GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by MRandall25 »

largegarlic wrote:I saw that the H1KB is opening a new location on Route 19 in Wexford. It would be nice to have it in a newer, nicer building in a less out-of-the-way location, but I also have been burned in the past when some of my favorite beer bars move from divey locales to nicer ones. You get the yuppie crowd moving in, because craft beer is hip right now, and it gets too crowded to be enjoyable. At least it seems like the New Ken location is staying open...
What part of 19?
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

MRandall25 wrote:
largegarlic wrote:I saw that the H1KB is opening a new location on Route 19 in Wexford. It would be nice to have it in a newer, nicer building in a less out-of-the-way location, but I also have been burned in the past when some of my favorite beer bars move from divey locales to nicer ones. You get the yuppie crowd moving in, because craft beer is hip right now, and it gets too crowded to be enjoyable. At least it seems like the New Ken location is staying open...
What part of 19?
The article said it's a new shopping plaza called Marshall's Crossing, near Labriola's (?) Italian Market. I'm not sure exactly where that is, but it seems safe to say it'd be more convenient for most than New Ken.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

A quick Google says it's near Bobby Rahal Volvo/Jaguar.

Interesting. Will have to check it out.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Picked up a bottle of hop concepts dank and sticky, looking forward to it.

Anyone try Sierra Nevada hop hunter yet? Worth $35 for a case?
44windmill
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by 44windmill »

Coworker friend of mine is going on vacation up in Vermont next week. Said he's stopping by Alchemist, and that if he can score some, will hook me up with a 6'er. I really don't care what he gets, I've always heard great things from their beers. Sounds like a good way to usher in the spring.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

44windmill wrote:Coworker friend of mine is going on vacation up in Vermont next week. Said he's stopping by Alchemist, and that if he can score some, will hook me up with a 6'er. I really don't care what he gets, I've always heard great things from their beers. Sounds like a good way to usher in the spring.
Tell him to call ahead and try to find out if they'll have Heady Topper available.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

44windmill wrote:Coworker friend of mine is going on vacation up in Vermont next week. Said he's stopping by Alchemist, and that if he can score some, will hook me up with a 6'er. I really don't care what he gets, I've always heard great things from their beers. Sounds like a good way to usher in the spring.
Yeah, Heady Topper. Even if he can't get any, just tell him to go to a local store and pick up a mix of some vermont beers. Hard to go wrong.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

MWB wrote:mix of some vermont beers. Hard to go wrong.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

No longer qualifies as a vermont beer in my mind ;)
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

haha, true enough.

My wife picked me up a random one at the Beer Store today. Hitachino Nest Espresso Stout
Spoiler:
I've gotta say, this is pretty damn good. I didn't even know Japanese breweries made American-style stouts, but this one is pretty darn good. Not quite as good as, say, 2xpresso, but excellent.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

shafnutz05 wrote:
I've gotta say, this is pretty damn good. I didn't even know Japanese breweries made American-style stouts, but this one is pretty darn good.
There's also a Japanese whisky scene:
http://www.theatlantic.com/business/arc ... ey/382378/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

shafnutz05 wrote:
What a **** beer
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

columbia wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:
I've gotta say, this is pretty damn good. I didn't even know Japanese breweries made American-style stouts, but this one is pretty darn good.
There's also a Japanese whisky scene:
http://www.theatlantic.com/business/arc ... ey/382378/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There's a new show on Travel Channel called 'Booze Traveler' which we've kinda gotten into. One of the episodes was Japan, and they went to a sake brewery and also to the Suntory distillery. They apparently only have 12 stills, and all the different whiskys they make various combinations and ages of what comes out of those 12 stills. I thought it was fascinating.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

slappybrown wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:
What a **** beer
A cautionary tale for micros.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

shafnutz05 wrote:haha, true enough.

My wife picked me up a random one at the Beer Store today. Hitachino Nest Espresso Stout
Spoiler:
I've gotta say, this is pretty damn good. I didn't even know Japanese breweries made American-style stouts, but this one is pretty darn good. Not quite as good as, say, 2xpresso, but excellent.
I've said it on here multiple times, if I had to choose one beer to drink for rest of my days, it would be hitachino nest white ale.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

I had Nugget Nectar on draft today for the 1st time. It was ok.
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Jofa Guy »

eddysnake wrote:Picked up a bottle of hop concepts dank and sticky, looking forward to it.

Anyone try Sierra Nevada hop hunter yet? Worth $35 for a case?
Hey guys, long time lurker and finally posting again. Hop Hunter is a good beer. Comes in at 6.2 abv and 60 ibu's. I'm a huge sierra fan so I might be a little biased. I would definitely recommend trying a sixer or getting it on tap first before you buy a case, due to the fact that the mouthfeel sticks to your mouth like peanut butter.
Jofa Guy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Jofa Guy »

I moved here to Texas from Pittsburgh about 10 years ago, and I must say the Texas beer scene is getting a LOT better. (It was brutally awful, with Shiner being the only decent beer)

Point is, has anybody had any beers by Community or Deep Ellum? If you're an IPA fan, I believe count2infinity is just from my creeping knowledge, then these breweries are excellent for a good IPA. I recommend Mosaic IPA by community, or Dream Crusher DIPA by Deep Ellum which has a TON of citrus in it. The Dream Crusher is exceptionally smooth for the 9% abv. Try it out!
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

The Hop Concept (Lost Abbey and Port Brewing collaboration) Dank & Sticky was awesome. Go find one. This is their 1st of 4 releases this year. Big pine and a lot of resin and its only $7 for a bomber.

http://www.thehopconcept.com/#index
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Where did you find it?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

GE. went in looking for fatheads hop juju (what's going on with that this year? It seemed like it was on shelves for weeks last year, now it's become one of the hardest to find) and it was there. My guy just texted me and said he was able to get me a 4 pack of juju so I'm heading there at lunch for that and will probably get more of the Dank & Sticky
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Post by OutofFoil »

Went to Mad Mex last night for IPA week, after the wife and I killed 4 nice IPA's each at 1/2 price happy hour, we won the door prize drawing and walked out with a Pens cooler full of good beer and brewery swag. It was a good evening. Got a Fatheads hoodie, toboggan, a few can coolers, a Headhunter, Hop Juju, Hop Nosh, Sculpin, Stacy's Mom, Space Dust, Terrapin Rye Cubed, and a bomber of Terrapin Chocolate Orange Weizenbock. Like I said before, it was a good night.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

So back around xmas I picked up a bottle of Raison d'Extra. Based on comments in the thread, I decided to let it sit for awhile before drinking it. What do you think the right amount of time for that would be? I almost keep forgetting that I have it until I see it buried in my fridge. I have plenty of beer, but I don't want to wait too long and have the beer go the other way.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

the wicked child wrote:So back around xmas I picked up a bottle of Raison d'Extra. Based on comments in the thread, I decided to let it sit for awhile before drinking it. What do you think the right amount of time for that would be? I almost keep forgetting that I have it until I see it buried in my fridge. I have plenty of beer, but I don't want to wait too long and have the beer go the other way.
it's good right now, but if you're going to let it set, i'd do it for at least a year. you could probably let it sit for 5 years, at least, before it would depreciate.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Hop juju, oh my. I wish they released this in the summer. The aroma is unreal. Chillwave is upon us, another one that would be fantastic fresh in July.