GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by Jofa Guy »

Grapefruit sculpin on tap at the Londoner, pretty good! I didn't think I'd like it that much, but IMO it's almost as good as the original
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Hangar 24 Betty IPA is delicious, very refreshing, would be great in the summertime. Try Port Brewing Mongo DIPA as it drinks like Bettys big brother.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

slappybrown wrote:Goose Island Mathilda - Belgian, 8/10. Liked this one a lot, had never had before.
Palo Santo Marron - this is an American Brown by Dogfish head that comes in at 12%. dangerous, but probably one of the best at marrying the abv and flavors. Had this one many times but first this year. 8/10.
Aprihop by DFH -- IPA brewed with apricots also a new one for me. Didn't get as much apricot as I would have expected. Was solid. 7/10
I'm surprised you liked Matilda that much. I think a bridge can be constructed from Matilda to saison fairly easily. Let me do some thinking.
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Jofa Guy »

eddysnake wrote:Hangar 24 Betty IPA is delicious, very refreshing, would be great in the summertime. Try Port Brewing Mongo DIPA as it drinks like Bettys big brother.
My beer stores suck, I can never find anything out of ca than the usual ballast point/ Sierra Nevada/ stone varieties. Im pondering looking at beers online, anyone else bought beer online?
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Hop Heathen DIPA Black IPA from Hoppin' Frog Brewery.

The nose was of a slight cocoa / chocolate roasted malt smell. Poured into a pint glass. The beer was totally black and had very nice head and heavy white lace. The carbonation is low and the hops are really held in check by the malt. This is an easy drinking beer with way all of the flavors mesh together. Very tasty combination between a stout and DIPA. It lists the ABV at 8.80%, which is amazing considering how there is no alcohol burn and how light the taste. Poured from a bomber so the residual little pour was a perfect shot.

Nice trade.
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Jofa Guy »

Speaking of Black IPA's, just picked up a bomber of Wookey Jack Black Rye IPA from Firestone Walker. Poured into a pint glass, nice tan head with heavy lacing. Pretty good, and at 8.3 its a pretty easy drinking beer. I like it a lot.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Clown Shoes Hoppy Feet black IPA was really good. More mellow than most black ipas.
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Jofa Guy »

MWB wrote:Clown Shoes Hoppy Feet black IPA was really good. More mellow than most black ipas.
Never had any clown shoes beers, is it really that awesome?
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

I've only had a couple of their beers. Enjoyed both. Not amazing beers, but certainly I would get again. As far as an IPA goes, I think it was a solid wild card entrant and could've gotten a couple votes.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Clown shoes does some pretty amazing things on the east coast, finding them is another thing.
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Jofa Guy »

Yeah, I feel like their ipa would be really good. If it weren't for my budget I would have bought it. Instead I picked wookey jack for $5
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Yeah, they are not cheap. One reason I haven't tried more.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

Atwater Bourbon Barrel Aged Shaman Porter. Really smooth and tasty.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

slappybrown wrote:Goose Island Mathilda - Belgian, 8/10. Liked this one a lot, had never had before.
Palo Santo Marron - this is an American Brown by Dogfish head that comes in at 12%. dangerous, but probably one of the best at marrying the abv and flavors. Had this one many times but first this year. 8/10.
Aprihop by DFH -- IPA brewed with apricots also a new one for me. Didn't get as much apricot as I would have expected. Was solid. 7/10
You ever drink Don De Dieu from Unibroue? If you like Matilda, that's worth looking into
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

canaan wrote:
You ever drink Don De Dieu from Unibroue? If you like Matilda, that's worth looking into
Yes, i love it
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Man, I miss Quebec. I'll never forget that beer store in Quebec City that was selling Unibroue bombers (all varieties) for something absurd like 3/15 or something. And the USD was stronger than the CAD :cry:
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Jofa Guy »

I need to get my hands on some Clown Shoes then. My beer store usually has at least a few of them, I can't recollect the names off of the top of my head
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

buddy visited tillamook and brought me a De Garde Petit Desay. Also grabbed a grapefruit sculpin. Very excited for both.
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Jofa Guy »

I loved the Grapefruit Sculpin, not as much as the original but its still great
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I had Wyndridge Farm's Laughing Crow IPA. I was shocked when I saw the reviews when I got home (they're kind of low), because I thought it was a fantastic IPA. It was over the top hoppy, but had a great balance and a nice citrus/floral smell and taste.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Has anyone tried the beers from Red Hook Brewery? The most available are Long Hammer IPA, ESB, and Audible Ale. They have a brewery in Seattle and New Hampshire.

The beers are of good quality and inexpensive in comparison to others in the same quality bracket.

I don't recall anyone here mention them or share thoughts on the beer.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Fun fact, they're not technically considered a craft brewery or craft beer since more than 25% of the brewery is owned by a non-craft brewery (32% owned by AB).

oh, and yes... i've had some of their beer. it's solid. nothing special.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Tried it a long time ago and didn't really make an impression. Maybe should try again.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

My tired hands teku glass is en route. Weirdly excited for itm
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by BigMcK »

With those facts, maybe what the Dogfish Head guy was reffering to in his interview was a brewery like Red Hook that has major investment dollars to back them so they can keep the price point low at the retail level.

Still, a solid brand, and much better than Sam Adams Rebel IPA.

Thanks for the info.