TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: TV Shows

Post by GSdrums87 »

Speaking of X-Files, just heard about that Lone Gunmen spinoff that came in 2001. The pilot episode (no pun intended) was about terrorists hijacking a plane's autopilot and flying it into the World Trade Center. I think it came out in March 2001.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lone_Gunmen_(TV_series" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

Hockeynut! wrote:I always preferred the stand-alone episodes of the X Files to the alien/conspiracy ones. I know I'm in the minority in that feeling though.
I didn't always, but I definitely do now. I haven't watched that many, but I've seen a handful of the stand-alone episodes on SyFy in the past couple years, and they hold up pretty well. I was just thinking that it seems unlikely the show would come back just for a string of, say, 10 stand-alone episodes. Nowadays, it seems like every show (or at least the ones with shorter 10-13 episode seasons) has to have some overarching theme/plot for each season.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

On Pilot season... halted after about 12 minutes of Mad Dogs, and watched all of Down Dog. I think I was too tired for the former, and managed to stay up for the latter. Down Dog has Paget Brewster of Criminal Minds fame... it had its funny moments but it's not a comedy safe for children.

Man in the High Castle - kept thinking the truck driver looked familiar... wasn't until I looked up on IMDB that I saw he was the same actor who played the intern Finn Abernathy on Bones the last three seasons (7-9).

If I am edging out so far in my votes, it's High Castle by an edge over Point of Honor, if only for their premise (original vs common angle of brother vs brother[-in-law]). But will finish Mad Dogs and will probably watch Cocked. May or may not watch the Salem Rogers Model of the Year 1998. By the preview sounds to be a comedy (that and the headlined costar is Rachel Dratch, formerly of SNL)

I did get back to rest of Mad Dogs. Brutal is one way to put it. Unexpectedly so. It felt like the first half of a feature film more than a TV series though. Definitely NSFC.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Hockeynut! wrote:I always preferred the stand-alone episodes of the X Files to the alien/conspiracy ones. I know I'm in the minority in that feeling though.
I thought everyone felt that way
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

Sunny season premier was good.

Kroll show season premier...well...I still don't know what the hail happened.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

I really wanted boris the blade to kill Mrs bunting on downton abbey last night
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Is the X-Files rumor legitimate or is that pulled from the nerdist podcast episode with gillian anderson? They said they were going to try to start a twitter campaign and the episode came out in the past week or so.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

Fox confirmed they're considering it.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

I get so mad every time I think about the X-Files. I loved the series so much until the last couple seasons, when they basically let it spin aimlessly out of control to no real conclusions of the story lines. They also had an easy way forward by building shows that came after the first movie on what was revealed in the movie itself, but alas it was like the movie never happened. And the second movie - I Want to Believe - was utter garbage.

I have no faith in the series being any good if has anything remotely to do with the original.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Netflix renewed their deal with BBC. I see shows I never were on there before that sound good. Anyone watch bbc wallander or copper?
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Stoked about the BBC deal. They make quality shows.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

GSdrums87 wrote:Speaking of X-Files, just heard about that Lone Gunmen spinoff that came in 2001. The pilot episode (no pun intended) was about terrorists hijacking a plane's autopilot and flying it into the World Trade Center. I think it came out in March 2001.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lone_Gunmen_(TV_series" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

That's pretty freaky. I started watching the first season of The X Files a couple years ago and really enjoyed it, but stopped once I heard about the plethora of unresolved story lines. No desire to binge watch 9 seasons of a show without a payoff.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

eddysnake wrote:Netflix renewed their deal with BBC. I see shows I never were on there before that sound good. Anyone watch bbc wallander or copper?
My mother-in-law watches the BBC Wallander and loves it. There's a Swedish version on there that looks interesting.

I finished The Honourable Woman. Highly, highly recommended. Some great performances and an excellent story.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

Eismann wrote:Sunny season premier was good.
I laughed a lot. One thing bothered me the entire episode, though.
Spoiler:
Charlie was on a plane?! Willingly leaving Philly?! He had to get knocked out and stuffed in the trunk when leaving in the past. It didn't fit with the character and bugged me way more than it should have.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
eddysnake wrote:Netflix renewed their deal with BBC. I see shows I never were on there before that sound good. Anyone watch bbc wallander or copper?
My mother-in-law watches the BBC Wallander and loves it. There's a Swedish version on there that looks interesting.

I finished The Honourable Woman. Highly, highly recommended. Some great performances and an excellent story.
I added honourable woman, sounds interesting. Looks like wallander with kenneth branaugh is setup like Sherlock with 3 movies in each season.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Had seen promos for Copper on BBC America. Wanted to watch it but didn't get around to it.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

I'm with you. I enjoy most of the episodes, but really like the stand alone type that only focused on that week.

I hope it doesn't come back. That show was great for the 1990s when it was on. I still love it and watch it all the time. But if a new one came out, I personally think it would be disappointing.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Kroll show season premier...well...I still don't know what the hail happened.
DAMNIT. I forgot it was starting and didn't DVR it. Going to have to watch it on demand.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

We finally got around to finishing the 3rd season finale of Unforgettable last night. Heard this has already been cancelled, but just the same they left a nice cliffhanger event nonetheless.
Nuge
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Nuge »

Is there anywhere I can watch the first 3 episodes of season 2 of the blacklist? The official website and on demand only have 4-7 available.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

It will be on Netflix eventually. They bought the rights.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

nocera wrote:
Spoiler:
Charlie was on a plane?! Willingly leaving Philly?! He had to get knocked out and stuffed in the trunk when leaving in the past. It didn't fit with the character and bugged me way more than it should have.
Spoiler:
Lol, I agree with your accuracy...good recall of the road trip episode, which was also pretty awesome. I'd imagine he would have been lured by the proposition of attempting to break a drinking record.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Just watched the first episode of House of Cards.

Wow.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Nuge wrote:Is there anywhere I can watch the first 3 episodes of season 2 of the blacklist? The official website and on demand only have 4-7 available.
You can pay 1.99 each on Amazon instant video. Or buy enough stuff to get promotional credit to get it for free. (We already had the credit at Amazon from no-rush prime shipping & my wife wanted them. Now can I find the time to watch season 1 on Netflix is the question.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

Eismann wrote:
nocera wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Lol, I agree with your accuracy...good recall of the road trip episode, which was also pretty awesome. I'd imagine he would have been lured by the proposition of attempting to break a drinking record.
Yes, it was EXCELLENT. Glad it's back, finally.