GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by columbia »

Jofa Guy wrote:What do you guys think about the Boulevard Tank 7? I remember hearing it was a Saison, and I don't know if I'm a big fan of them or not. I remember liking that one however I had River House, by Martin House, and it made me feel sick. Probably from the yeast I guess?
I've had it a few times and it's perfectly decent, though not really that memorable.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Jofa Guy wrote:What do you guys think about the Boulevard Tank 7? I remember hearing it was a Saison, and I don't know if I'm a big fan of them or not. I remember liking that one however I had River House, by Martin House, and it made me feel sick. Probably from the yeast I guess?
I don't like Tank 7, but I'd recommend it to slappy. I find it to be overly hoppy and having a soap quality.
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Jofa Guy »

BigMcK wrote:Sierra Nevada Hop Hunter on draught.

A fresh IPA that uses hop oil extract as an additive. The amount of pine resin at the nose is intense. Expecting a bitter flavor from the nose, I was surprised at how clean the flavor was. Really an enjoyable beer. Light ABV at 6.3% for a full flavored IPA.

The Hop Hunter is a great beer. I also like the Beer Camp as well, actually drinking one right now. The thing I love about Hop Hunter the most was the mouthfeel, super sticky.

Earlier today, I had Hopulent IPA by EPIC brewery in CO. The smell was about the major, and only, highlight of that beer. Not bad, especially for getting a bomber at 5.99
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Boulevard Saison Brett, however, is a top 5 saison for me.
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Jofa Guy »

Kraftster wrote:Boulevard Saison Brett, however, is a top 5 saison for me.
I'll have to try that one. Boulevard seems to be a pretty good brewery. I have pretty much abused my palate with IPA's, so it would be nice to expand a little bit and I believe Saison's would be a great next step. I like my stouts and porter's, but I can't have them as a go-to. I guess Saison's probably wouldn't be a great go-to either.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

There are so many different Hop------s out there. Headhunter still seems original. Didn't Alchemy Hour change its name because of copyright concerns?
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Jofa Guy »

MWB wrote:There are so many different Hop------s out there. Headhunter still seems original. Didn't Alchemy Hour change its name because of copyright concerns?

Yeah It must get pretty difficult coming out with names that catch your attention, and are unique. Speaking of that, has anyone seen a beer with a name that sounded so dull, but it was a great brew? Just a question to spark the thread. Too many times you see names you think will lead to a great beer (Rebel IPA by SA for example) and they completely underwhelm
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Jofa Guy wrote:
I'll have to try that one. Boulevard seems to be a pretty good brewery. I have pretty much abused my palate with IPA's, so it would be nice to expand a little bit and I believe Saison's would be a great next step. I like my stouts and porter's, but I can't have them as a go-to. I guess Saison's probably wouldn't be a great go-to either.
I'm in the same exact boat. I've tried some saisons, but need to try more.
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Jofa Guy »

Also, can anyone recommend a good red ale that is somewhat distributed widely in america? I don't have access to all the good east coast beers. Last good ones I have had were G'Knight by Oskar Blues, and Tongue Buckler by Ballast Point. I really enjoy that style when I'm in the mood.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Jofa Guy wrote:
Aside from price, I think saisons are a great go to. Since I lost my beer guy at my Giant Eagle, I've been sticking with cases of stuff lately. 21st Amendment Sneak Attack isn't amazing or anything but at $32, I am a big fan. I guess it depends on "go to for...." what? I like to drink beers when I eat. I think saisons are tops for beer with a new, especially a spicy one.

I'm planning to get a case of Great Divide Collette as soon as it's released, another good widely available one.

But the Saison Brett is a bit of a tease. It's one small batch per year. You might have a better shot at getting it in Texas, but you'd likely need to do some advanced recon to snag one.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Jofa Guy wrote:Also, can anyone recommend a good red ale that is somewhat distributed widely in america? I don't have access to all the good east coast beers. Last good ones I have had were G'Knight by Oskar Blues, and Tongue Buckler by Ballast Point. I really enjoy that style when I'm in the mood.

I think Green Flash Hop Head Red is excellent. Pretty hoppy red, though.
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Jofa Guy »

MWB wrote:
Jofa Guy wrote:
I'm in the same exact boat. I've tried some saisons, but need to try more.

Yup, I just remember my last Saison experience left me feeling sick in the stomach. I can't blame it on the style, maybe I drank too much or the beer was crappy. I definitely want to look into them more though, once I man up of course
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Jofa Guy »

Kraftster wrote:
Jofa Guy wrote:
Aside from price, I think saisons are a great go to. Since I lost my beer guy at my Giant Eagle, I've been sticking with cases of stuff lately. 21st Amendment Sneak Attack isn't amazing or anything but at $32, I am a big fan. I guess it depends on "go to for...." what? I like to drink beers when I eat. I think saisons are tops for beer with a new, especially a spicy one.

I'm planning to get a case of Great Divide Collette as soon as it's released, another good widely available one.

But the Saison Brett is a bit of a tease. It's one small batch per year. You might have a better shot at getting it in Texas, but you'd likely need to do some advanced recon to snag one.

Kraftster, Thanks for your reply and suggestion on Green Flash. I'll have to try that one as well as the Brett.

I see a lot of Great Divide in Texas, so I will look out for the Collette. When I said go to, I meant as a beer that I see at a bar and know I'd enjoy it every day of the week. I enjoy Stouts, especially Old Rasputin, but I have to be in the mood for them. Maybe it's because the last one I had, Lagunitas Imperial, was awful. I just have to not let one bad version of a certain style ruin my interpretation for the entire style
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Collette is great. I've wanted to have that again since the summer beerfest but haven't had the opportunity.
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Jofa Guy »

So, do you folks believe that Saison's are the best food pairing beers? Obviously it depends on the food, IPA's being good for fried seafood for example, however on an overall basis? If so, what foods pair well with Saison's?
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Jofa Guy wrote:Also, can anyone recommend a good red ale that is somewhat distributed widely in america? I don't have access to all the good east coast beers. Last good ones I have had were G'Knight by Oskar Blues, and Tongue Buckler by Ballast Point. I really enjoy that style when I'm in the mood.
I really liked Sierra Nevadas Flipside Red.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

slappybrown wrote:Honestly, I want to like saisons because you, c2i, and canaan love them (though canaan's taste for cucumber beers calls all of this into question) and I feel like the beer described above would potentially bring me closer to liking them. Adding the bite of simcoe and citra seems like it would address what I don't like about saisons, which is the thin mouth feel. I would have imagined it would overwhelm the upside of saisons, which is the unique flavor in comparison to other styles, but that article indicates its a harmonious combination.
Different strokes for different folks. I don't think there's really a beer style that I don't enjoy (good versions of them anyways).
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Jofa Guy »

MWB wrote:
I really liked Sierra Nevadas Flipside Red.
I forgot about that one. Being a big SN fan, that one was really good. What do you think about celebration by SN?
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

It's been so long since I've had Celebration, I dont really remember it. Although I've never had an SN beer I don't like.
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Jofa Guy »

Going out tonight with the gf, I'll post any beers I drink that I believe are good. Looking out for some Jester King if I'm lucky enough
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Jofa Guy »

Kraftster, I am looking out for the Jester King. Once I find out what they get I'll let you know.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Reds? Bear Republic Red Rocket is great, as is North Coast Red Seal Ale. Both solid breweries as well.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

just a few weeks until KBS. anyone going to drastic measures to get any this year?

i still have a bunch of BCBS in my basement, and there really is no contest between the 2, so i'm not gonna go nuts looking for it.
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Post by OutofFoil »

Jofa Guy wrote:
BigMcK wrote:Sierra Nevada Hop Hunter on draught.

A fresh IPA that uses hop oil extract as an additive. The amount of pine resin at the nose is intense. Expecting a bitter flavor from the nose, I was surprised at how clean the flavor was. Really an enjoyable beer. Light ABV at 6.3% for a full flavored IPA.

The Hop Hunter is a great beer. I also like the Beer Camp as well, actually drinking one right now. The thing I love about Hop Hunter the most was the mouthfeel, super sticky.

Earlier today, I had Hopulent IPA by EPIC brewery in CO. The smell was about the major, and only, highlight of that beer. Not bad, especially for getting a bomber at 5.99
Epic brewing is great. Their saisons are quite tasty. They have a sampler at their tap house in Denver called the gauntlet. All 25 taps, 4 oz pours. Must have 2 people. 4 under 8%. Good times. Only 4 I wasnt a fan of.

Speaking of Founders, I procured a case of 750ml bottles of Founders Blushing Monk. Getting rid of a few and cellering the majority of it.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Jofa Guy wrote:Kraftster, I am looking out for the Jester King. Once I find out what they get I'll let you know.
Cool. They do a lot of good saisons. I've only tried a couple of them.