The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Post by slappybrown »

JS© wrote:
viva la ben wrote:Rossi has proclaimed Patrick Kane as the best player in the world. CLICK
Rossi also said that both Sid and Geno are past their primes. :face:
Well, they kind of are past their peak primes. I'd say they're within the band that would generally be considered their prime, but it's downslope.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Post by Tim Thomasen »

slappybrown wrote:
JS© wrote:
viva la ben wrote:Rossi has proclaimed Patrick Kane as the best player in the world. CLICK
Rossi also said that both Sid and Geno are past their primes. :face:
Well, they kind of are past their peak primes. I'd say they're within the band that would generally be considered their prime, but it's downslope.
There in their late 20s so no there not past their primes. There probably three years away from even starting to have that conversation.

So no Rossi's wrong (as usual) and so are you.

And Fraud Girioux is not the best player in the game and never will. I'd reserve that for Patrick Kane

For all the complaining about why Rossi still has a job? This thread is a great example to why. All of you on a public place in the internet complain and criticize how dumb and ilinformed his column are. Well guess what he got all of you to read it and then talk about so he's doing his job. Amazing now of you have picked that up by now. When you write or say something for effect and your able to get people to talk about and generate something, even though negativity. Then the writer or radio personality wins.

Rossi must have a good laugh everytime to go to social media or message boards and reads things like that. He then knows his work his complete.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

It does not appear that you actually understood my post.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

I never actually read Rossi's column. Only heard about it and thought the premise was dumb.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by malkinshair »

Dickie Dunn wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:I was listening to Mueller and Starkey on the way home and they were discussing the super bowl commercials. Mueller went on a rant about the Budweiser ad that made fun of craft beer snobs. He seemed legitimately offended. lol. They even moved on and he revisited the topic and went on a second rant.
I listened for like 5 minutes on the way home and heard Mueller get extremely defensive when a caller gave him a hard time about his new-found contrarian view point on everything (Bettis isn't a hall of famer, Carroll didn't make a stupid call, deflate gate meant absolutely nothing to him). Over the past two months whatever the popular opinion is Mueller immediately goes to the opposite. He's like a mini-Fillipponi.
Mueller isn't a mini-anything...he has morphed into an arrogant 'high thinker' that believes that not only is his point of view the only acceptable POV, but that anyone holding a differing POV is ignorant/not worthy of his time. It's kinda sad...when the afternoon show was him, Starkey, and Miller, I thought that it was a good mix of 'old' and 'new'. Miller was the buffer that kept Mueller from going off his deep end. Now, there is no buffer. Starkey seems to enjoy letting him go off on stuff (probably because he knows how ridiculous he makes himself sound at times), and it makes for bad sports radio discussion. He's literally coming off like a sports version of Chris Matthews or Rush Limbaugh. His rant about Lynch's d-baggery at the Super Bowl was a perfect example of him picking a side and refusing to let go. Madden, or a guy like Jim Rome, will use similar tactics, but you always know that it's schtick to draw a reaction. I think Mueller actually convinces himself that he's right. It's annoying to listen to...

I can't believe I'm typing this, but I think that Ron Cooke has been good for Poni's on-air personae. Cooke calls him out on his infamous flip-flopping, and I've noticed him at least tone it down a notch as far as his uber-contrarian stances. He can still be unbearable on his own, when there's no one there to 'pull him back', but at least he recognizes that he's not the only member of the team when Cooke's there.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

slappybrown wrote:It does not appear that you actually understood my post.
I did, and I still disagree with how it was worded. He never said anything with peak. He specifically said "past their primes."

Now if he meant past their peaks or peak primes, he's a journalist (by definition...I guess) and should know the difference.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Tim Thomasen wrote:For all the complaining about why Rossi still has a job? This thread is a great example to why. All of you on a public place in the internet complain and criticize how dumb and ilinformed his column are. Well guess what he got all of you to read it and then talk about so he's doing his job. Amazing now of you have picked that up by now. When you write or say something for effect and your able to get people to talk about and generate something, even though negativity. Then the writer or radio personality wins.

Rossi must have a good laugh everytime to go to social media or message boards and reads things like that. He then knows his work his complete.
That actually isn't true either. I heard his comments when flipping past Da Fan on the way home from work. I never bothered to seek out his article, nor with I bother with giving any of his works a click. He gets enough RTs in my twitter feed that I can see what he has to say without viewing a single page.

That said, that also falls under the "how dumb and ill-informed his column is" comment. Others are RTing his articles, which obviously means they have read it.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Yeah, I coudnt be less interested in seeking out the thought of Rossi. I like listening to Joe Starkey, and Its ruined when Rossi is on the air.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Can we all go back to hating Paul Zeise?
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

The number of um's and ah's from Zeise in a 15 minute segment has to be close to 100.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

IS U AZLEEP?
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

JS© wrote:
Tim Thomasen wrote:For all the complaining about why Rossi still has a job? This thread is a great example to why. All of you on a public place in the internet complain and criticize how dumb and ilinformed his column are. Well guess what he got all of you to read it and then talk about so he's doing his job. Amazing now of you have picked that up by now. When you write or say something for effect and your able to get people to talk about and generate something, even though negativity. Then the writer or radio personality wins.

That actually isn't true either. I heard his comments when flipping past Da Fan on the way home from work. I never bothered to seek out his article, nor with I bother with giving any of his works a click. He gets enough RTs in my twitter feed that I can see what he has to say without viewing a single page.

That said, that also falls under the "how dumb and ill-informed his column is" comment. Others are RTing his articles, which obviously means they have read it.
I comment on his stupidity constantly and havent read one of his articles in years. Likewise with every trib reporter, i just avoid going to links directed that way at all.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

Yeah I never bought into the "Well you're talking about him, so it must be working" theory. It's like a while back in here people were ripping Mueller and some people defended him like, well its bothering you and you're discussing him so he wins, right?!" Uh no. Because of his weak ass transparent trolling I've listened to maybe, maybe 5 whole minutes of the afternoon show in almost 2 years. Me commenting that he's an obnoxious turd who thinks he's one of the original Kings of Comedy doesn't increase their ratings one bit. And like others, I can get the gist of a rossi column from people who retweet it or the discussions here. The guy's a complete shmuck and I have no idea why anyone would promote him by retweeting what he says on twitter.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

Turned on that 11 on the ice on WPXI and get treated to Rossi's strange misshapen body. What a complete and total tool bag. These players can't possibly enjoy talking to this weirdo. This is a guy some people read and actually take his opinions seriously.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Jim Boeheim just called into Joe Starkey to apologize for the treatment he gave Joe after the Pitt win. :shock:
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

viva la ben wrote:Jim Boeheim just called into Joe Starkey to apologize for the treatment he gave Joe after the Pitt win. :shock:
Seriously?
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Surrealiously
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

I think it's spot on. The peak prime in hockey is like what 25-26? Crosby and Malkin are now coming down the backside of their primes easily.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Malkamaniac wrote:
I think it's spot on. The peak prime in hockey is like what 25-26? Crosby and Malkin are now coming down the backside of their primes easily.
Stats wise the early 20's are typically the peak of elite players. I don't think we'll see another 120 point season from Crosby.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

Pavel Bure wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:
Stats wise the early 20's are typically the peak of elite players. I don't think we'll see another 120 point season from Crosby.
I don't even think we'll see 110 from him.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Pavel Bure wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:
With the way the game has gone, I'd be surprised if any player reached 105 or 110.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

No wonder I haven't caught John Feinstein in some time....CBS fired him in November. :lol:

He was/is better than most alternatives.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

It really pains me that Poni is probably the best radio guy on da FAN.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Dude....
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

Are Yinzer stereotype jokes and impressions all Dunlap knows how to do? He just goes back to that well day after day after day