TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: TV Shows

Post by dodint »

Milk that cash cow. Hit it hard, Fox.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Pilot Season:

Point of Honor -- a great pilot. Sets up a potential series or mini-series well. And shot in Virginia, so bonus. ABC Signature involved in the project.
Man in the High Castle - great flow so far just short of halfway. Noticed Ridley Scott's name in the opening credits.

Really shame that only one show will get picked up by Amazon out of however many there are.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

relantel wrote:Pilot Season:

Point of Honor -- a great pilot. Sets up a potential series or mini-series well. And shot in Virginia, so bonus. ABC Signature involved in the project.
Man in the High Castle - great flow so far just short of halfway. Noticed Ridley Scott's name in the opening credits.

Really shame that only one show will get picked up by Amazon out of however many there are.
Amazon picked up five shows in each of their first two pilot seasons.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

oh good. There is hope then. What should I watch next after I finish Man in High Castle?
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

It remains to be seen how serious Amazon is with actually producing the shows they pick up. They recently dropped the Chris Carter series they had greenlit.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Is Matthew Perry going to ruin Thomas Lennon's big break? Lennon is awesome but is Chandler of all people going to pull off Oscar Madison? Ugh. The Odd Couple is an easy reboot but that's some weird casting for Oscar. Aren't there about a million heavyset funny guys out there ready to take that role? I'd go as far as to say that Frank Caliendo would do it better.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

Hockeynut! wrote:It remains to be seen how serious Amazon is with actually producing the shows they pick up. They recently dropped the Chris Carter series they had greenlit.
The After? I wondered what happened with that. I thought it was originally picked up but hadn't seen any news about a release date. Crappy move by Amazon. Bosch is set to be released the first week of February, so at least I get to look forward to that.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

I'm 6 episodes into The Honourable Woman, a BBC Netflix production. Maggie Gyllenhaal won a Golden Globe for it. It is exceptional...like a Le Carre novel.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

dodint wrote:Is Matthew Perry going to ruin Thomas Lennon's big break? Lennon is awesome but is Chandler of all people going to pull off Oscar Madison? Ugh. The Odd Couple is an easy reboot but that's some weird casting for Oscar. Aren't there about a million heavyset funny guys out there ready to take that role? I'd go as far as to say that Frank Caliendo would do it better.
Interesting that you consider this lennons big break.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

I finally finished Gracepoint.
Spoiler:
I did not see the killer coming, well, the confessed one anyway & the whole pedo aspect. Save that disjoinder, thought the last 5 episodes, or at least #s 6-9, were very good. They almost set up the end as a partial cliffhanger once Emmett figures out who really did it...
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

canaan wrote:
dodint wrote:Is Matthew Perry going to ruin Thomas Lennon's big break? Lennon is awesome but is Chandler of all people going to pull off Oscar Madison? Ugh. The Odd Couple is an easy reboot but that's some weird casting for Oscar. Aren't there about a million heavyset funny guys out there ready to take that role? I'd go as far as to say that Frank Caliendo would do it better.
It is. The guy is a workhorse and I'm a fan. A network show that gets to syndication is a lifelong cash cow for a guy like Lennon. Odd Couple should be able to do that if it catches on. I really want it to go well for him but I don't see it happening with Perry. Reno 911! is great and all, but it's not a syndicated network cash cow.

Just hope he gets his payoff.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Maggie Gyllenhaal won a Golden Globe for it
for acting?
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

relantel wrote:I finally finished Gracepoint.
Spoiler:
I did not see the killer coming, well, the confessed one anyway & the whole pedo aspect. Save that disjoinder, thought the last 5 episodes, or at least #s 6-9, were very good. They almost set up the end as a partial cliffhanger once Emmett figures out who really did it...
Spoiler:
I figured it out in the second or third to last episode when the female detective was going off on the weird old woman about "how could you not know what your husband was doing". Just seemed like that was going to come back to haunt her.

It's a shame the show was canceled. I'm thinking of watching Broadchurch on Netflix as they was picked up for season 2.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

dodint wrote:
canaan wrote:
It is. The guy is a workhorse and I'm a fan. A network show that gets to syndication is a lifelong cash cow for a guy like Lennon. Odd Couple should be able to do that if it catches on. I really want it to go well for him but I don't see it happening with Perry. Reno 911! is great and all, but it's not a syndicated network cash cow.

Just hope he gets his payoff.
Or......call me old fashioned, but Lennon could bring back The State.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

They have, on At Midnight. Sorta. ;)
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Mythbusters did an episode on Raiders of the Lost Ark. It was pretty enjoyable... they tested using the whip to disarm someone with a gun, running through the gauntlet of poison darts, using the whip to swing across the chasm and whether or not the tip of the whip could break the speed of sound. Didn't miss the Junior MBs at all... In fact, it was better without them.

As for results...
Spoiler:
Unlike a lot of the tv/movie myths I've seen them tackle, these all were either plausible or confirmed.

They used paintballs in place of poison darts for the gauntlet. The one thing that played in their favor was that they judged from the movie that there was a 1 second delay between stepping on the sensor and the "dart" firing. Due to this, Adam not only made it through, but wasn't even close to being hit. They changed it up and did a run with instant firing. Adam took one hit in the back during that run.

The one that surprised me the most was swinging across the chasm with the whip... never would have guessed that they could get the whip to wrap around the "branch" in such a way that it could support a person's weight throughout the swing. There were a lot of close calls, but then they wrapped the beam with a substance kind of like tree bark and it worked.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

So Z Nation is pretty terrible.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

I can't tell if the Blacklist is good or not. Seems like a more polished version of any generic crime drama out there.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Idoit40fans wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Maggie Gyllenhaal won a Golden Globe for it
for acting?
Yes. Curious as to what native UKers think about her accent in the miniseries.
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by GSdrums87 »

Froggy wrote:I think Gaffigan is awful. Right now, I'm all about John Mulaney, Kyle Kinane, & Mike Birbiglia, and then there's a huuuuuge drop off from there
You sound just like me lol Gaffigan had some good stuff on Beyond the Pale and then I dunno what happened.

Kyle Kinane is a great dude, bought me a beer for driving from Harrisburg to Cleveland to see em. I worry Mulaney won't be able to sustain the level he goes at and manages to lose his touch. If you've never given Patton Oswalt a listen though, he deserves it. And Tom Segura.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

I think Gaffigan is hysterical. He's probably my favorite comedian right now. I wish he would come out with some new stuff.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

Bert Kriescher is at the top of my list right now...as for all time, I think I'd have to go with Lewis Black
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Probably hard to find time to write when you have enough kids to ice a hockey team.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

columbia wrote:Possible return of The X-Files?

http://io9.com/fox-wants-to-bring-back- ... socialflow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm not sure what to think about this. I loved the X-Files when it first started, but eventually realized that the mythology/conspiracy stuff wasn't going anywhere and didn't watch the last couple seasons. It might be interested if they ditched the government/alien conspiracy thing and found some new angle. I'm not really sure what that would be, though. The X-Files paved the way for shows like Fringe and Supernatural (and probably others I'm forgetting) that took the paranormal investigator theme in different directions, so it seems like it would be hard for the X-Files to come back with a new angle that felt fresh and different.

And I thought Carter's Amazon pilot was pretty bad. Maybe it was just the acting and dialogue that was off-putting, and the central idea could have been cool if elaborated, but I'm not sure Carter has anything left in the tank creatively at this point (Amazon ultimately declining to pick up the series might be further evidence of this).
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

I always preferred the stand-alone episodes of the X Files to the alien/conspiracy ones. I know I'm in the minority in that feeling though.