHL Refs are like a clique table at a high school cafeteria... in a bad teenage movie.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

Jim wrote:NHL Refs are some of the least professional professionals around. The way that call games changes EVERY game, they hold grudges towards certain players and even teams... NHL Refs are like a clique table at a high school cafeteria... in a bad teenage movie.
The worst part is that this has been openly acknowledged in numerous games, and emphasized in several behind-the-scenes shows and specials, and it is still viewed as OK by the league. It is truly hard to believe the biggest stage for the best hockey talent in the world is truly more of a circus sideshow than the KHL, which was created to be a circus sideshow.