Canaan's thread of NPR chaos.

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Canaan's thread of NPR chaos.

Post by mikey287 »

Mark Giordano is out for the season. Torn bicep. Too bad...Norris Trophy forerunner is toast...
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Avyran »

That sucks... and that really, really deflates the Flames' chance this year.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

I know this thread is nearing its fifth birthday, but each time I see it, I think it has something to do with Steve Inskeep, Ira Glass, Car Talk, and/or Prairie Home Companion. :lol:
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Avyran »

Toronto's such a fun trainwreck to watch.

Kessel blasted the media again (and I think he's right):
Jonas Siegel wrote:Phil Kessel just lambasted Toronto media for treatment of Dion Phaneuf: "It's not his fault. Why he does he get the blame?"

Kessel: "I think the way the media treats Dion Phaneuf in this city is embarrassing."

More Kessel on Phaneuf: "Is it his fault we're losing? No. Did he build this team? No.

Spoke to Kessel a little after his outburst on Phaneuf. Said he's just "tired of it" and felt the need to speak up.
Meanwhile, in response to the TSN Twitter fiasco...
Joffrey Lupul wrote:Get familiar with #nocomment
BleuLineLady
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by BleuLineLady »

Avyran wrote:Toronto's such a fun trainwreck to watch.

Kessel blasted the media again (and I think he's right):
Jonas Siegel wrote:Phil Kessel just lambasted Toronto media for treatment of Dion Phaneuf: "It's not his fault. Why he does he get the blame?"

Kessel: "I think the way the media treats Dion Phaneuf in this city is embarrassing."

More Kessel on Phaneuf: "Is it his fault we're losing? No. Did he build this team? No.

Spoke to Kessel a little after his outburst on Phaneuf. Said he's just "tired of it" and felt the need to speak up.
Meanwhile, in response to the TSN Twitter fiasco...
Joffrey Lupul wrote:Get familiar with #nocomment

I love it...I hope that Kessel, Dion, Lupul play their butts off and win games to ensure that the Leafs wont get McDavid. Toronto is by far one of my favorite cities in the world, I've personally spent alot of time there growing up...its a world class place to live. With that said, the TML are a total mess of an organization...McDavid deserves better.
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Avyran »

#Avs MacKinnon said he's "Home Alone" in Talbot's house after Max trade to #Bruins Talbot, wife and child left for Boston this am #Avalanche
Cool of Talbot to do that... but that must be pretty awkward.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Presumably that happened to staal at recchi's yes?
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

So MacKinnon gonna trash Talbot's house?
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

All the leafs need is a Khardasin !
BleuLineLady
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by BleuLineLady »

mikey287 wrote:If you're going to go divisional, it should be pure divisional. No contest. 1-4/2-3 in the Patrick semis, winner plays for the Patrick Division title, winner of each division plays for the Prince of Wales Trophy...easy. Having this goofball wildcard thing just mucks it up. Play it straight up or go back to the 1-8/2-7 deal...
Agreed...I hate this new format. Honestly I would just prefer the 1-8, 2-7 format back again. I think they did the divisional rounds of the playoffs to promote rivalries but really especially in the East, most teams are very familiar with one another and will be heated matchups in the playoffs regardless.
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Avyran »

LOL. The Blue Jackets are so, so unlucky this year. I'm just laughing at the ludicrous nature of it.
David Clarkson will be sidelined 4-6 weeks due to a torn oblique muscle [READ]: http://cbj.co/clarkson0304 #CBJ
[Edit for you, Mikey. :lol: ]
Last edited by Avyran on Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Bru-crew too...Brett Connolly may have broken his hand in practice today...

EDIT: You sniped me on the edit... :evil:
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Avyran »

What edit? ;)

Yeah, reports I've read say 6 weeks out. Definitely broken.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Humperdink »

Had to laugh listening to the sports radio in Buffalo this AM: "There was no change the points standings for last place as the Oilers lost last night". Their lead hockey story.

So nice to be a 'Burgh sports fan, as opposed to elsewhere.
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Avyran »

I give up on PR...

Do you guys have any other good websites to discuss the Pens or hockey in general? (I plan on keeping up with NPR here.) I want to discuss the game, but I don't have a lot of friends that follow it, and it's just not fun to discuss in PR anymore.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Avyran wrote:I give up on PR...

Do you guys have any other good websites to discuss the Pens or hockey in general? (I plan on keeping up with NPR here.) I want to discuss the game, but I don't have a lot of friends that follow it, and it's just not fun to discuss in PR anymore.
Here's a really positive post. :wink:
http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB ... 5#p2971155" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

It never has been. I just need somewhere to express my thoughts so it works just as well as a blog that no one reads would. When you interact with other people on a special interest forum, its always bad. This place is better than most as far as i can tell.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

I've taken a look at HF Boards and have never returned.

What turns you off so much? The negativity? The stupidity? The idea that some on here believe they know more than the professionals?
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

Yes
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Or you could just use the foe list and solve most of your problems.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

The repetition is what gets me. Endless circular discussions that spin off into their own threads. No one content just to sit and wait for an outcome, just endless new threads of speculation with no real point. I came here because I wanted a more in-depth understanding of hockey beyond my high school level playing but you have to wade through a lot of noise to get it.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

ADD is the problem. "What have you done for me yesterday?" mentality dominates sports discussion these days...ruins it...
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Gotta pick your arguments and avoid the crazies. If you sit back and look, there are quite a few people that can carry on a good conversation. Try to only respond to them.
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Avyran »

shmenguin wrote:Or you could just use the foe list and solve most of your problems.
I do, but the discussions always end up being shaped by the people I've foed because they're so dead set on proving their point, or proving their strawman argument wrong.

Factorial, it's the constant negativity, the repetition, and a seeming lack of respect. It's hard to have a civil discussion when 50% of it is people seemingly yelling at each other with no desire to actually listen (or having 50% of the posts just say "This post was made by *insert-name* who is currently on your ignore list" as you try to ignore it). dodint & Mikey hit my frustration pretty spot-on, and it's a constant rerun every GDT thread / loss. It's like there's no hope, and a majority of the posters are just waiting for the Pens to fail so they can vent their frustration on LGP.

The lack of civility/respect for each other's opinions is definitely my biggest frustration, though.

There definitely are good posters, like you said, meow, and that's the reason I've lurked on this board for so long before finally becoming active. But it seems the majority of those posters stay in NHR for the most part now or have been pushed out by the mob mentality that is so pervasive in that section (PR) now.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Do you have more people foed than i do?