GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by Kraftster »

Jofa Guy wrote:So, do you folks believe that Saison's are the best food pairing beers? Obviously it depends on the food, IPA's being good for fried seafood for example, however on an overall basis? If so, what foods pair well with Saison's?

Like I said, I think it's a perfect beer to have with almost any meal because it is extremely dry and usually fairly highly carbonated. That makes it especially good for boldly flavored food, fatty foods, and spicy foods. I just love its ability to quench and cleanse when I'm eating something big on flavor, fat, or spice. And many good examples of the style do this while possessing a medium body, so it feels good in your mouth too.

On a more nuanced level, I think the key is to make use of the peppery spiciness. I love Saison Dupont and scallops. Same is really true for SD or any other classic style saison and other seafood dishes. You can probably get even more complex with all the great domestic options available that push the traditional flavor profile in a lot of different directions--all the way from fruity, even bubblegummy, to herbal and grassy. 21st Amendment Sneak Attack has a lemon/dill component that would probably be nice to pair with something that could use those flavors. Brooklyn Sorachi Ace is another saison with a strong lemon/citrus presence. Then you have all of the "wild" saisons that use brettanomyces--great with cheeses that play well with the funk and the ultimate beer for pairing with super fatty meals, imo. Something like a fatty seafood mac and cheese heavy on truffle oil makes for an incredible counterpoint to the acridity of the sour and funky brett flavor, while also sharing some similar earthy components.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I too want to like saisons, but haven't found one I really liked yet
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

PLCB: Pennsylvania beer distributors can sell 12-packs

http://www.post-gazette.com/business/20 ... 1503060310" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:PLCB: Pennsylvania beer distributors can sell 12-packs

http://www.post-gazette.com/business/20 ... 1503060310" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Let's all welcome the PLCB to 1990. Who knows in another 40-50 years one will be able to buy a 6 pack or maybe even a 40.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Has anyone tried anything from North Country brewing out of Slippery Rock?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

North Country... Have tried a couple of their beers. Their Firehouse red is pretty solid. Tried a stout and an ipa that were pretty meh. Their pumpkin seemed decent, but I only had a sip of it.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

okay, just saw my local distributor got a variety pack in. Was just seeing if it was worth the buy.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

I'd say if you see a can of the red somewhere it's worth a try... Not sure a vp is worth it. Jmo.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Their stout (or the one that I had, anyway) is akin to watered-down Guinness.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

the wicked child wrote:North Country... Have tried a couple of their beers. Their Firehouse red is pretty solid. Tried a stout and an ipa that were pretty meh. Their pumpkin seemed decent, but I only had a sip of it.

Beer was pretty average last I had. I do see their buck snort stout around a lot though. I did get a growler of something, but I forget what it was. The restaurant is pretty awesome, great food, really cool atmosphere and close by is a toy store in the shape of a giant stealth bomber (great for kids/adults). Definitely worth a trip.

http://www.playthings-etc.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Jofa Guy »

I really do enjoy epic brewery. The ipa is great, I'd love to try their sampler with someone that sounds awesome. Going to rahr brewery tomorrow.

Currently enjoying founder breakfast stout.. Yum yum yum
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Jofa Guy wrote:I really do enjoy epic brewery. The ipa is great, I'd love to try their sampler with someone that sounds awesome. Going to rahr brewery tomorrow.

Looking for epic big bad Baptist, might just be my favorite beer.

They also make a 825 state stout that's top notch
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Jofa Guy »

eddysnake wrote:
Jofa Guy wrote:I really do enjoy epic brewery. The ipa is great, I'd love to try their sampler with someone that sounds awesome. Going to rahr brewery tomorrow.

Going to world of beers tonight so hopefully I'll find it, did you get it at your beer store or at a bar?
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Jofa Guy »

Also, epic's brainless Belgian ipa is pretty damn good. I love the Belgian ipa style. Stone's Cali-belguique isn't bad either
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Post by OutofFoil »

Brainless on Peaches was pretty good. I really enjoyed their saisons though. Like many on here, I've always wanted to like saisons, but never found any that had that wow factor. Epic had a few like that.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Jofa Guy wrote:
eddysnake wrote:

Going to world of beers tonight so hopefully I'll find it, did you get it at your beer store or at a bar?
Unfortunately I can't find it around here,my buddy usually brings one home for me when he returns. I did find one in Columbus at a world of beer or 1000 beer place, so you may be in luck
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Jofa Guy »

Yeah, being closer to co I think I might be lucky enough. I just wanna be careful since I've already had a head start today haha
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Are there any worthwhile bottle shops in the South Hills?
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

count2infinity wrote:okay, just saw my local distributor got a variety pack in. Was just seeing if it was worth the buy.
Went to the brewery over the summer. The one that stood out was the brown ale. Otherwise, a forty degree day
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I picked up a locally brewed quad to try out for a second time. I had noticed that it improved as it got warmer, so I'm drinking this at room temperature. The flavors really stand out this way. So the question is which styles most benefit from warming up?
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

columbia wrote:I picked up a locally brewed quad to try out for a second time. I had noticed that it improved as it got warmer, so I'm drinking this at room temperature. The flavors really stand out this way. So the question is which styles most benefit from warming up?
Imperial stouts and DIPAs for me. The latter has a smaller window before it gets too warm imo
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

Bruegel amber. Malty, plain, still pretty tasty.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

slappybrown wrote:
columbia wrote:I picked up a locally brewed quad to try out for a second time. I had noticed that it improved as it got warmer, so I'm drinking this at room temperature. The flavors really stand out this way. So the question is which styles most benefit from warming up?
Imperial stouts and DIPAs for me. The latter has a smaller window before it gets too warm imo
Agree. Would also add barrell aged stouts. Any beer with complex flavors gets hurt by the cold, but think that sweet spot is a lot smaller for an IPA than a stout.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Rodenbach Caractere Rouge. This is easy to say with how it's regarded, but this is easily one of the best things I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing. Might be the best beer I've ever had.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

Kraftster wrote:Rodenbach Caractere Rouge. This is easy to say with how it's regarded, but this is easily one of the best things I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing. Might be the best beer I've ever had.
Wow; where might I acquire this in the 412, counselor?