Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by PghSkins »

I use "your sitch-e-ation is pretty nigh hopeless" any chance I get.

Or, if I'm on the other end: "We're in a tight spot."
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Loading dishwashers is like driving. Everyone thinks they're good at it. Most people aren't.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Factorial wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:When people wash dishes then put them face down on the drying mat, resulting in no drying and eventual mold because moisture is trapped in there
Mrs Shaf does that?
Mrs Shaf has been trained not to :pop:

If we are talking dishwasher pet peeves, I hate when laziness compels people to put all of their silverware in one part of the basket, the one closest to the front.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

I do that, too. But I unload it myself, so whatever.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

what's the deal with jet dry? i haven't used it in years, and i'm still alive and my dishes look fine.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

I actually find the glassware comes out looking cleaner with fewer spots.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

yeah, jetdry is mostly helping my glassware more than anything.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

When your flugelbinder slaps off the top of your shoe when you walk
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

We've been hand washing everything for a little over a week now and I kind of like it. We only have 1 set of dishes per person so it makes it really easy to just use, wash, dry, put away. We never have any dishes in the sink or in the dishwasher. I still like having one and will use it if something really needs sanitizing, but if we are looking at a rental that doesn't have one it wouldn't be a deal breaker.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I got into hand washing at the apartment I stayed in for two months, but in the house the sink is really deep, and I'm tall, so it's painful to have to stoop to wash by hand so I end up using the dishwasher.

It'll be great for thawing a Thanksgiving turkey, though.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

tifosi77 wrote:Good god, man, how long are you leaving the dishes on the mat? :lol:

Along those lines......... Mrs Tif is amazing at nearly everything. But she is terrible at a few minor things, most of which I don't care about, one drives me bonkers. First, she can't cook to save her life. I'm not exaggerating. She makes chili once a year, and that's it. (Altho it is a pretty good chili) It's kind of an open joke with us and our friends. I do all the cooking, and I'm fine with that. She has a bizarre compulsion when it comes to cleaning. If we are having company, it's not uncommon for her to just arbitrarily throw stuff away if it's out and visible when she comes around cleaning. That doesn't sound bad in a vacuum, but in the past she's thrown out letters from the bank regarding our mortgage and her W-2. So it's kind of a big deal. But the thing that really sends me loopy (and for no really good reason, mind you) is that she cannot properly load the dishwasher. I always end up redoing the whole thing. She just dumps stuff in, scattershot. I take the time to put the dishes in size order, and maximize the space. I cannot express the depth of my frustration over this, and it's such a stupid thing to fixate on. I'm as frustrated with myself for being frustrated over this and I am frustrated over this.
We are married to the same woman?
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

dodint wrote:I got into hand washing at the apartment I stayed in for two months, but in the house the sink is really deep, and I'm tall, so it's painful to have to stoop to wash by hand so I end up using the dishwasher.

It'll be great for thawing a Thanksgiving turkey, though.
get over it, tall guy

#tallprivilege
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I should just hire Peter Dinklage to do it.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

mac5155 wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:Good god, man, how long are you leaving the dishes on the mat? :lol:

Along those lines......... Mrs Tif is amazing at nearly everything. But she is terrible at a few minor things, most of which I don't care about, one drives me bonkers. First, she can't cook to save her life. I'm not exaggerating. She makes chili once a year, and that's it. (Altho it is a pretty good chili) It's kind of an open joke with us and our friends. I do all the cooking, and I'm fine with that. She has a bizarre compulsion when it comes to cleaning. If we are having company, it's not uncommon for her to just arbitrarily throw stuff away if it's out and visible when she comes around cleaning. That doesn't sound bad in a vacuum, but in the past she's thrown out letters from the bank regarding our mortgage and her W-2. So it's kind of a big deal. But the thing that really sends me loopy (and for no really good reason, mind you) is that she cannot properly load the dishwasher. I always end up redoing the whole thing. She just dumps stuff in, scattershot. I take the time to put the dishes in size order, and maximize the space. I cannot express the depth of my frustration over this, and it's such a stupid thing to fixate on. I'm as frustrated with myself for being frustrated over this and I am frustrated over this.
We are married to the same woman?
The worst part about this is I'm pretty sure she's on to me at this stage, and at least half of the dishwasher thing is her trolling me. :twisted: :lol:
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

My wife doesn't throw away as much as she hides. As long as it's out of her sight it's "clean". No mind if there's bills in the entertainment center... dog toys in a kitchen drawer with aluminum foil and saran wrap... etc
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Its amazing how many people cant properly load a dishwasher. Id like to see these people pack a car for a trip.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

my wife doesn't believe in preventative maintenance of the house. I tend to pick up after myself, but she just leaves stuff everywhere and then all of a sudden she decides it's cleaning day and gets a little pissy when I don't help her clean up all of her stuff. If you do a little bit each day, you don't need to spend hours over the weekend cleaning.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

For some reason my wife can't grasp the fact that certain items need to placed in certain areas of the dishwasher or it will interfere with the spinning blades. I'll hear a *thunk thunk thunk* coming from the dishwasher. I'll open it and see something way too tall for the top rack and the blades are bumping into it. Every. Single. Time. Without fail.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

count2infinity wrote:my wife doesn't believe in preventative maintenance of the house. I tend to pick up after myself, but she just leaves stuff everywhere and then all of a sudden she decides it's cleaning day and gets a little pissy when I don't help her clean up all of her stuff. If you do a little bit each day, you don't need to spend hours over the weekend cleaning.

This is a habit we have been in for about 2 years now. When we go upstairs for the night there is to be nothing on the dining room table, no dishes in the sink, and nothing on the desk in the den. It makes keeping a clean house that much easier. For now it's even more. Everything has to sparkle when we go upstairs for the night. Nothing on the floor or on any surface.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

I'd join in with the wife stuff, but yinz got it covered.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

mrs. meow doesn't get how to properly clean the entire house. She wants to run the sweeper, mop the hardwoods, then dust. I tell her it's like washing a car, you don't start with the wheels, you start at the highest point and work your way down. She doesn't get it. I also catch her mopping without running the sweeper. With two dogs, that is the dumbest idea I've ever heard of.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

I wish I grew up in the 40s/50s when women knew how to do stuff.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I have a 70s style full house vacuum cleaner.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

don't you mean sweeper?
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

dodint wrote:I have a 70s style full house vacuum cleaner.
You have central vacuum? That's awesome. I had that in the house I grew up in and it was great. I love my Dyson but I would take central vacuum in a heartbeat.