GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by Jofa Guy »

I think that's the best way to do it, with the regions and wildcards.

Stone Ruination got me in trouble last night, $5.99 for a bomber. Good beer but a hop bomb for sure. Should have had that one first instead of one of my last ones of the day haha.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Local place had Hopslam on tap last night. It was on tap but not on their tap list yet. My wife ordered it as she loves that beer. I got Firestone Walker's Double Jack, really good in case anyone thought about getting it. Anyways... apparently before they put the hop slam on, they had a winter warmer type of beer on that tap. Lots of cinnamon and nutmeg. Well, I guess the cinnamon flavor got left behind because all I could taste in the hop slam was straight cinnamon. I was pretty upset about it. My wife liked it though and drank the whole thing. Oh well.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

The IPA bracket thing sounds interesting... though I'm a bit concerned about the voting since there are likely to be beers that I haven't had.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

The best thing I had at beerfest was Block House's double chocolate bock. Granted, chocolate beer isn't for everyone, and it's not an every day beer, but it was pretty tasty.

I also finally got to try La Fin du Monde, which was pretty great.

Agree with twc & pfidc, though. The Saturday event is for the birds. Too many people, and too little selection.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

count2infinity wrote:Just off the top of my head, look for: Oskar Blue's Ten Fidy, Bell's Expedition Stout, Great Divide's Yeti (the oak aged one is good too), and Stone has a good Russian Imperial Stout as well. I'm sure there are more, but those are just ones I remember having and thinking they were pretty good.
Great list (not a big fan of ten fidy my only nitpick). Expedition and the Oak Yeti are a cut above for me, love those two.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

canaan wrote:
slappybrown wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:Nugget Nectar is a great beer, I dunno, I guess I am very fortunate to live about an hour from Hershey so I can easily get it for months. Either way, solid offering.

Tried Victory Hop Ranch on tap tonight. This my friends...this is a fantastic beer. Solid DIPA. Victory seems to be wizards when it comes to hop balancing, and this is no exception. Definite West Coast hop character, but well balanced.
Hmm, I have yet to see this one round these parts. Is this a new release this year or have I just missed this one in the past?
Pfft. Even the cesspool that is the Mon valley has it
Why have you not found your way to my house with a case

Poor form
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Jofa Guy »

Froggy wrote:The best thing I had at beerfest was Block House's double chocolate bock. Granted, chocolate beer isn't for everyone, and it's not an every day beer, but it was pretty tasty.

Agree with twc & pfidc, though. The Saturday event is for the birds. Too many people, and too little selection.
I've only had La Fin du Monda once, and it was *#*#* outstanding. Does anybody know of other beers that are comparable to this one?
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Golden monkey is a cheaper, reasonably similar version.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

the wicked child wrote:The IPA bracket thing sounds interesting... though I'm a bit concerned about the voting since there are likely to be beers that I haven't had.
Think it's a good way to find ipas to search out and try.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

split up a case of hop juju this weekend 4 ways after going through my previous 6 pack (beer guy at GE gave me 6 in a mix n match), seriously top notch stuff. Complete tropical bomb. I don't remember the price being so high on this last year. Case was $72 which I thought was really steep, but it was slim pickens trying to find it. Have you guys seen it around?
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Post by OutofFoil »

Got it for $64, but well worth it. It was difficult to find. A local distributor I follow on Twitter posted they got it in and since I work from home, I was able to get there within 15 minutes to get the last of the 4 cases they received.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

do you remember it being this difficult to find last year? I had zero problems walking in just about anywhere and getting a 4 pack
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Post by OutofFoil »

It was about the same last year for me, tasted it at a Beerfest, but had procurement problems. That's why I was keeping a close eye out for it this year.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Jofa Guy wrote:
Froggy wrote:The best thing I had at beerfest was Block House's double chocolate bock. Granted, chocolate beer isn't for everyone, and it's not an every day beer, but it was pretty tasty.

I've only had La Fin du Monda once, and it was *#*#* outstanding. Does anybody know of other beers that are comparable to this one?
Like shmenguin said, Golden Monkey is close, but I think Delirium Tremens is also comparable.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Jofa Guy wrote:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/lists/style/58/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

MRandall25 wrote:
Jofa Guy wrote:

Like shmenguin said, Golden Monkey is close, but I think Delirium Tremens is also comparable.
I personally prefer DT to all 3, but Golden Monkey is the only one you can remotely find a case for a "reasonable" price. Around $40 last I saw.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

I tried DT for the first time recently, and it must have been a bad tap because it had no head and tasted flat. If its supposed to be of a similar ilk to LFDM, then none of that makes sense.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

It's a "Belgian Strong Pale Ale", but tastes a lot like a tripel to me. You probably did have a bad tap.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

I had UFO White this weekend. It was very good.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Blech.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

I think DT is the most one of the most overrated beers out there, so, I'm not so sure you had a bad tap.
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Jofa Guy »

I agree. I haven't had DT in a while but I don't think its quite worth the price.

Also thanks for the response guys, I have to try some Golden Monkey. I pass it up every time I see it, but I always come close to getting it.
44windmill
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by 44windmill »

Thirded on the DT - not that great a beer for its price. La Fin Du Monde all day every day for me. Actually, Unibroue all day every day. Probably my favorite brewer.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

So... how awesome is it when someone says "I have leftover beer you might like" and they hand you Old Rasputin?

PS: Hi slappy
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Sixpoint Resin was really good. Reminded me a lot of SN Hoptimum. Nice bitter pine taste
Spoiler: