Formula 1 thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Formula 1 thread

Post by dodint »

Thanks, tif. Was just being a placeholder until you showed up. ;)
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Jackie Stewart & Graham Hill, Nürburgring, 1966.

OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Post by OutofFoil »

Gaucho wrote:Jackie Stewart & Graham Hill, Nürburgring, 1966.
Spoiler:

Big, Giant you know what's. :thumb:
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by CBear3 »

I think that's a compilation image
Spoiler:
Frankly I want this one for my wall:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

One of the most beautiful F1 cars of all time. :thumb:
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I was watching some DTM (from Spielberg) from last summer. Stuff on the DVR I hadn't watch yet. I don't watch a lot of DTM but it really is a who's who of F1 washouts. Lots of familiar names on there.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Force India and Williams released their liveries this week:

dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Not surprised the FI livery is such a departure. Wish it had a little more orange, though. Like the Williams, they're doing fairly well with that iconic sponsor.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

dodint wrote:I was watching some DTM (from Spielberg) from last summer. Stuff on the DVR I hadn't watch yet. I don't watch a lot of DTM but it really is a who's who of F1 washouts. Lots of familiar names on there.
Reading this, I just opened the Google Box to see if Cora Schumacher was still racing and found this story from November:

Police called to home of Michael Schumacher's brother following report of "screaming"

At the end of the story was this line: "Former model Cora became embroiled in an ugly public spat with her ex-cleaning lady, Ulrike Grollmann, in 2008, accusing her of stealing bananas and using her skin cream."

I used to think Cora was kinda hot, in a trashy adult performer kind of way.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

dodint wrote:Not surprised the FI livery is such a departure. Wish it had a little more orange, though. Like the Williams, they're doing fairly well with that iconic sponsor.
Hands down the best looking car last year.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

She has an oddly shaped face/chin/forehead.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

That's one of those news stories where you have to have a famous last name for it to ever appear in print. ;)
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by CBear3 »

MRandall25 wrote:She has an oddly shaped face/chin/forehead.
Cora, or the Force India?
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Anyone watching the 24 Hrs of Daytona?

Funny thing just happened. They were showing a series of on-boards, comparing the engine sounds of each type of car. Prototypes, front-engine GT, mid-engine GT, rear-engine GT..... a good 3-4 minutes straight of revhead bliss. Then Tommy Kendall goes, "Every single one of those sounds better than the current generation F1 car." Yes they do, TK. Yes, they do.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

My nose hair trimmer sounds better than current F1 cars.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Yeah, watched the R24. On a delay, though, so I just finished it.

Congrats to Corvette for managing to beat a BMW that was missing it's back end and did double duty as lawn mower. Keep enjoying that super friendly top end that IMSA hasn't bothered to correct. Should bode well for BMW later when they get to race at tracks where you actually have to turn for most of the circuit. So, May, after Sebring and Long Beach. ;)

Also, :lol: @ Wayne Taylor Racing. Rube.

Felt bad that the Ferrari's mostly crashed out and the Porsche's all blew up. Made for a pretty weak field at the end.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

dodint wrote:Yeah, watched the R24. On a delay, though, so I just finished it.

Congrats to Corvette for managing to beat a BMW that was missing it's back end and did double duty as lawn mower. Keep enjoying that super friendly top end that IMSA hasn't bothered to correct. Should bode well for BMW later when they get to race at tracks where you actually have to turn for most of the circuit. So, May, after Sebring and Long Beach. ;)

Also, :lol: @ Wayne Taylor Racing. Rube.

Felt bad that the Ferrari's mostly crashed out and the Porsche's all blew up. Made for a pretty weak field at the end.
I haven't been able to get my wife into sports car racing much, so she was curious when I was laughing at Taylor's plight towards the end of the race. The best way I could sum it up to her was that a Wayne Taylor car never lost a race, nor did their drivers ever do anything wrong, they've just gotten screwed by everyone else... just ask them. Fully agree on the Corvettes, too.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Wayne Taylor is a sniveling *****. When I started really getting into sports car racing every single race he was crying about something and it just turned me off to him. The commentators were having a good time with it, implying Ganassi double stinted Dixon and tricked Taylor into a drivetime infraction. :lol: JT is probably actually a really talented driver but until he breaks away from Daddy I'll root for him to fail every time.

My biggest issue (aside from their existence, I watch for GTLM) with TUDOR P is that there just aren't enough entries. I hate everyone for something. When Ganassi switched to Ford from BMW I turned on them (even though it was the right move, BMW wasn't helping at all) so I lost the last team I was able to root for. :evil:

Also, save some lulz for Oliver Gavin punting himself out of contention for the win with a rookie'esque move. At least the less obnoxious Corvette got the watches.

My wife is pretty great, but when I start thinking about reasons why the fact that she likes F1 and sports car racing is right up there on the list. She knows the drivers, tracks, classes, goes to events with me, and actively follows it. We were supposed to go to the R24 this year but with the move it couldn't happen, and she was genuinely bummed.
When she started undergoing treatment and lost all her hair and had the nausea she insisted we still go to the last ALMS race at VIR. She took a nap in the car right up until the dropped the green flag. While she was sleeping I went to the BMW RLL trailer and got the driver lineup and crew to autograph a shirt for her during the race. Very awesome of them. They apologized for it being wrinkled, as it was passed around and stuffed in their track suits all afternoon. :lol:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

dodint wrote:My wife is pretty great, but when I start thinking about reasons why the fact that she likes F1 and sports car racing is right up there on the list. She knows the drivers, tracks, classes, goes to events with me, and actively follows it. We were supposed to go to the R24 this year but with the move it couldn't happen, and she was genuinely bummed.
This is one of my favorite photographs of Mrs Tif.
Spoiler:
That's on top of the hill at Laguna Seca. The one and only A1GP race held there (my friend promoted it). In March. It was cold, and raining. It was also her birthday.

I took this pic, looked at the preview image and said, "Hey, why don't we start making our way back to the car?" :lol:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Name the helmets

I can name three in row 1, 4 (maybe 5) in row 2, 5 in row 3, 3 in row 4, only 2 in row 5, 5 in row 6, and 3 in row 7.

There were two helmets I was very surprised to not see.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

:lol:
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by CBear3 »

I was happy to get one in each row.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

I know one of the Red Bulls has to be Vettel, Webber, and Coulthard. That leaves at least 1 more.

I know Senna, I know Alonso, I know Schumacher, I know Raikkonen. That's about it.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Neither Schumacher nor Coulthard are on that graphic. The other omission which surprised me was Twobens. Between those three, that's 870 starts, 115 wins and 94 poles not represented.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

And in row five, I'm pretty sure one of the 'German' helmets (red, yellow black) is Stefan Bellhof, but I don't know which one. I just remember he had German colors on his lid.