GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by slappybrown »

Bipolar Brewery's Drama Queen IPA this evening. Not a fan.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

With those facts, maybe what the Dogfish Head guy was reffering to in his interview was a brewery like Red Hook that has major investment dollars to back them so they can keep the price point low at the retail level.

Still, a solid brand, and much better than Sam Adams Rebel IPA.

Thanks for the info.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I had Elysian Bifrost tonight. I will never have it again.
UVM2003
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by UVM2003 »

canaan wrote:My tired hands teku glass is en route. Weirdly excited for itm
Did you order this from their website (I'll prob go look now)? I love tired hands and would love their teku.

On a Pittsburgh note those that aren't really sold on voodoo should prob check out the homestead location for barrel room release 3 this weekend. While all bottles have been sold they'll have all four beers on draft and a firkin of the rum aged impy brown on toasted coconut.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

I did. $12 +$5 for shipping
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

UVM2003 wrote:
Did you order this from their website (I'll prob go look now)? I love tired hands and would love their teku.

On a Pittsburgh note those that aren't really sold on voodoo should prob check out the homestead location for barrel room release 3 this weekend. While all bottles have been sold they'll have all four beers on draft and a firkin of the rum aged impy brown on toasted coconut.
Do you know if they have their teku for sale at the brewpub? Its a nice looking glass.
UVM2003
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by UVM2003 »

canaan wrote:
UVM2003 wrote:

Do you know if they have their teku for sale at the brewpub? Its a nice looking glass.
I know for sure they have it at meadville. Almost 99% sure they have it in homestead.

Thanks for the heads up on the TH teku. Just ordered
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Just a heads up, my order was pending for a couple days before it actually went through
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

I got some nice 16oz snifters from truebeer last week due to a terrible accident that left my previous glassware in pieces.

Had a grapefruit sculpin last night. It was incredibly smooth, but I was expecting more of punch to this. Very little bitterness and the grapefruit smell/taste was underwhelming. Still a very nice ipa, but I think I might have my expectations a little too high. Bitterness came out at the end as it warmed. I would like to try it again.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

Hmm, I had high hopes for the grapefruit, because I didn't think sculpin lived up to the hype. Seemed like adding that grapefruit flavor to it would improve it for my personal palate
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Don't get me wrong, it was good, just a little too subtle for what I was expecting.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Anyone been to voodoo brewery in Homestead? I was going to try and swing by on Saturday and see they are doing a barrel room release event, is it going to be crazy to try and stop in and grab a couple bottles?
UVM2003
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by UVM2003 »

The voodoo bottles are all sold but they'll each released bottle on draft.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Will I still be able to pick up their year round releases?
UVM2003
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by UVM2003 »

Sorry eddy I thought you were talking bottles of the barrel release as those are presold. They definitely have fresh good vibes and bottles of big black voodoo daddy.

The drafts of all barreled beer are avaialable. All sound interesting but the bourbon old ale and the rum barrel imperial brown should be killer. They also have a tequila wheat wine.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

I'll have to buy allotments next time, I'm wondering if it's going to be too crazy to swing by and grab a couple yearlong releases. I'll have my family with me and 3 kids will certainly not last long if I have to wait an hour just to get a different bottle.
UVM2003
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by UVM2003 »

If you go around open it'll be tough with the kids. The opening of the pub in late January had similar barreled offerings (pappy big black voodoo, apple brandy grande negro, etc) and it was packed. That said if you go later in the afternoon/early evening it will be lighter.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Ballast Point habanero Sculpin IPA.

Total Sculpin IPA that you know and love. Add to that love some heat. From the nose, there is noticeable chili smell. First taste is all chili. The chili burn fades quickly and then it is all hop bitterness.

Pint glass pour.

Quick reminder of Chili Beer from Cave Creek. The difference is the extra dollars for a novelty beer is for quality beer as the base. Cave Creek never had a quality base.
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Jofa Guy »

I'll also chime on the Red Hook convo earlier. I've had the Long Hammer, and for the price it's solid. I still need to try to ESB, though. Can anyone comment on it?

Agreed on the Grapefruit Sculpin, good but prefer the original most. I'd love to try the Habanero one.

Enjoying a sixer of New Belgium Ranger IPA right now. Haven't had it in a minute and it's a nice change. I really like this IPA
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

Put me in the chile in beer is gross category.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

The idea doesn't sound appealing to me, but my mind was changed after a Clown Shoes Mexican Sombrero. When it's subtle and done right, it really can be very nice.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Yes. Mexican Sombrero is tasty. Don't really care for the Rogue chili beer, as I recall.

How about Clown Shoes Blaecorn Unidragon, a RIS? I had it years ago on draft and recall it being very good, but I've come a long way since then.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

I see it (unidragon) at the stores pretty frequently, but haven't felt like forking over the $14 yet. I hear nothing but amazing things for their Extremely Angry Beast (Mix one part bourbon barrel aged Blaecorn Unidragon, one part bourbon barrel aged Undead Party Crasher, one part rum barrel aged Hammer of The Holy, then add a massive dose of incendiary rage.)
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Cool. Apparently Arsenal is going to be opening a second tasting room + production area @Soergel's in Wexford.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Hal's haul:

Evil Genius Purple Monkey Dishwasher
Goose Island Sofie
Anderson Valley Blood Orange Gose
Great Divide Collette
Bell's Consecrator
Flying Dog lucky sob