Other NHL games 2014-2015 season

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Other NHL games 2014-2015 season

Post by Skatingpen »

Pens/Rangers would be a great series
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

mikey287 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
pens2005 wrote:Ovechkin --- mvp! All semi joking aside I'd bet money he wins the award unanimously. Just totally dominating at the perfect time.
We have discussed unanimous Hart winners already...it took Gretzky breaking the goal, assist and point record, winning the Ross by 60+ points, etc. to get a unanimous look...Ovechkin may get some votes, but the feeling is that it's Carey Price's to lose right now...
What if Despres wins the scoring title from here?
Not a defenseman's trophy...
After 80 points in a month...it will be. #itshappening
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pens2005 »

mikey287 wrote:
pens2005 wrote:Ovechkin --- mvp! All semi joking aside I'd bet money he wins the award unanimously. Just totally dominating at the perfect time.
We have discussed unanimous Hart winners already...it took Gretzky breaking the goal, assist and point record, winning the Ross by 60+ points, etc. to get a unanimous look...Ovechkin may get some votes, but the feeling is that it's Carey Price's to lose right now...
Highly doubt Price wins it. Goalies rarely do. It's Ovechkin's to lose.
Faubert5
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

Post by Faubert5 »

pens2005 wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
If Sid makes a Sid-like charge he could do it. He looks like he's ready to break out.
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Avyran »

I actually think Price should win it.

I don't think the writers are capable enough to give it to him.
Faubert5
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

Post by Faubert5 »

If goalies can win the MVP you could just about argue that one should win it every year.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Watching this game, the Rangers play OV pretty well, they challenge him and don't let him get his speed up. Other teams should watch that
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Great58 »

When did "illegal check to the head" be a minor penalty option? Seems contrary to the stated intent of the league to elimiminate head shots to make one a 2 minute penalty.
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Avyran »

Only reason I point to Price is they're a middle-of-the-road team without him. A decent defense... but nothing amazing outside of Subban. A decent offense (esp. Pacioretty & Galchenyuk), but nothing overwhelming. Yet they're tied for most points in the league.

*Shrug* Maybe that is more of a push for Therrien for best coach.

To make this post relevant... the Capitals are not a smart team. They're an energy team, but not exactly the smartest team.

I'm such a fan of Backstrom though.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Great58 »

Avyran wrote:I actually think Price should win it.

It would be his second, yes? So they can do it, again. I tend to see it as his to lose with no forward putting up superb numbers.
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Avyran »

Great58 wrote:

It would be his second, yes? So they can do it, again. I tend to see it as his to lose with no forward putting up superb numbers.
Nope. Surprisingly, he hasn't even won a Vezina trophy yet either. Tim Thomas, meanwhile, has 2.

Mibury, meanwhile, advocating the cheap shots in the intermission.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

Milbury is a clown.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

the Pens might get chewed up said cheap shots.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pens2005 »

Did Milbury seriously advocate the cheap shots? He is such a horrible influence for hockey fans that are new to the sport.

What an absolute ass clown.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

pens2005 wrote:Did Milbury seriously advocate the cheap shots? He is such a horrible influence for hockey fans that are new to the sport.

Can you paraphrase what he said, I missed it?
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Avyran »

Skatingpen wrote:
pens2005 wrote:Did Milbury seriously advocate the cheap shots? He is such a horrible influence for hockey fans that are new to the sport.

He looked at some of the Rangers' penalties - the McDonagh high stick (that basically slashed across Johanssen's neck) and the Moore interference (where he basically hit Wilson in the same way Steckel hit Crosby, but to the chest instead of the head) - as examples of the Rangers' "toughness." I don't remember the exact wording, but it was speaking pretty positively of those penalties.

Edit: He apparently said they were "good, hard cheap shots." I don't remember that phrase, but it's definitely in the same vein as to what he was saying.
Last edited by Avyran on Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Avyran wrote:
Skatingpen wrote:

He looked at some of the Rangers' penalties - the McDonagh high stick (that basically slashed across Johanssen's neck) and the Moore interference (where he basically hit Wilson in the same way Steckel hit Crosby, but to the chest instead of the head) - as examples of the Rangers' "toughness." I don't remember the exact wording, but it was speaking pretty positively of those penalties.

Thanks
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Milbury is a clown.
He's actually on my List of Reasons Why I Want the Pens to Win the Stanley Cup. Not high on that list, mind you, but still on it.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaMX0Cs5Bc4[/youtube]
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Great58 »

Avyran wrote:
Great58 wrote:

Nope. Surprisingly, he hasn't even won a Vezina trophy yet either. Tim Thomas, meanwhile, has 2.

Mibury, meanwhile, advocating the cheap shots in the intermission.
OMG, that was Theodore, not Price. Whoops.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

Guys, your opinions, please: Give me 5 things the Pens have/can do that would enable them to beat the Rangers in a best of 7. Two of those things can't be "Sid" and "Geno." I mean system stuff, attributes, things the Pens can exploit, etc. Are there 5 things?
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Lt. Dish wrote:Guys, your opinions, please: Give me 5 things the Pens have/can do that would enable them to beat the Rangers in a best of 7. Two of those things can't be "Sid" and "Geno." I mean system stuff, attributes, things the Pens can exploit, etc. Are there 5 things?

I don't think so. The pens could beat the Rangers with their special teams, if they fix the PP, their PK and PP are better.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

Skatingpen wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:Guys, your opinions, please: Give me 5 things the Pens have/can do that would enable them to beat the Rangers in a best of 7. Two of those things can't be "Sid" and "Geno." I mean system stuff, attributes, things the Pens can exploit, etc. Are there 5 things?

I don't think so. The pens could beat the Rangers with their special teams, if they fix the PP, their PK and PP are better.
Thanks. Five is an arbitrary number, I know!

Sigh, yep, PP problems.

That's what we're all saying.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

pens2005 wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
I wasn't posing it as my opinion, according to the media (i.e. the voters), there's a huge swell of support for Carey Price. Ovechkin will make up ground with lowly, local beat writers...but the national and Canadian media seem to be very much behind Carey Price right now...
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Avyran »

The Pens & Rangers are about as even as you can get, I think. The Rangers are a little more physical, the Pens more skilled (the comparison works for both offense & defense). The Rangers have size, the Pens' speed. Both teams have a good structured defense, a sound team system.

It's a very even comparison, IMO.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Avyran wrote:The Pens & Rangers are about as even as you can get, I think. The Rangers are a little more physical, the Pens more skilled (the comparison works for both offense & defense). The Rangers have size, the Pens' speed. Both teams have a good structured defense, a sound team system.

It's a very even comparison, IMO.
Can the Pens maintain their composure when under physical durress?
We'll see.