Other NHL games 2014-2015 season

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Other NHL games 2014-2015 season

Post by Avyran »

Watching Lucic makes me wonder who the best power forward is in the league atm. Getzlaf? Landeskog? Pacioretty? Backes? I'm not even sure how to define a power forward anymore.

I didn't say Ovechkin because he scores 90% of his goals from the left side at a distance & doesn't know how to play defense (although he tries). He has the build of a power forward, but plays like a Sykora or other sniper in the offensive zone.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pens2005 »

Having the flyers get into they playoffs may not be the worst thing. Get crushed by a top seed, and get a worse draft pick.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

Boston's blowing their last chance. Sigh.

If I'm a Bruins fan, I'm pretty ticked off. This game was a must win, imo.

Edit: Yeeeaaahhhhh! Hahaha! 15 seconds left, and we're doing the Dougie into OT.

Now, get that second point, Bruins!
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

Avyran wrote:Watching Lucic makes me wonder who the best power forward is in the league atm. Getzlaf? Landeskog? Pacioretty? Backes? I'm not even sure how to define a power forward anymore.

I didn't say Ovechkin because he scores 90% of his goals from the left side at a distance & doesn't know how to play defense (although he tries). He has the build of a power forward, but plays like a Sykora or other sniper in the offensive zone.
Benn or Perry perhaps? I haven't been able to watch much of the west this year but those two guys always stick out in my mind when I think of modern powerforwards.
Last edited by Staggy on Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Avyran »

First time the Bruins have scored 2 power plays goals in a home game since October.

That's kinda ridiculous. Is the offensive side of the NHL that much weaker this year?
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

Avyran wrote:First time the Bruins have scored 2 power plays goals in a home game since October.

That's kinda ridiculous. Is the offensive side of the NHL that much weaker this year?
I think it's a combo of that, fewer calls have led to fewer PPs, and Boston just isn't as good as they've been the last few years.

In other aspects, it's just crazy seeing Mad Max as a Bruin--not as crazy as seeing him as a Flyer, however.

YES!!! Thank you, you dirty little rat!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0MkIPGKdAk[/youtube]
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

The only thing that would have been sweeter in today's Flyer choke job would have been if it occurred in Philly.
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Avyran »

Staggy wrote:
Avyran wrote:Watching Lucic makes me wonder who the best power forward is in the league atm. Getzlaf? Landeskog? Pacioretty? Backes? I'm not even sure how to define a power forward anymore.

Benn or Perry perhaps? I haven't been able to watch much of the west this year but those two guys always stick out in my mind when I think of modern powerforwards.
Completely forgot about Benn, but Dallas has been a bit of a trainwreck this year. They've got nothing after the three big players on that team. I hate Perry, so I axe him, haha. But he's there too.

I guess it's Getzlaf though...?
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Which of seguin, spezza, benn, lehtonen are not in their big 3?

Or more specifically, i assume i should be asking "which of lehtonen and spezza are you leaving out?"
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Avyran »

Sorry ID40; I meant in terms of skaters (so Spezza, Benn, Seguin). Lehtonen's certainly there. Mistake on my part.

Though Lehtonen's had a rough year too... 26-13-10 (over .500), but .905 save pct & almost 3 games allowed per game.

I blame Goligoski. :P
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Why would you not include OV? How can you say that when he lights up players every night? To compare him to skyora is crazy
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Lehtonen has been bad this year, defense or no. I wonder if having the team on his back all of last season caught up or if this is just the karma balancing out for pretty much everything going right for him last year.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Skatingpen wrote:

Why would you not include OV? How can you say that when he lights up players every night? To compare him to skyora is crazy
He scores most of his goals like a neal or sykora, though he has been getting some dirtier goals this year. That part of his game is separate from hitting people though. His head hunting doesnt make him a power forward, though physically he certainly has the tools to be one.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Idoit40fans wrote:
Skatingpen wrote:

He scores most of his goals like a neal or sykora, though he has been getting some dirtier goals this year. That part of his game is separate from hitting people though. His head hunting doesnt make him a power forward, though physically he certainly has the tools to be one.
Good point. Also think it is funny he returns to play one of the worst teams, man wants his goals.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Watching Lucic makes me wonder if the league takes testing for steroids seriously. The guy acts like a classic roid case. Watching him go crazy in the handshake line 2 seasons ago was the icing on the cake.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Great58 »

Sill just dropped Ott in Toronto. Good show by Zack.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Great58 »

Borts just mishandled the puck at his blue line leading to a turnover and a Blues defensive zone penalty.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Great58 wrote:Sill just dropped Ott in Toronto. Good show by Zack.
Yep, floored Ott with an uppercut. Nice middle weight scrap.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

T J Oshe just got lit up in a large way by Dion Phaneuf. Surprised Oshe got up.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Humperdink wrote:T J Oshe just got lit up in a large way by Dion Phaneuf. Surprised Oshe got up.
That is some big boy hockey.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Leafs putting on a show across Canada tonight (sarc alert). They are down 4-0 in the second to the Blues and it's not as close as the score indicates.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Great58 »

Now 5. Whoa.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

FHCDB on HNIC is difficult to watch.
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Avyran »

Panthers (behind #3 goalie Dan Ellis) beat Isles in a shootout. Huh.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

People on this board, and Jamal Mayers on NHLnet, need to come to grips with the fact that the Flyers are not going to magically pass three teams, two of which have multiple games in hand, to make the playoffs in the next 16 games. Not going to happen. Please stop trying to pretend it is. That is all.