Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by tifosi77 »

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:Freddie
IPP.... the fact that the discussion about great rock voices continued - with some laughably predictable contributions - after this post was made.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Willie Kool wrote:Don't get me wrong, I think he's a great singer. There's just something there that annoys the **** out of me.
His voice only works in the context of hard rock. It's far too nasally for any other kind of singing outside of his range's sweet spot.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:Cantrell is the real heart of the band (don't get me wrong, I love Layne, but Cantrell wrote most of the songs and is a very underrated guitarist) but its just too tough at this point
Totally agree with this. Cantrell was AIC's secret sauce.

The only two Seattle bands I've ever given any credence to are AIC and Soundgarden. Which is because they are really just metal bands in plaid. They may not like that characterization (especially Kim Thayil), but the music speaks for itself.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:When the room spins
Just lay down and put your foot on the floor.
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by LeopardLetang »

i am not enjoying the music talk in this thread. but at least it's spurned me to post an ipp that i've thought about for years: when people post music videos as responses.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Fake reality shows billed as real stuff. Caught "ultimate survival Alaska" today. It was so **** fake from second number one. Yeah we're a surviver team in Alaska... Let's jump off this cliff into rushing water of which we have no knowledge of depth or temperature. These shows should be forced to have disclaimers that they're fake.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Pavel Bure wrote:Fake reality shows billed as real stuff. Caught "ultimate survival Alaska" today. It was so **** fake from second number one. Yeah we're a surviver team in Alaska... Let's jump off this cliff into rushing water of which we have no knowledge of depth or temperature. These shows should be forced to have disclaimers that they're fake.
Actually, if you read the fine print of the credits they more or less do say they're fake. They may not come out and say 'This is fake', but they say something like 'dramatic license' or 'recreations' 'the producers consulted on...' and so and so.

We watch a lot of HGTV and DIY Network. Things like Property Brothers, Love It Or List It, House Hunters, the Crashers, etc. In shows where buying a house is involved, each episode - almost without exception - features a couple who have already purchased their house prior to filming, and the other two 'option houses' are usually not even on the market. (I saw one article that posited they were often friends of the couple being featured on the show, or family, and they agreed to let them stage the house as a for-sale option.) The couple may not have even bought their house all that recently; I read about one couple who had been living in their 'new' home for nearly a year before House Hunters gave them the nod and they started filming their 'house hunt'. Drew Scott is never the Realtor for the transaction on Property Brothers (there are liability concerns there), and Jonathan Scott is usually on site about five or so days out of a six week reno.

Conversely, the couples on the Crasher shows are genuine; they actually do troll home improvement stores looking for people to give a kitchen/bathroom/living room/yard makeover. However, there are some times when they can't get anyone to agree to it, and so instead of wasting a filming day they have a 'stunt couple' ready as a back up. I've known people on both sides of that; one guy in my cooking class was the backup dude on two different improvement shows and got something like $75,000 worth of work done to his house for free. And a former co-worker and his wife were asked to be on Room Crashers, but they didn't own their home at the time. (They made it on to the show, tho) I did find it funny to read about the number of people who think the Crashers come back the next day to do all the work. Never mind that there have been episodes where they come back and it's like a whole different calendar season. Never mind the planning, permitting, hiring of sub-contractors, etc that has to take place. On average, there's about a 30-60 separation between meeting the couple at the store and the first day of the crash.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

We are friends with a couple that was on house hunters. They certainly had not purchased before filming and the entire show was pretty legit to really life.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Then they are very much the exception.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Of that I have now doubt.

They were also on some wedding show on TLC or something. They said the producers tried everything to manufacture drama.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

LeopardLetang wrote:i am not enjoying the music talk in this thread. but at least it's spurned me to post an ipp that i've thought about for years: when people post music videos as responses.
Excellent post. Would read again.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Amazon reviewers that are trying out for Penguin Random House.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

LeopardLetang wrote:i am not enjoying the music talk in this thread. but at least it's spurned me to post an ipp that i've thought about for years: when people post music videos as responses.
[youtube][/youtube]
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

YOU TAKE THE S OUT

IPP: ninja edits.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Smoove like dat.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I saw it. Weird, though, since the s wasn't in it. I was baffled.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

eye doctors.

i see fine with my current Rx. i want a new pair of glasses. i shouldn't have to make an appointment and pay for you to tell me nothing has changed. just let me order my new damn frames, bozo.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

ladles
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

zenni optical. Love 'em.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

count2infinity wrote:zenni optical. Love 'em.
using warby parker for this. easy process. you pick 5 frames to try on at home, send them all back when you're done and then order the one you like best.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Report your findings. I want to get a second pair of computer glasses to keep at home, but I don't want to spend a ton. (My close-up prescription glass frames were muy expensivo, and I'm not dropping that coin on backups)
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I don't mind not trying them on as at zenni optical they give all the measurements (and from wearing glasses since 7th grade, I know the sizes I need) and they're very affordable. Haven't spend more than $25 on a single pair other than my RX sunglasses (polarized lenses run a little more).
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I dont use my glasses or contacts now, but im considering getting my next pair of sun glasses in my rx.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

shmenguin wrote:eye doctors.

i see fine with my current Rx. i want a new pair of glasses. i shouldn't have to make an appointment and pay for you to tell me nothing has changed. just let me order my new damn frames, bozo.
Is this a new thing where if your prescription is older than the a year they won't make new glasses for you? I overheard a woman telling a customer that when I was getting new glasses recently.

The other thing was I had flex money to burn at the end of the year and I just wanted 1.5 reading glasses to replace some crappy drug store model and they wouldn't make them because I didn't have a prescription saying 1.5. Ridiculous.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

This one is exceptionally irrational.

Jazz. Can't stand it.

Jazz shmazz...
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner