2015 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Ad@m
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: 2015 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

Post by Ad@m »

Who knew that the Pirates, could pull off a perfectly orchestrated suicide squeeze.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

I think Gorkys is going to beat out Lambo for that final bench spot.

Also looks like Holdzkom is going to have to go to Indy to start the year, looks like a similar situation that had last year with Pimentel and Mazzaro.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

Pen will be Caminero, Melancon, Bastardo, Liz, Watson, Hughes, and one of locke/pimentel
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Stolmy needs to go bye bye.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

There's no earthly reason for Gorkys to make the team.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Rocco wrote:There's no earthly reason for Gorkys to make the team.
Forgot about Lombardozzi, I think he might end up with that last bench spot. Right now it would seem to be between Gorkys, Lambo, Jaffe and Lombardozzi, although Kang might not be an option at the ML level right now. Lombardozzi could make the team over Kang too.

Any thoughts on this new draft strategy they seem to have gone after? Draft college outfielders with good bats, but not good enough for outfield and try to teach them infield positions?
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

Over the past week I've heard a lot of people say that Kang isn't ready for the big leagues. It'll be interesting to see what they do with him. I'm sure coming to the US to play AAA baseball is not what the biggest star in Korean baseball had in mind.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Dickie Dunn wrote:Over the past week I've heard a lot of people say that Kang isn't ready for the big leagues. It'll be interesting to see what they do with him. I'm sure coming to the US to play AAA baseball is not what the biggest star in Korean baseball had in mind.
I suppose he could go home, if he doesn't like it.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

Troy Loney wrote:
Forgot about Lombardozzi, I think he might end up with that last bench spot. Right now it would seem to be between Gorkys, Lambo, Jaffe and Lombardozzi, although Kang might not be an option at the ML level right now. Lombardozzi could make the team over Kang too.

Any thoughts on this new draft strategy they seem to have gone after? Draft college outfielders with good bats, but not good enough for outfield and try to teach them infield positions?
They seem to think they've solved infield defense through shifting. Hope it works.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

Rocco wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:

They seem to think they've solved infield defense through shifting. Hope it works.
Until the league bans shifting.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

Dickie Dunn wrote:
Rocco wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:

Until the league bans shifting.
Hopefully the Red Sox can wait to cry about shifting until after the Pirates win the 2015 World Series.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

How does Smizik's blog links get on the first page of the PG website?

Here are his two headlines:

Bob Smizik: Morton sending bad vibes (made yesterday after his crappy ST start sunday)
Bob Smizik: Let’s hear it for Charlie (made to criticize people criticizing Morton)

When writing his second Morton entry, did he not realize that he's criticizing himself?
schreibdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by schreibdog »

Troy Loney wrote:When writing his second Morton entry, did he not realize that he's criticizing himself?
Asking Smizik to realize anything is probably asking too much :lol:

Curious about who gets that last bench spot. Don't think it will be Lombardozzi....sounds like he starting getting the yips in the field last year and it's carried over to this year. Not as bad as Pedro's but still...
I think Lambo gets it by default. He's not hitting great in spring but no one else is taking command of a spot. Decker has yet to figure it out in the bigs, Tabata seems to be destined to go to AAA, Gorkys is hitting really well of late but I doubt he's any more than AAA filler.

If they deem Hart to be capable enough in the OF (he started there yesterday, I believe, and is starting again Thursday), they may try and go with an additional infielder like Florimon or Sellers for that last spot and send Lambo to Indy.

Also curious how that shapes the AAA OF: Lambo, Tabata, Decker, Gorkys, Rojas, Garcia, and Broxton may all land there. Talk about a logjam.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

Garcia is opening the season in AA, I think.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-3 ... -mariners/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wow, this power ranking is vomit inducing.
7. Toronto Blue Jays
8. Miami Marlins
9. Chicago Cubs
10. Detroit Tigers
11. Pittsburgh Pirates
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

Something stupid from Grantland. Who woulda thought?
BleuLineLady
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by BleuLineLady »

Troy Loney wrote:http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-3 ... -mariners/

7. Toronto Blue Jays
8. Miami Marlins
9. Chicago Cubs
10. Detroit Tigers
11. Pittsburgh Pirates

I live in Chicago, some people think nothing can ever happen good for the Cubs, some people are already planning the parade for this season. Both are probably inaccurate statements for this season. I pick them in 3rd place...I dont see a worst to first scenario happening here.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

Troy Loney wrote:http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-3 ... -mariners/

7. Toronto Blue Jays
8. Miami Marlins
9. Chicago Cubs
10. Detroit Tigers
11. Pittsburgh Pirates
That was done in early March before Stroman was lost for the year.
TheGhostofGoulet
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by TheGhostofGoulet »

I'm sure Jon Lester experiencing a dead arm in March in the first year of a six year contract is no reason for the Cubs to worry.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

TheGhostofGoulet wrote:I'm sure Jon Lester experiencing a dead arm in March in the first year of a six year contract is no reason for the Cubs to worry.
The error range on the Cubs this season is huge. They could win anywhere from 65 to 95 games and it wouldn't be a huge shock- lots of young players and new pieces.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

http://predictionmachine.com/Season-Projections" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pirates make the playoffs 58%, win the World Series 5.2% of the time. I'll take that. Their odds should go up once they're able to get Yovani Gallardo for 50 cents on the dollar.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

Rocco wrote:http://predictionmachine.com/Season-Projections

Pirates make the playoffs 58%, win the World Series 5.2% of the time. I'll take that. Their odds should go up once they're able to get Yovani Gallardo for 50 cents on the dollar.
He's so much meh until he faces the bucs. So it's worth it. He embodies their whole dominance over us, so that'd be nice.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

ulf wrote:

He's so much meh until he faces the bucs. So it's worth it. He embodies their whole dominance over us, so that'd be nice.
I'd be fine with getting him and burying him in Indy just so the Cards can't get him.
the errey i breathe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by the errey i breathe »

ulf wrote:

If by their you mean the Brewers then it doesn't matter anymore since he's now with the Rangers.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

Cutch has chopped off his hair. Wonder how long it will take Rossi to write a column blaming this on Kang.