Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Current video game being played

Post by PensFanInDC »

I'm pretty sure it did and that makes sense but NES was still the superior system.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

PensFanInDC wrote:Are people posting these in order they got them? If so, there are a lot of people that went from NES to Sega which I don't understand.

NES >>>>>>>>>>>>> Sega
I didn't see much of that. I see a lot of NES then Sega Genesis, which Genesis vs Super NES for the next generation was pretty even.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

oh sorry... when I see sega, I automatically assume it's genesis. Thus my confusion.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

A lot of people don't know about Sega Master System which was out during the NES era
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Avyran wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:Why People Think Hideo Kojima Is No Longer At Konami
Spoiler:
I can neither confirm nor deny the speculation here..... but I will say that development on MGSV:TPP has been an utter debacle. They just can't get the thing to work. They submitted a goldmaster candidate a month before I left that was so bug riddled they got a formal reprimand from Sony. Apparently KJP thought they could save money by having Sony's people more or less QA the game; Sony told them to eff off and to never try something like that again or they'd terminate the Publisher License Agreement. That's not an idle threat; it would mean that Konami - not just Kojima - would no longer be permitted to publish PlayStation games.

As regards the Kojima LA studio..... that's actually where we had our last company Christmas party before I left. It's a fantastic facility, truly world class. It occupies the old Howard Hughes campus in Playa del Rey, right next to YouTube, so all of the interior decor is aviation themed; apparently, the studio boss' office used to be Howard Hughes' bedroom and is furnished with super sleek 'Aviator' furniture from Restoration Hardware. It cost severalty millions of dollars to outfit, including well over half a million for the 20-seat screening room. (I did all the contractor agreements) But having the Christmas party there was a solid kick in the jewels for us at KDE-US. We were undergoing a massive change in our physical office space, getting rid of cubicles and going to the 'open' aesthetic using cheap IKEA tables, there was open hostility towards management. Morale at the company was at an all-time low......... and we had our party at this brand new multi-million dollar studio that WE paid for (intra-company finance shenanigans, FTW!), the result of which meant we could not have holiday bonuses or COLA raises. Seriously, the frickin' monitor stands at KJP-LA probably cost more than five of those IKEA tables, and each workstation had at least three of them. The etched glass doors at the entrance cost close to $10k a piece, and there were two sets of them. The kitchen had quartz countertops, tableware from Crate & Barrel, and a $3,000 espresso machine.

Tom, the studio head, and Tomoko (his coordinator) are both quality people, and I miss working with them. But trust me when I say that Konami as a video game publisher is not long for this world. I see them going the way of Atari within the next two years.
Updated word is that HQ was not anticipating the public response to their moves and were unprepared for the kind of backlash that's coming their way. Color me not surprised.
I feel like a good portion of the Japanese companies in general don't anticipate the reaction to their moves. I'm thinking of Nintendo's stupid Youtube policy & such.
Before criticizing, bear in mind that a lot of what gets taken down from YouTube goes through an automatic filter called 'Content ID' or something like that. We used to get takedown notices all the time for videos of our own IP that we were uploading to our own channel. I think our social media manager would get like 8-10 a week. (I'm saying that unaware if NOA has any more aggressive policy of their own)
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Avyran »

tifosi77 wrote:
Avyran wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:Why People Think Hideo Kojima Is No Longer At Konami
Spoiler:
I can neither confirm nor deny the speculation here..... but I will say that development on MGSV:TPP has been an utter debacle. They just can't get the thing to work. They submitted a goldmaster candidate a month before I left that was so bug riddled they got a formal reprimand from Sony. Apparently KJP thought they could save money by having Sony's people more or less QA the game; Sony told them to eff off and to never try something like that again or they'd terminate the Publisher License Agreement. That's not an idle threat; it would mean that Konami - not just Kojima - would no longer be permitted to publish PlayStation games.

As regards the Kojima LA studio..... that's actually where we had our last company Christmas party before I left. It's a fantastic facility, truly world class. It occupies the old Howard Hughes campus in Playa del Rey, right next to YouTube, so all of the interior decor is aviation themed; apparently, the studio boss' office used to be Howard Hughes' bedroom and is furnished with super sleek 'Aviator' furniture from Restoration Hardware. It cost severalty millions of dollars to outfit, including well over half a million for the 20-seat screening room. (I did all the contractor agreements) But having the Christmas party there was a solid kick in the jewels for us at KDE-US. We were undergoing a massive change in our physical office space, getting rid of cubicles and going to the 'open' aesthetic using cheap IKEA tables, there was open hostility towards management. Morale at the company was at an all-time low......... and we had our party at this brand new multi-million dollar studio that WE paid for (intra-company finance shenanigans, FTW!), the result of which meant we could not have holiday bonuses or COLA raises. Seriously, the frickin' monitor stands at KJP-LA probably cost more than five of those IKEA tables, and each workstation had at least three of them. The etched glass doors at the entrance cost close to $10k a piece, and there were two sets of them. The kitchen had quartz countertops, tableware from Crate & Barrel, and a $3,000 espresso machine.

Tom, the studio head, and Tomoko (his coordinator) are both quality people, and I miss working with them. But trust me when I say that Konami as a video game publisher is not long for this world. I see them going the way of Atari within the next two years.
Updated word is that HQ was not anticipating the public response to their moves and were unprepared for the kind of backlash that's coming their way. Color me not surprised.
I feel like a good portion of the Japanese companies in general don't anticipate the reaction to their moves. I'm thinking of Nintendo's stupid Youtube policy & such.
Before criticizing, bear in mind that a lot of what gets taken down from YouTube goes through an automatic filter called 'Content ID' or something like that. We used to get takedown notices all the time for videos of our own IP that we were uploading to our own channel. I think our social media manager would get like 8-10 a week. (I'm saying that unaware if NOA has any more aggressive policy of their own)
:D It's much worse, tif. No youtubers will even touch Nintendo games now (unless, of course, if they're solely Nintendo folks).
“We are only able to register channels that contain game titles specified on the list of supported games,” the new addendum says. “If you have already submitted your channel for registration and it includes video(s) that contain game titles outside of the list of supported games, please remove those videos from your channel within two weeks of the submission date.”

So to be perfectly clear here, upon realizing they couldn’t monetize non-Nintendo videos on someone’s channel, in order to get someone’s YouTube account registered through the Partner program, they have to either delete all non-Nintendo videos from their channel, or they have to form an entirely separate channel, which only contains games from Nintendo’s approved list.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

That's absurd. I had no idea they were that goofy.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Hey, Out of the Park Baseball 16 is on sale at Steam. Has anyone played previous editions of this?
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

Bloodbourne and Borderlands Handsome collection comes out tomorrow I will be busy
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Hey, Out of the Park Baseball 16 is on sale at Steam. Has anyone played previous editions of this?
It is an amazing baseball sim. I have OOTP 15 and it is definitely one of my favorite sport sims. I just have not had the time, nor the desire really, to put the amount of time I could into it.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

SolidSnake wrote:Bloodbourne and Borderlands Handsome collection comes out tomorrow I will be busy
I want to get Bloodborne, but I think I'm gonna wait. Still working through Far Cry 4, and if Bloodborne is like the Souls games... I may just get frustrated with it. I just don't have the patience I used to with games. My one buddy is getting it, and he said he's let me borrow it once he was done with it.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

tifosi77 wrote:That's absurd. I had no idea they were that goofy.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/ ... sole-ever/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Within that link, I found this.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Nintendo needs to wake up. This isn't the 1980s/early 90s where you pretty much had a monopoly on the home gaming system. They have burned so many bridges with third party developers, gamers, etc, and they continue to do it.

IMO, they make the best games first party. But from there, it is a joke and even their first party games are so few and far between it's not worth buying the hardware.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Rylan wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Hey, Out of the Park Baseball 16 is on sale at Steam. Has anyone played previous editions of this?
It is an amazing baseball sim. I have OOTP 15 and it is definitely one of my favorite sport sims. I just have not had the time, nor the desire really, to put the amount of time I could into it.
I have the mobile game. I think 14. I probably wont buy another for a few years but its great. I think the mobile gMe comes out branded with the actual year...so the one i have, 14, was last years game.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

I preordered Bloodborne through PSN a couple days ago and the wait is excruciating. The game downloaded Saturday and is just sitting there, locked on my HDD.

It's like it's taunting me.
silentom
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by silentom »

Just downloaded "The Order: 1886" yesterday, but haven't played it yet. Did anyone here give it a whirl?
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

silentom wrote:Just downloaded "The Order: 1886" yesterday, but haven't played it yet. Did anyone here give it a whirl?
I beat it in a weekend. It's short... probably 6-8 hours campaign, with alot of that being spent watching stuff. That being said the time you do get to play is fun, and it looks really really pretty. The story line isn't bad either and def sets up for sequels down the road. Not worth 60$, but I've seen it drop to 40$ at some places which I think would be fair. Hopefully they made enough money to get a sequel and they can flesh it out a bit more. The general ideas and gameplay they have for the game is very good, it's just short. I don't mind a game like that every once in a while though after spending 60+ hours on other games. Sometimes you just need a game that is straight and to the point, the Order is that.
silentom
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by silentom »

Sounds like a good buy then. I don't mind a short game every now and the either. Love me some Last of Us. :thumb:
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

silentom wrote:Sounds like a good buy then. I don't mind a short game every now and the either. Love me some Last of Us. :thumb:
Maybe I'm not reading this right, but The Last of Us is, by no means, a short game. The Order is 6-8 hours, and there is literally 2 hours of cutscenes in that 6-8 hours. The Last of Us also has way more replay value.

I'm not seeing the comparison.
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Avyran »

Yeah... I, for one, would never buy Order. WAY too many Quick Time Events for my liking; that's almost a third of the gameplay right there, and I don't like that style at all. (I watched full playthroughs from a couple of the folks I like on Twitch/Youtube.)
silentom
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by silentom »

Spangler wrote:
silentom wrote:Sounds like a good buy then. I don't mind a short game every now and the either. Love me some Last of Us. :thumb:
Maybe I'm not reading this right, but The Last of Us is, by no means, a short game. The Order is 6-8 hours, and there is literally 2 hours of cutscenes in that 6-8 hours. The Last of Us also has way more replay value.

My first 2 play throughs maxed out at 10-12 hours in The Last of Us. Although, it did take me quite a bit longer when I tried to find everything. Suppose its not really that short when all is said and done. Probably is a weak comparison. Such an amazing game, though, and zombies aren't even really my thing.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

silentom wrote:
Spangler wrote:

My first 2 play throughs maxed out at 10-12 hours in The Last of Us. Although, it did take me quite a bit longer when I tried to find everything. Suppose its not really that short when all is said and done. Probably is a weak comparison. Such an amazing game, though, and zombies aren't even really my thing.
It's kinda funny that in a market saturated with zombie games, The Last of Us still ends up being one of the best zombie games ever released.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

I have the hardest time adapting to controls.

I started Bioshock last night and I gave up after 15 or 20 minutes because I can't get used to the controls. The "aim" button shots electricity, and the jump & "use" buttons are backwards from the way I'm used to. There isn't any way to change this either.

Is this something people just force themselves to get used to or does it not bother others? I gave up on Sunset Overdrive and GTA V for the same reason - the controls were overwhelming.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

pittsoccer33 wrote:I have the hardest time adapting to controls.

I started Bioshock last night and I gave up after 15 or 20 minutes because I can't get used to the controls. The "aim" button shots electricity, and the jump & "use" buttons are backwards from the way I'm used to. There isn't any way to change this either.

Is this something people just force themselves to get used to or does it not bother others? I gave up on Sunset Overdrive and GTA V for the same reason - the controls were overwhelming.
I'm a weirdo and invert the y-axis on everything. I have a tough time breaking that habit. Some time ago, I played an older game from the PS2 era that didn't have the option to invert controls, and it was really tough getting used to it.

I really should just force myself to not use inverted controls.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

I'm an inverter too. I think that comes from N64 - push the stick forward is bend forward. Pull the stick back is look up in my head.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

Inverter here also