GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by canaan »

Very cool. I'm gonna have to head up there again.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

I really wanna try those Draai Laag sours. I wonder how long the bottles will last. Not sure when I'm gonna get an opportunity to get there.
UVM2003
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by UVM2003 »

From what I've heard draai laag only had about 6 cases left of each brew yesterday.

They did distribute and I grabbed bottkes at whole foods wexford. Caliente in hampton also had them but at a premium price.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Im having fubark imperial stout
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Enjoy By is so good. So very good.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Deschutes Obsidian Stout. Man, this was a damned good American Stout. Right in that sweet spot (IMO) between 6 and 7%, and just a fantastic flavor to it. MWB, I'm assuming you've had it? So good.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

I can't find Deschutes near me, so no, I haven't had that or Fresh Squeezed. Kind of sucks.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

I've only had Mirror Pond Pale Ale and was extremely underwhelmed. I take it their other offerings are significantly better?

Anyway, drinking a Schneider Weisse Hopfenweisse. It has the typical SW flavor, but with a bit of Hops. Very drinkable.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

Tonight we had dinner with my family at Spoonwood Brewery in Bethel Park. It's a recent addition to the area, it's only been open for a month or two. For those local to Pittsburgh, do yourself a favor and get down there. Beers were all good to great. Nothing was mindblowing but I've gotten very hard to impress at that level in the last few years. Everything was good and enjoyable to drink and the right types and pours (size) for the food. I didn't taste a single beer that I would not drink again. Food was delicious as well.

Finished with dessert at my folk's place. I made a flourless chocolate cake topped off by homemade whipped cream and fresh raspberries. All designed to compliment our newest beer acquisition. Spoiler'd for size.
Spoiler:
While this is the 2015 release and we have to wait a bit for it to reach it's full potential, I couldn't resist opening up a bottle tonight. (I was fortunate enough to taste the 2011 release recently and it was exceptional with age.) Normally I'm not a Belgian fan but the pairing of this particular beer and the dessert was perfect. Right now the Blushing Monk drinks like the label says, "A Belgian style ale brewed with fresh raspberries". I'm intrigued to see what this does with age because if it comes close to the 2011, I will be thrilled. For those Belgian lovers, it's worth the search (and the price tag).
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

eddysnake wrote:Bruery rue is delicious.

Kraftster, how would you describe a gose?
Not Kraft, but I've always regarded a gose, including the Anderson Valley and 3 or so others I've tried, to be like a slightly salty saison. Not bad, but not something for which I look forward. I don't see a gose on a beer list and think, "I've got to try that..." Personal tastes will play a large part here, though.
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Jofa Guy »

Has anyone had Deschutes' Northwestern IPA? Curious on it. The Fresh Squeeze it pretty damn good. I'd definitely recommend it to someone just getting into IPA's, with all the fruit flavor. Not one of my favorites but still really good.

One of my favorite beers all time is Little Sumpin' (sp?) by Lagunitas. Damn good beer and I like the label haha.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

Jofa Guy wrote:Has anyone had Deschutes' Northwestern IPA? Curious on it. The Fresh Squeeze it pretty damn good. I'd definitely recommend it to someone just getting into IPA's, with all the fruit flavor. Not one of my favorites but still really good.

One of my favorite beers all time is Little Sumpin' (sp?) by Lagunitas. Damn good beer and I like the label haha.
Sumpin is phenomenal

Fresh squeezed is solid like you say but not top of class for me
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Jofa Guy »

shafnutz05 wrote:Deschutes Obsidian Stout. Man, this was a damned good American Stout. Right in that sweet spot (IMO) between 6 and 7%, and just a fantastic flavor to it. MWB, I'm assuming you've had it? So good.

I need to try this one. Another beer I always pass up but need to just get it.
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Jofa Guy »

slappybrown wrote:
Jofa Guy wrote:Has anyone had Deschutes' Northwestern IPA? Curious on it. The Fresh Squeeze it pretty damn good. I'd definitely recommend it to someone just getting into IPA's, with all the fruit flavor. Not one of my favorites but still really good.

Sumpin is phenomenal

Fresh squeezed is solid like you say but not top of class for me
IYeah, its great. Its not really an IPA is it? That was one of the first craft beers I've ever tried, and I loved it right away. Sort of weird since I wasn't used to hops yet (Only 21 at the time) But it is great. Have you tried the Sumpin wild?
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Don't drink 6 Nugget Nectars during a pens game.
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Jofa Guy »

PensFanInDC wrote:Don't drink 6 Nugget Nectars during a pens game.
Being in TX, I don't have access to the Great Lakes stuff. I've heard mixed reviews from you guys, how do you like GL beers PFIDC?
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Jofa Guy »

I guess NN isn't a great lakes beer, sorry to quote it haha.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Yeah, nugget nectar is troegs. Great Lakes has a really cool brew pub with good food... I know it shouldn't, but it makes me like their beer more. Same with Troegs for that matter.
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Jofa Guy »

I went to Rahr brewery yesterday in Ft. Worth, it was so crowded and they had this crappy Bayou food cart, no thanks. The beers were good, I had this Scottish Ale which got a lot better as it warmed up.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

New Belgium Cocoa Mole... loved it. From their LOF series, great, unique beer. A lot of people don't like chile beers, but I am a fan. I loved Rivertown's Death last year, made with ghost chiles. This one is much more subtle. Upfront flavor is full of chocolate and cinnamon, with the heat barely noticeable. The heat sets in slowly with time, but is never overwhelming, just gets more flavorful as you go through the glass. After trying a few other beer, had to order a second one to finish the night. Good stuff.
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Jofa Guy »

I have never tried a chile beer, feel like it would be awesome. I'm a major semin (P&##Y) when it comes to spice, but I'd love to try one
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

Jofa Guy wrote:I have never tried a chile beer, feel like it would be awesome. I'm a major semin (P&##Y) when it comes to spice, but I'd love to try one
A lot of people don't seem to like them, but I'm a believer in trying something yourself before deciding if you like it. It was a natural for me, because I love spicy food, but even that is no guarantee, because some people that like heat in food do not like it in their beer. I'm very adventurous with beer, in general, while some people are very regimented in what they expect from a beer. I even enjoy fruit beers, like krieks, even if I don't always consider them beer. I like many alcoholic, malt beverages in the right situation, and enjoy them for what they are, even if they don't fit the common perception of what beer should be.
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Jofa Guy »

I can definitely see where you're coming from. It's hard for me to try completely new stuff (mostly because I'd rather spend money on what i like) however that one that you don't expect to like, and you do, makes it all worthwhile. I need to start pairing my alcoholic drinks with the situation, instead of my 6 pack of IPA's on a cold night
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

Goose Island Mathilda - Belgian, 8/10. Liked this one a lot, had never had before.
Palo Santo Marron - this is an American Brown by Dogfish head that comes in at 12%. dangerous, but probably one of the best at marrying the abv and flavors. Had this one many times but first this year. 8/10.
Aprihop by DFH -- IPA brewed with apricots also a new one for me. Didn't get as much apricot as I would have expected. Was solid. 7/10
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Jofa Guy »

I've always wanted to try Palo Santo, I'll have to get that one sometime