Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

NCAA Chair Admits to Not Reading Freeh Report Prior to Sanctioning Penn State

http://onwardstate.com/2015/01/15/ncaa- ... enn-state/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:NCAA Chair Admits to Not Reading Freeh Report Prior to Sanctioning Penn State

http://onwardstate.com/2015/01/15/ncaa- ... enn-state/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

In all seriousness, this is a guy who was very outspoken about this, saying Penn State had a "conspiracy of silence" for years. Homie never even read the damn report. This is ludicrous and gross incompetence of the highest degree.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

A USA Today Sports investigation finds Mark Emmert didn't have support to impose death penalty on PSU

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/co ... /21826697/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

"@OnwardState: Per a release: Sen. @JakeCorman will hold a press conference at 1 p.m. to "announce a significant development regarding the NCAA sanctions.""

Settlement?
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I'm reading Joe's 111 wins got returned. He's back at 409, officially. Meh.

edit: here's an article... http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... d-restored" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lolol, those comments though.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Listening now. Consent degree is repealed. All remaining sanctions including probation are repealed. The $60M fine will remain in PA.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Corman praising culture at PSU. Saying no NCAA infractions occurred in it's history. Saying allegations against Paterno are not based in fact. Says due process was not afforded in this case. NCAA has surrendered.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Agreement to be voted on by both NCAA Executive board and PSU Board of Trustees.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

PSU should have went for the throat rather than settling, but oh well. Looks like this one is in the books.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

Will the statue be brought back out?
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Factorial wrote:Will the statue be brought back out?
That wasn't part of the consent decree so that remains to be seen. It will be up to the PSU BoT.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

Any chance the BoT rejects this agreement? If so, I would expect to see the populace riot again.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

count2infinity wrote:PSU should have went for the throat rather than settling, but oh well. Looks like this one is in the books.
You mean the money? That fine was a far greater penalty than anything being reversed here.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

count2infinity wrote:PSU should have went for the throat rather than settling, but oh well. Looks like this one is in the books.
I agree. I believe this settlement was brought because the horrible management by the PSU BoT played a part in the sanctions being brought and because of that the NCAA had a chance of winning any decision over the consent decree, but the longer the trial went on it would make the NCAA and the PSU BoT look very, very bad.

The Paterno's case against the NCAA is still not yet settled, although I'm not sure if this decision will affect that case, if at all.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Factorial wrote:
You mean the money? That fine was a far greater penalty than anything being reversed here.
I just mean for all of it. Get it all back. PSU would have been bowl eligible those season that the sanctions were in place, get the money that would have been awarded to PSU from the NCAA, and then donate all of it to charity. I imagine as they walked out of the meeting where the settlement occurred, this was the NCAA's reaction:
Spoiler:
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Factorial wrote:Any chance the BoT rejects this agreement? If so, I would expect to see the populace riot again.
I understand that you don't follow this closely, but the alumni elected trustees were not interested in settling this case. They have been more interested in finding as much as possible about how much the NCAA influenced the Freeh report. Per Corman the case came to an end because the NCAA has repealed the consent decree which would render any argument in court to be moot.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

:scared:
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

btw, not only what I posted above, I'd love to see what sort of shady happenings went on in the NCAA with the Miami, OSU, USC, etc sanctions.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PSU Board just unanimously approved the resolution to accept the settlement.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Bioshock »

count2infinity wrote:
Factorial wrote:
I just mean for all of it. Get it all back. PSU would have been bowl eligible those season that the sanctions were in place, get the money that would have been awarded to PSU from the NCAA, and then donate all of it to charity. I imagine as they walked out of the meeting where the settlement occurred, this was the NCAA's reaction:
Spoiler:
Pretty sure all of the 60 million went to children abuse charities anyways.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I know, but I wouldn't mind seeing the NCAA being forced to fork over some dough to charity as well.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Paterno Family Statement

http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-p ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Today is a great victory for everyone who has fought for the truth in the Sandusky tragedy. The repeal of the consent decree and the return of the wins to the University and Joe Paterno confirm that the NCAA and the Board of Trustees acted prematurely and irresponsibly in the unprecedented sanctions the NCAA imposed on the University, the players, coaches and the community.

This case should always have been about the pursuit of the truth, not the unjust vilification of the culture of a great institution and the scapegoating of coaches, players and administrators who were never given a chance to defend themselves.

For nearly three years, everyone associated with Penn State has had to bear the mark of shame placed upon the institution by the NCAA. It was a grievously wrong action, precipitated by panic, rather than a thoughtful and careful examination of the facts.

Fortunately, through the tenacious efforts of Senator Jake Corman and Treasurer Rob McCord, a large measure of the wrong has been righted. This is a major victory in our continued pursuit of justice for Penn State. The victims deserve the truth as do those who have been smeared by the deeply flawed Freeh report, which served as the basis of the actions by the Board Trustees and Penn State.

Through our pending litigation, we intend to continue the job of uncovering the full truth in this case.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Bioshock »

Jay Paterno is so gross.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Without an apology from the NCAA and an overt admission of wrong, this feels like just a moral victory. Which by their nature are very hollow.