The Walking Dead

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: The Walking Dead

Post by SolidSnake »

GSdrums87 wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:I was hoping that would be Negan
Another crucial step to his introduction.
He is suspose to make the Governor look like a wuss isn't he?
Oh yeah. It's pretty insane.
Nice looking forward to it especially since Terminus was so short and didnt make the impact I expected
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Hockeynut! wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:lol at "filler" episode.
I said that because there was no plot development and no character development. That doesn't mean it was a bad episode, but you could completely remove it from the series save for the very last scene, and nothing would change.
Pretty much how I felt about it... and since I don't read the comics... well, at this point it's just some dude. I may honestly just wait a few weeks and binge watch to catch up. I'm not really digging the week-to-week so much as of late.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I'm caught up.

Yay.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

I just watched and liked the last episode.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I liked the trippy episode two weeks ago. The most recent one, not so much. I was FFWD'ing through the commercials and realized it was 45 minutes in, and nothing had happened yet.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Hopefully its a good one tonight.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

I'm annoyed already. :lol:
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Rick in dumbass mode.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Business is kinda picking up.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Haha Woah....
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

It would be interesting to have a few episodes of total peace. Maybe let months or even more pass by with no threat of anything. And then when everything goes to hell again it would be crushing.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

I enjoyed that episode. Aaron (?) and his boyfriend are already more well rounded than half of the other characters. I also laughed/smiled a few times which was a really nice change from all of the grim, relentless nihilism the show's been giving us lately.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Take away the hospital and it's been a very good last 2 seasons.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

comic question...so is the basic story from now on...
Spoiler:
alexandria is cool for a while. maybe there's a little drama here and there. they eventually deal with some walkers and some a-holes along the way, and eventually negan's group comes and totally messes things up?
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

It would be nice if they did a little "time leap" where things are cool for a while, they can have Judith grow up a little have Carl actually catch up to his age (he has aged 5 years over a story line of like a year) and go from there.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Id dig a fast forward.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

shmenguin wrote:comic question...so is the basic story from now on...
Spoiler:
alexandria is cool for a while. maybe there's a little drama here and there. they eventually deal with some walkers and some a-holes along the way, and eventually negan's group comes and totally messes things up?
pretty much...
Spoiler:
We will have some time where Rick needs to decompress from being in survival mode and him and the group are looked at like savages and they need to come back from the edge. So it should make for some good story.

We are now at issue 70 and there's mostly just stuff about dealing with their new lives for the most part for another 14 issues which is where I think this season will end on a cliff hanger with Carl.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

The thing I don't get from a logistical standpoint (again, my fault for looking for logic in a zombie show) is that they keep wandering around looking for civilization but are so wary of anyone offering civilization. I know they've had some really bad experiences, but why not try to start their own town/village/whatever? There would have been plenty of gated communities around Atlanta they could have taken over. What's the point in constant wandering and putting your lives in danger, aside from TV show drama?
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Hockeynut! wrote:The thing I don't get from a logistical standpoint (again, my fault for looking for logic in a zombie show) is that they keep wandering around looking for civilization but are so wary of anyone offering civilization. I know they've had some really bad experiences, but why not try to start their own town/village/whatever? There would have been plenty of gated communities around Atlanta they could have taken over. What's the point in constant wandering and putting your lives in danger, aside from TV show drama?
They did in the prison and it was destroyed.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

DelPen wrote:
shmenguin wrote:comic question...so is the basic story from now on...
Spoiler:
pretty much...
Spoiler:
We will have some time where Rick needs to decompress from being in survival mode and him and the group are looked at like savages and they need to come back from the edge. So it should make for some good story.

We are now at issue 70 and there's mostly just stuff about dealing with their new lives for the most part for another 14 issues which is where I think this season will end on a cliff hanger with Carl.
Spoiler:
i read a little bit about the issues between now and negan. it doesn't seem like the show could spend a ton of time on that material. i think there's a staleness they want to avoid ever since the farm/prison days. staying in one setting for more than a season would surprise me. so i'd guess he'll show up somewhere between the finale and next year's mid season finale.
DropEmJayBird
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by DropEmJayBird »

Soo... let's take the dangerous road north, at night... and say go ... I dunno - maybe 75 mph ... that will give us plenty of time to stop if we see a horde.... well maybe if we kept our eyes on the road - but it'll be more awesome if we keep looking away randomly.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

columbia wrote:Rick in dumbass mode.
His only mode.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

DropEmJayBird wrote:Soo... let's take the dangerous road north, at night... and say go ... I dunno - maybe 75 mph ... that will give us plenty of time to stop if we see a horde.... well maybe if we kept our eyes on the road - but it'll be more awesome if we keep looking away randomly.
If they took the safe road during the day, went the speed limit, and looked at the road and made it there safely, you'd say the show was boring. :pop:
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Why didn't Glenn use the wipers?
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

newarenanow wrote:
DropEmJayBird wrote:Soo... let's take the dangerous road north, at night... and say go ... I dunno - maybe 75 mph ... that will give us plenty of time to stop if we see a horde.... well maybe if we kept our eyes on the road - but it'll be more awesome if we keep looking away randomly.
If they took the safe road during the day, went the speed limit, and looked at the road and made it there safely, you'd say the show was boring. :pop:
I had the same problem as DropEmJayBird and it's the sort of thing that perfectly exemplifies the problems I have from the show. So much of the drama/excitement happens due to incredibly stupid actions by the characters. Like when they'll walk passed some walkers acting like they're harmless and then trip and fall and come inches away from being bit. It happens again and again and again. The "taking the dangerous road at night, speeding and not looking ahead of you" (when it could have just as easily been a jack-knifed tractor trailer that they might slam into rather than a horde of zombies) is the same thing on a bigger scale. Was it a fun scene? Sure, lots of carnage and I smiled. But the writers of the show either aren't good enough, or the storyline they're stuck with isn't deep enough, to let drama develop organically from the characters and situations and instead they resort to cheap, stupid thrills. It's the horror equivalent of a fat woman slipping on a banana peel and it makes it hard to root for character who continually make not only stupid and irrational, but also life endangering decisions that threaten themselves and everyone around them.

Don't get me wrong - I like dumb horror. Friday the 13th films are my favorites. But I feel like the show takes itself too seriously to have the characters be so stupid. Either go with the camp or, if you want a serious drama, make the characters smart enough to still be alive this far into a zombie apocalypse. The way they're written, they shouldn't have survived 2 weeks.