Tax Season!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Tax Season!

Post by dodint »

columbia wrote:The optimal method is have zero withholdings and tap into a short term municipal bond fund to pay the amount due.

I'm too lazy to do that and will get a $1300 refund from the feds.
$1 more than me, so you win the tax game! ;)

I claim zeros but we're both students and we gets some money back from that. And my wifes payroll company does some weird stuff with withholding amounts. At least they didn't knock us negative this year like they did in 2011.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

We arewere terrible at saving money so that refund is nice. I changed my claims from 0 to 4 at the beginning of last year so that will be a big hit to the refund. My wife is still claiming 1, we have 15 months of mortgage interest paid on our 2014 return, and we have a child so we should still get a decent return. If it's enough for 1 mortgage payment and our resale docs then I consider it a huge win.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Is there anything special for those who pay city of Pittsburgh taxes but live outside of the city?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

I like getting the big refund and paying down big chunks of loans/debt once a year rather than relying on myself to put in a little extra each month. I know it's not the right way to look at it, but it works me and if in the end it's the difference of me saving $20 sitting in an account, so be it. I also got a drinking horn from Iceland for Christmas, so what else do I need?
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

For those of you in PA, have you received any local tax forms in the mail? I went to do my local taxes online, but they want a PIN number from the "Taxpayer Annual Local Earned Income Tax Return" form. I haven't received any such form.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

I received this email from Berkheimer:
Our records indicate that you e-filed your Annual Earned Income Tax Return last year.
As a result, instead of a form packet, we are sending you this email as a reminder
to file your 2014 Annual Return by April 15th, 2015.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

I think I have to do local taxes through Berkheimer, their online system is a mess, I waste more time each year trying to figure it out than I do eventually just mailing the paper in.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

sigh...

I forgot we didn't let the MVA know that our car was totaled last year so they will intercept our state refund. I paid the fine today. Hopefully it all goes through before the refund gets to them.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I got my refund in exactly one week. :thumb:
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I filed on Jan 23 and it was in my account on Feb 4.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

I filed Jan 30th. I checked the IRS website and it said it would be sent to my bank on Feb 6th. So hopefully it will be in tomorrow, even though the site says it could take up to the 11th for it to show up in my account, it never has before.
60sixx
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by 60sixx »

My yearly check-in - I do taxes for a living. 15 years individual, 8 years corporate. If you have any questions, DM me.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

I got my state refund this morning. It was e-filed Saturday evening. Not bad. Problem is I paid the state of MD the $175 we owed them so they would release the refund when it got to them. Apparently they took the 175 out of the refund before sending it to me. Now I have to call and try and get someone to talk to about getting my money back. I think the state of MD just gained an extra $175 from the PFiDC family.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

TurboTax halts e-filing all state returns. People were stealing identities and using TT to file false returns. Alabama alone rejected 16,000 returns once it caught on. It's not really a breach of TT itself but was used as the vehicle for fraud. Should make using TT next year even more cumbersome.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

Just go see a CPA :)
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

dodint wrote:TurboTax halts e-filing all state returns. People were stealing identities and using TT to file false returns. Alabama alone rejected 16,000 returns once it caught on. It's not really a breach of TT itself but was used as the vehicle for fraud. Should make using TT next year even more cumbersome.
I switched to using TaxAct a few years ago, and I like it better than I did TurboTax.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

I filed my pa return using TT. Owed 3 bucks.
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by CBear3 »

Gotta wait till my year end profit sharing check arrives before I can file. For the first time ever I owe the Fed $600 and the state $50.

Debating cheating and printing out my 2013 return from TurboTax and doing it manually since I've got the extra time.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Cheating TT? You can do your 2014 return and print it out, then copy it over to clean forms if you wanted to save some bucks. That's pretty much what I'm doing with the WI return since I'm not paying $38 to file a $1 return.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

CBear3 wrote:Gotta wait till my year end profit sharing check arrives before I can file. For the first time ever I owe the Fed $600 and the state $50.

Debating cheating and printing out my 2013 return from TurboTax and doing it manually since I've got the extra time.
TT will charge ya to print 2013s return if u haven't already printed or saved it locally
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

60sixx wrote:My yearly check-in - I do taxes for a living. 15 years individual, 8 years corporate. If you have any questions, DM me.
Is H&R Block reliable? My sister-in-law used to do them, but got out of the game.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

They're fine if you have a simple return
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by CBear3 »

mac5155 wrote:
CBear3 wrote:Gotta wait till my year end profit sharing check arrives before I can file. For the first time ever I owe the Fed $600 and the state $50.

TT will charge ya to print 2013s return if u haven't already printed or saved it locally
Interesting, I downloaded it Thursday without an issue. Maybe deluxe gave me some perks.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Deluxe edition will give you for free. I had basic and it was asking me to upgrade for a fee
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by CBear3 »

Aha, paying extra finally paid off.