2014-15 Non-Pens Transactions

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: 2014-15 Non-Pens Transactions

Post by Gaucho »

I'm not sure what enticed the Sabres to make this deal.
jwest21
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jwest21 »

:scared:
Dickie Dunn wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:
count2infinity wrote:I'm getting my popcorn ready for the heartbreak when they don't get the #1 overall pick in Buffalo.
As long as they finished dead last though they're guaranteed McEichel.
Not necessarily, not with the new rules.

Here's a simulator: http://nhllotterysimulator.com/#/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Every non-playoff team has a chance. The worst team in the league only has a 20% chance at the #1 pick with the new lottery regulations.

Edit: Nevermind, I thought the other picks went like a lottery too. Apparently that isn't the case.
Thanks for that. First time I ran that simulator the Flyers won the lottery. Day ruined.
Flyers won it when I ran it, too! :scared:
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

The fix is in.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

Gaucho wrote:I'm not sure what enticed the Sabres to make this deal.
23 year old forward with the potential to be a 30+ goal scoring power forward...... and he won't be able to play until next year. High potential forward and the tank remains on. I think Buffalo overpaid, but wanting Kane makes sense to me. If he returns to form that's one hell of a winger for McDavid or Eichel.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Buffalo got the two best players in the deal and it helps them more that they won't have Kane for the rest of the year. If they get McDavid they are in a great position to not only make the playoffs next year but challenge for their division.
murphydump55
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by murphydump55 »

Penspal wrote:Winnipeg TOTALLY hosed Buffalo on this trade. I can't believe Tim Murray made this trade.

Kane is a cancer, and has a very serious injury.

Boggy is quality D, wish the Pens could of gotten him.

I know nothing of this goalie, so maybe that's the equalizer, but he better be the 2nd coming of Hasek.

Thankfully, the 1st round pick will NOT be a factor in the McDavid lottery as it will be the NYI one and fall outside the 14 non playoff teams who get a shot at McDavid. Losing the other guys just helps Buffalo's tank hopes.

Lemieux has been tearing it up in Junior though, that could be a big loss.
..and I've read the exact opposite from writers and analysts. So I wouldn't say "Winnipeg TOTALLY hosed Buffalo..." (also, it's could have, not could of)

What if Stafford doesn't re sign with the Jets? What if Myers' game isn't based on his situation and he really isn't that good?

Do you know for sure that Kane's injury is serious? Of course it requires surgery and it's a shoulder, which is tricky, but unless you've seen the medical records, you can't say that. Obviously the doctors have reviewed the medical records prior to the trade and were comfortable enough to give the green light as far as going through with the acquisition.

The question is whether or not Kane is really the player many believe his is. If he can be the player we've seen in the past and can do it on either Eichel's or McDavid's wing, it'll be a great trade for Buffalo. Bogosian suffers from injuries but if he can somehow stay healthy, he'll be a welcomed addition as he's tough to play against.

How Armia develops remains to be seen, as well as Lemieux.

There's just no way that anyone can say either side fleeced the other, at least not today.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Gaucho wrote:I'm not sure what enticed the Sabres to make this deal.
I think it actually kind of fits Buffalo's rebuild a little better than I even initially gave it credit for...

They've done a pretty good job not exposing 18 year olds to the radiation and fall-out of this rebuild...they have heat shield, lead shield, whatever you want to call it players like Conacher, Stewart, Meszaros, Neuvirth, whoever else, just mercenaries...players that are only in the NHL because they were last year...

Now, I feel like they see light at the end of the tunnel in terms of the maturity of their players and when they start to get this thing rolling they want to have men in there when it comes down to start playing real hockey...Evander Kane is a tougher player, Zach Bogosian - as we saw with shad's gif when he was tag-teaming Brendan Gallagher - is a tough customer...

So instead of following the Edmonton model of "line up the 18 year olds to die..." Hall-Nuge-Eberle, Schultz, etc....now you're looking at Moulson-McDavid-Kane with Ristolainen-Bogosian, Zadorov-Gorges, whatever...it's not a bunch of boys going out to play a man's game...

So from that perspective, you could make the claim that it makes sense. You're probably not gonna get many shots at an early 20's goal scorer like Kane coming on the market...they were already frustrated with Myers unreal level of inconsistency...so, they went in this direction...

Do I think it's a great trade for Buffalo? No, not really, I feel like they gave up a good amount of value...probably too much for my liking...but I can understand it from the point of view of their rebuild...
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

DelPen wrote:Buffalo got the two best players in the deal and it helps them more that they won't have Kane for the rest of the year. If they get McDavid they are in a great position to not only make the playoffs next year but challenge for their division.
This. I'm not sure if they'll challenge for the division with Enroth as their goalie, but if they can get a goaltender...they might be really decent next year.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Wonder if they could trade for a guy like Craig Anderson to provide them with a steady solid performance in goal to help with the overall spirits of the team. I sure hope not as an Anderson owner, but Lehner has finally looked decent here over these 5 games or so that Andy has been down with the hand injury.
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by GSdrums87 »

jwest21 wrote::scared:
Dickie Dunn wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:
count2infinity wrote:I'm getting my popcorn ready for the heartbreak when they don't get the #1 overall pick in Buffalo.
As long as they finished dead last though they're guaranteed McEichel.
Not necessarily, not with the new rules.

Here's a simulator: http://nhllotterysimulator.com/#/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Every non-playoff team has a chance. The worst team in the league only has a 20% chance at the #1 pick with the new lottery regulations.

Edit: Nevermind, I thought the other picks went like a lottery too. Apparently that isn't the case.
Thanks for that. First time I ran that simulator the Flyers won the lottery. Day ruined.
Flyers won it when I ran it, too! :scared:
59th sim for me til the Flyers won.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Enroth has done a whale of a job there...probably not the starter when that thing kicks into gear...I'm not sure how they go about the goaltending thing...they have Hackett, they have Makarov, I feel like they have one other guy too that has some upside...

Maybe Kristers Gudlevskis from Tampa Bay? Or maybe a vet, like you said, like Andy...I'm curious myself as to how they go about that...

What if the Leafs go full r-tard...and the Sabres make a push for Jonathan Bernier...who knows...
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

mikey287 wrote:Enroth has done a whale of a job there...probably not the starter when that thing kicks into gear...I'm not sure how they go about the goaltending thing...they have Hackett, they have Makarov, I feel like they have one other guy too that has some upside...

Maybe Kristers Gudlevskis from Tampa Bay? Or maybe a vet, like you said, like Andy...I'm curious myself as to how they go about that...

What if the Leafs go full r-tard...and the Sabres make a push for Jonathan Bernier...who knows...
I fully expect the Leafs to go full r-tard...but what about Reimer? or if he makes it to FA, Niemi?

or they could get Mike Smith from Zona.

Should be very interesting Trade Deadline.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

But Reimer isn't really much of an upgrade on Enroth...that's why I didn't mention him...

Niemi is a good pick...I believe that when Dubnyk was traded that Maloney hitched the entire state of Arizona to the Mike Smith wagon...I think they'll sink or swim with him...

Interesting TDL and offseason...as usual, in my opinion...
Last edited by mikey287 on Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

FLPensFan wrote:Also hearing that another trade maybe in the works and Buffalo cancelled practice.....hearing a goalie maybe shipped out.....
Enroth for Greiss.

:pop:
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

Kovy27 wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Enroth has done a whale of a job there...probably not the starter when that thing kicks into gear...I'm not sure how they go about the goaltending thing...they have Hackett, they have Makarov, I feel like they have one other guy too that has some upside...

I fully expect the Leafs to go full r-tard...but what about Reimer? or if he makes it to FA, Niemi?

or they could get Mike Smith from Zona.

Should be very interesting Trade Deadline.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

GSdrums87 wrote:59th sim for me til the Flyers won.
I want to live in your world.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

mikey287 wrote:I feel like they have one other guy too that has some upside...
Nate Lieuwen?
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Kraftster wrote:Yeah. I guess my reaction to c2i's post was more because I find it easy to root for Buffalo in the race for McDavid, and it seemed like c2i was rooting against them in part due to the trade.
No... not at all. I'd like for them to get McDavid. I have numerous friends that are Sabres fans and I'd love for them to get him. It's more along the lines of "It's Cleveland/Buffalo so something is definitely going to go wrong." So I'll have my popcorn ready for when it eventually happens.
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Avyran »

If Buffalo gets McDavid, I like this trade a lot more. Kane gives McDavid a scorer that can also protect him.

Unfortunately, that's a big if.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

LOL at Evander Kane. Wants out of crappy team, gets traded to other crappy team!
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Either way, it's likely to be McDavid or Eichel...they'll be in good shape regardless...
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

I'm just Uber-Glad Philly did not get him.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Is that how the new lottery works? Say the 20th place team wins, they get 1st overall, then the 30th place team gets 2nd overall. Or do they pingpong ball the entire top 14 picks?
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=728795" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The top 3 picks are all lotto drafts. The worst the last place team could get is 4th overall. It used to be the worst the last place team could get was 2nd overall.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

That kinda sucks really.