GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by columbia »

What 170-Year-Old Beer Uncovered From a Shipwreck Really Tasted Like
http://gizmodo.com/what-a-170-year-old- ... socialflow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some young ape with a shovel enterprising young chemist like c2i should get on this concept of recreating older beers.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I know the dude from Dogfish Head had a passion for trying old beer styles. I think it'd be pretty cool. From what I've read before, hops were not always used for bittering and giving life to the beer. It was edible grasses, herbs, shrubs, etc. I'd certainly be open to trying old style beers.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Cracking open a bomber of Chimay Blue this weekend with the missus, can't wait.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Speaking of archaeology beers: It doesn't get much press here, but New Belgium's 1554 beer is very enjoyable.
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Post by OutofFoil »

1554 is quite nice.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Moving away from the other thread (and disregard my Commodore Perry vote), I think I realized a couple weeks ago that I don't really like Great Lakes all that much anymore. Sure, I like some of their offerings (Blackout Stout is fantastic, for example). And I love Christmas Ale....but their flagship offerings all have this taste that I just don't like.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Does this include Ed Fitz Porter?

I have the same feeling about New Belguim beers.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Maybe your not the only one, I see they are going through a new rebranding process. I found I'm more drawn to their seasonal offerings lately. Still think their flagships are top notch, but with so much other stuff out there, they've kinda become ordinary.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

MWB, I still love Ed Fitz. The Eliot Ness, for example, just has this weird bitterness to me I find off-putting. Agree with eddy though, I enjoy their seasonal offerings still, for the most part.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Dortmunder Gold and Eliot Ness are the only two beers from Great Lakes that I don't like. Their seasonal stuff tends to be fantastic.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

I've come to the conclusion that I'm just not a GL fan. I don't know that I would say anything I've had from them is bad... But none of it really made want to drink another either.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

I pick up cases of GL Chillwave, Conways Irish, Eddy Fitz, & Oktoberfest (and sometimes Nosferatu) pretty much on a regular schedule throughout the year. Dortmunder, Elliott Ness, and Burning River (whatever happened to Holy Moses?) have all become what I get when I go out and they don't have much of selection. Their base is a pretty safe variety pack to get when you have guests over for a party, but I can't remember the last time I thought it would be good to get one for my own enjoyment.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

the wicked child wrote:I've come to the conclusion that I'm just not a GL fan. I don't know that I would say anything I've had from them is bad... But none of it really made want to drink another either.
My thoughts exactly.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/the-be ... obharvilla" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

anyone have before
I've seen Prairie Artisan Ales for sale around Massachusetts for a little while now, but I hadn't bought any due to the aforementioned local angle and also because the **** is very expensive. But I finally caved and paid $14 for a 16.9-ounce bottle of their Prairie Hop. This one came highly recommended, and I love the idea of a saison done up with Simcoe and Citra—I think Belgian yeast and American hops work great together—but 90 cents an ounce is a bit steep. So this is going to be one of those deeply-ungratifying-for-everyone reviews that ends with me saying, "Is Prairie Hop worth the price? I dunno, man, you got kids in college?" Anyhow.

Prairie Hop smells fantastic: peach, mango, and pineapple dominate, with lesser doses of black pepper, dirt, and pine. The saison yeast comes through more clearly on the palate, as the pepper deepens and stands up to the fruit to provide ideal balance. It's so spicy that I wouldn't be surprised if there were some rye mixed in with the barley. Hell, my new favorite beer comes from Krebs, Okla., so I guess I wouldn't be surprised by anything anymore.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

I think Prairie Artisinal Ales was mentioned a while ago on here. They have rocketed to the top of my list of breweries I want to get my hands on. Seems like they are doing some amazing stuff in the saison and sour territory that I love.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

Honestly, I want to like saisons because you, c2i, and canaan love them (though canaan's taste for cucumber beers calls all of this into question) and I feel like the beer described above would potentially bring me closer to liking them. Adding the bite of simcoe and citra seems like it would address what I don't like about saisons, which is the thin mouth feel. I would have imagined it would overwhelm the upside of saisons, which is the unique flavor in comparison to other styles, but that article indicates its a harmonious combination.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Eat it, Coors light boy
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

That's a pretty pimped up lineup of brews
http://prairieales.com/beers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

canaan wrote:Eat it, Coors light boy
Uh, I would never drink tht swill.

It's IC light. Get it right.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

slappybrown wrote:Honestly, I want to like saisons because you, c2i, and canaan love them (though canaan's taste for cucumber beers calls all of this into question) and I feel like the beer described above would potentially bring me closer to liking them. Adding the bite of simcoe and citra seems like it would address what I don't like about saisons, which is the thin mouth feel. I would have imagined it would overwhelm the upside of saisons, which is the unique flavor in comparison to other styles, but that article indicates its a harmonious combination.
You should seek out some Jolly Pumpkin. Bam or Luciernaga. I think brett bites the tongue in much the same way as hops, just a bit further back. It's a much different flavor but the bite is similar. Saisons just clicked for me the way IPAs clicked for some of you guys. I take selling you and MWB on them as a personal challenge. One day.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Saisons are the king of beers....as it were.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Sierra Nevada Hop Hunter on draught.

A fresh IPA that uses hop oil extract as an additive. The amount of pine resin at the nose is intense. Expecting a bitter flavor from the nose, I was surprised at how clean the flavor was. Really an enjoyable beer. Light ABV at 6.3% for a full flavored IPA.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

columbia wrote:Saisons are the king of beers....as it were.
Crappy?

:slug:
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Jofa Guy »

What do you guys think about the Boulevard Tank 7? I remember hearing it was a Saison, and I don't know if I'm a big fan of them or not. I remember liking that one however I had River House, by Martin House, and it made me feel sick. Probably from the yeast I guess?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Wonder if Fat Heads will file suit. Head Hunter IPA vs. Hop Hunter IPA, the former being one of the most well-regarded IPAs out there. Easy to see why there're a lot of trademark issues in the craft beer industry.