TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: TV Shows

Post by count2infinity »

shafnutz05 wrote:Finished S2 of House of Cards
Spoiler:
I pretty much predicted from the start of the season that he would be president by Season 3, and here we are. I enjoyed the storylines, etc, but my one gripe with the show was that his victory was seriously never in doubt. Even when they tried to plant seeds of a possible downfall, you knew full well the Underwoods would find a way to bury someone else.

I'm hoping (and assuming) that Season 3 is going to start to bring some of that long-awaited and anticipated heat, probably involving Rachel Posner, the death of his chief of staff, and that hacker.
Spoiler:
did you see the preview for season 3 yet? if not, go youtube it. It looks like they're in for a world of hurt this season.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I don't like watching season previews. Gives away too much
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

I'm excited for S3 of house of cards. Last season felt a lot more unbelievable, but they ramped up the crazy. I think I'm OK with it going full crazy even if it sacrifices the quality of a good drama.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

So what you're saying is it's okay to go full SOA?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

I think season three is going to be disappointing for me as one who is rooting for Frank Underwood. When he pushed Zooey into the train and when Lucas' friends turned on him I was happy.
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by GSdrums87 »

shmenguin wrote:
GSdrums87 wrote:
MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:Aziz Ansari isn't funny
Agreed x1000. Him and Kevin Hart. Just don't like it.
style over substance. there's a reason why they'll be comedy footnotes in 5 years
I'm just a bit of a stand-up snob :lol: I'm not saying dudes can't be funny in shows or TV just because their stand-up sucks. I just don't find their stand-up funny.
Nuge
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Nuge »

shafnutz05 wrote:I don't like watching season previews. Gives away too much
I thought the season 3 preview did a good job of giving an overview without really giving away anything.
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Tomas »

GSdrums87 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
GSdrums87 wrote:
MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:Aziz Ansari isn't funny
Agreed x1000. Him and Kevin Hart. Just don't like it.
style over substance. there's a reason why they'll be comedy footnotes in 5 years
I'm just a bit of a stand-up snob :lol: I'm not saying dudes can't be funny in shows or TV just because their stand-up sucks. I just don't find their stand-up funny.
Funny - I have exactly the opposite opinion. I am not a big fan of Ansari, the Actor, but I really, really like Ansari, the Comedian. Personally, I don't like the stand-up acts based on one-liners (like, say, Mitch Hedberg), funny voices, made-up situations, but I do like people who create their acts like one-person plays, and try to make some real points. Especially in recent years (Buried Alive, Dangerously Delicious), I think Ansari became a very good story teller and his observation humor is something that I like (I'd like him to move away from stories about R Kelly, Kanye West, etc., though). Among my truly favorite comedians (Louis CK, Christopher Titus, Chris Rock, Mike Birbiglia, and Ansari), he is the only that I would consider not the part of "my generation."
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

he and Kevin Hart are too loud. I don't mind high energy guys but their routine seems to be "IM YELLING ISNT THAT FUNNY HAHAHAHA"

also, Tomas I guess we're going to disagree about comedians because I love Hedberg and the funny voices guys (Brian Regan and Gaffigan).

Though, I also love Louis CK so there's that.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

lol. You think AA is loud but like Regan? Woof.
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Tomas »

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:he and Kevin Hart are too loud. I don't mind high energy guys but their routine seems to be "IM YELLING ISNT THAT FUNNY HAHAHAHA"

also, Tomas I guess we're going to disagree about comedians because I love Hedberg and the funny voices guys (Brian Regan and Gaffigan).

Though, I also love Louis CK so there's that.
I get the comment about yelling, but I also think that his last 2 specials are less about (style) RAAAAANDY and more about (substance) the guy entering his 30s, and how he copes with people around him living mature lives....
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

I think Gaffigan is awful. Right now, I'm all about John Mulaney, Kyle Kinane, & Mike Birbiglia, and then there's a huuuuuge drop off from there
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Gaffigan is buzzfeed incarnate. In that he's not funny but is liked by moms in their 30s.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Mulaney is my favorite right now, followed by Jim Jefferies and Bill Burr. You can't really compare them to people like Louis CK who is in my opinion the best Comedian of this generation.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Burr is probably better than ck is now.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

Yeah, if we're talking entire bodies of work, then Louis CK is probably at the top of my list. Right now however, not so much.

I really think Kyle Kinane is the best stand-up currently working right now
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I like Gaffigan. His last special is the only thing I've purchased on Amazon Prime. My wife asked me to. Gotta support pasty white guys like me.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

CK is probably the best of this generation. I think just by the number of times his jokes are posted on macros or YouTube videos he gets that title.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Apparently guys like Ari Shaffir, Duncan Tressel, and Joey Diaz are pretty darn good and are up and coming. I haven't heard much of their acts but I have heard them on podcasts and they're pretty funny.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Haven't heard of Duncan Tressel, but the other 2 are pretty bad. Really bad in Diaz's case.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

shmenguin wrote:Haven't heard of Duncan Tressel, but the other 2 are pretty bad. Really bad in Diaz's case.
Bad how?
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Ari Shaffir just isn't funny. Joey Diaz is actively terrible. Like he should never be put in a position to speak to other people.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

shmenguin wrote:Ari Shaffir just isn't funny. Joey Diaz is actively terrible. Like he should never be put in a position to speak to other people.
Heh alright then.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I like Hannibal Buress. Hope he finds a good vehicle to showcase himself at the next level.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Possible return of The X-Files?

http://io9.com/fox-wants-to-bring-back- ... socialflow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;