Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by shmenguin »

It's also for those who want people to think they know about music.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

That I would disagree with.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

What if I simply like jazz?
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Sarcastic wrote:
count2infinity wrote:I played on stage at a concert with Maynard Ferguson... /jazz snob
What do you play, the tuba?
that night? trombone.
Gaucho wrote:What if I simply like jazz?
yup... I have a jazz station or two on my pandora, but it's just for easy listening while I'm working. I don't know much of anything about advanced music techniques and theory, I just enjoy listening to it.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

shmenguin wrote:Jazz is for people who know too much about music to enjoy it like normal people.
This is put exceptionally.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Gaucho wrote:What if I simply like jazz?
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Jazz is the only form of music that was invented in this country which has not been improved by people from Britain. For that reason alone, I'm all for it.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

tifosi77 wrote:Jazz is the only form of music that was invented in this country which has not been improved by people from Britain. For that reason alone, I'm all for it.
country music?
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Blues was improved by the British?
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:Jazz is the only form of music that was invented in this country which has not been improved by people from Britain. For that reason alone, I'm all for it.
country music?
Ahem
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

PensFanInDC wrote:Blues was improved by the British?
Have you never heard of the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin? Zep in particular took the sound of the Mississippi Delta and put it through a Marshall stack and invented a whole new kind of music. (Granted, as has been discussed elsewhere, they flat out stole much of their early repertoire)
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

deep dirty south hip hop?
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

tifosi77 wrote:
Have you never heard of the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin? Zep in particular took the sound of the Mississippi Delta and put it through a Marshall stack and invented a whole new kind of music. (Granted, as has been discussed elsewhere, they flat out stole much of their early repertoire)
Blues influenced rock is not blues IMO.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Seattle-based grunge?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

tifosi77 wrote:
To continue the point, The Stones started out as a blues cover band essentially. Even the name of the band is a Muddy Waters song...it was a little bit before they wrote their own music and much of it was not very lyrically gifted (not sure it really ever was outside some Brian Jones influenced stuff) and often "started over" completely - like The Citadel. A lot of stuff of theirs that I'm really into now (mainly because I'm just learning about it more in the last little while) is the old blues covers...
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

I'm sorry but if you consider Zeppelin, The Beatles, or Rolling Stones blues bands (and not rock bands) I don't know what to tell you. They are certainly blues influenced (as all rock is) but they are certainly not blues bands. Would you find these bands in the blues section of a record store (what's a record store?)
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I mean, really they all have roots back to the Baroque period, so really you could consider them all Baroque as well.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

PensFanInDC wrote:I'm sorry but if you consider Zeppelin, The Beatles, or Rolling Stones blues bands (and not rock bands) I don't know what to tell you. They are certainly blues influenced (as all rock is) but they are certainly not blues bands. Would you find these bands in the blues section of a record store (what's a record store?)
No one said they were blues bands. The assertion was that they took blues music and improved it and made it something better.
count2infinity wrote:I mean, really they all have roots back to the Baroque period, so really you could consider them all Baroque as well.
In the same way that modern birds are dinosaurs, sure. But I'm talking about something being the next step in the evolutionary chain. Band B took music from Artist A and made something new and interesting out of it. I think it's pretty much a straight line A-to-B kind of thing from Muddy Waters to The Stones. Don't take my word for it, Muddy himself famously said, "They stole my music, but gave me my name."
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

PensFanInDC wrote:I'm sorry but if you consider Zeppelin, The Beatles, or Rolling Stones blues bands (and not rock bands) I don't know what to tell you. They are certainly blues influenced (as all rock is) but they are certainly not blues bands. Would you find these bands in the blues section of a record store (what's a record store?)
For the record, I don't consider the Stones to be a "blues band".
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I listen to Acid House Country sung by Brits. Or whatever genre Alabama3 has themselves in these days.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Sarcastic wrote:lol... I wasn't serious with that tune. That's Free Jazz. It's one big mess. Probably the worst kind of music there is. I like to drive my mom crazy in the car when I'm driving her somewhere.
May I suggest you get a copy of the Beauborg album from new-age artist Vangelis?:

[youtube][/youtube]

I will admit to being a Vangelis fan, and I do own Beauborg on CD, but I don't really listen to it. It's long been rumored that Vangelis wanted out of his record contract with RCA, but RCA said that the contract required him to make one more album. So he gave them.... this. Back when I was an A/V and audio tech in college, I used this CD for speaker checks. It's actually quite good for that task, as the first few minutes includes highs, low bass, and stereo pans from side to side. The reaction I'd get from others never failed to amuse. :lol:
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

[youtube][/youtube]
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

Shyster wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:lol... I wasn't serious with that tune. That's Free Jazz. It's one big mess. Probably the worst kind of music there is. I like to drive my mom crazy in the car when I'm driving her somewhere.
May I suggest you get a copy of the Beauborg album from new-age artist Vangelis?:

[youtube][/youtube]

I will admit to being a Vangelis fan, and I do own Beauborg on CD, but I don't really listen to it. It's long been rumored that Vangelis wanted out of his record contract with RCA, but RCA said that the contract required him to make one more album. So he gave them.... this. Back when I was an A/V and audio tech in college, I used this CD for speaker checks. It's actually quite good for that task, as the first few minutes includes highs, low bass, and stereo pans from side to side. The reaction I'd get from others never failed to amuse. :lol:
Not my cup of tea. It's just sound effects. Don't hit me. :)
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

:thumb:

[youtube][/youtube]
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch