Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by shmenguin »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:If someone is emailing you after normal business hours do they really anticipating a response? As mentioned before, I do it so I don't forget. I have no expectation that it gets returned. If something is urgent, I will call you and really ruin your dinner
i get late e-mails that require responses all the time, but those don't bother me. that's part of the job.

it's when i finally feel disconnected from the office, i'm relaxing, and some turkey sends me something that doesn't need discussed until the next day. i don't respond, but it's enough to take me out of the vibe i was going for.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

People that check their work e-mail from home are their own IPP. ;)
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Factorial wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:Mandatory computer restarts during work hours (I know this is blatant shmenguin bait :lol: )
no, i don't care if people put off windows updates. it doesn't affect my company one iota. i always postpone them.
How about Windows servers set to restart after updates? I've seen that before. It's bad enough that Windows servers are being used but :face:
we use windows servers because they can be managed by laymen (like yours truly) without any real expertise required. i set our redundant web servers to reboot automatically, but i have to manually pull the trigger on our database servers.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

dodint wrote:People that check their work e-mail from home are their own IPP. ;)
do you guys not have to check your mail at night? heh. i thought that was pretty standard these days. i'd prefer not to, but i'm "on call" 24/7/365
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

UNIX servers are awesome but I'd by lying if I said I could go very far off script. I'll probably get worse since I don't have to at all anymore. Even if I stood up a Solaris 10 box again I don't have anything worth doing with it. We've talked about it before, but I like 2012 R2 if you don't factor in the licensing confusion.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I check mine because my boss (grad school is a little different) will e-mail me and ask for data, figures, etc at all times of the day and night. When I graduate though, you can be damn sure I'm checking out when I leave work, and not checking back in until I get back in the morning.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

shmenguin wrote:
dodint wrote:People that check their work e-mail from home are their own IPP. ;)
do you guys not have to check your mail at night? heh. i thought that was pretty standard these days. i'd prefer not to, but i'm "on call" 24/7/365
Not me. I'm just a 'lowly' tech for now. This is only my second real IT job. The supervisor types have Blackberrys. Poor bastards.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

I can see if you are on call, but I made it a policy not to check my email after I am done working for the day. If it is an emergency, my boss and coworkers have my cell phone number and can reach me that way.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

when I leave work I am done with anything work-related until I get to work the next day. If you want to contact me outside of work, **** you.

I also read that people that do work things outside of work like checking emails and whatnot are generally less happy because it's added stress so I try to keep work at work. Of course when we do a release that means I'm on my work laptop for a few hours on Saturday but otherwise it's not my problem.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:I can see if you are on call, but I made it a policy not to check my email after I am done working for the day. If it is an emergency, my boss and coworkers have my cell phone number and can reach me that way.
:thumb:
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

dodint wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
Not me. I'm just a 'lowly' tech for now. This is only my second real IT job. The supervisor types have Blackberrys. Poor bastards.
but you aspire to become one of those poor bastards, right?
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Yes. :(

In the military, there is a saying. "Lance Corporal don't know." Which is akin to "Ignorance is bliss."

Right now, "GS-9 don't know."

;)
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

If you're on call then getting emails, any emails, at any time of the day is SOP. Suck it up or get another job.

:slug:
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

ICE UP, BRO.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

PensFanInDC wrote:If you're on call then getting emails, any emails, at any time of the day is SOP. Suck it up or get another job.

:slug:
yes, dealing with inconsiderate people it part of any job, i agree
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

If you are on call .. that is different. When I worked on call I expected to get emails/calls at any time.

Now that I don't do on call work.. when I leave the office, I am totally disconnected from work until the next day.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

skullman80 wrote:If you are on call .. that is different. When I worked on call I expected to get emails/calls at any time.

Now that I don't do on call work.. when I leave the office, I am totally disconnected from work until the next day.
i think you're missing the point. if you're on call, you expect to get legitimate e-mails. there shouldn't be, "oh sometime next week i want to talk about this and that" sprinkled in. the amount of times you have to go into your phone to check e-mails should be minimized.

worse is when you're trying to take a vacation, and you get the same nonsense, even though people know you're on vacation and know that you will be interrupted by a buzzing phone with the useless e-mail that they send.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

You guys should be in business. I regularly receive phone calls at 10pm or later, sometimes even in Sundays. I want to say, "You really couldn't have waited until tomorrow for this?" I think the record was a call around 2am.

I also received two business related emails on Christmas Day and a phone call New Years Day. :lol:
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Hockeynut! wrote:You guys should be in business. I regularly receive phone calls at 10pm or later, sometimes even in Sundays. I want to say, "You really couldn't have waited until tomorrow for this?" I think the record was a call around 2am.

I also received two business related emails on Christmas Day and a phone call New Years Day. :lol:
i never want to run my own business. almost everything about it seems terrible.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:I can see if you are on call, but I made it a policy not to check my email after I am done working for the day. If it is an emergency, my boss and coworkers have my cell phone number and can reach me that way.
This is the approach I have. During our busy two or 3 days a month of closing, I'll check before I go to bed to make sure everything is ok, but we have people in Europe that handle the stuff going on during the evening. It takes just a few minutes. But outside of that, usually once I go home, I'm done unless I get a text from my boss to check on something, which is very rare. And typically I know if something is coming before I leave for work.

For some people it's part of the job, but typically they are compensated for that responsibility. If you don't want that responsibility, then know the position before you take it.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:If someone is emailing you after normal business hours do they really anticipating a response? As mentioned before, I do it so I don't forget. I have no expectation that it gets returned. If something is urgent, I will call you and really ruin your dinner
Depending on your position in the company, yes.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

newarenanow wrote: For some people it's part of the job, but typically they are compensated for that responsibility. If you don't want that responsibility, then know the position before you take it.
Bingo. I could/did make more in the private side, but with gov IT I have a set working schedule with very few demands outside of that. That's pretty sweet for IT. I assessed what's important to me and smaller lifetime earnings in exchange for job security and being left alone after 4:30pm is worth it to me.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

I get e-mails pretty much every hour of the day because we have projects all over the world. I read all the messages when I see I have one and determine whether it can wait until the next work morning or not.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

shmenguin wrote:
skullman80 wrote:If you are on call .. that is different. When I worked on call I expected to get emails/calls at any time.

i think you're missing the point. if you're on call, you expect to get legitimate e-mails. there shouldn't be, "oh sometime next week i want to talk about this and that" sprinkled in. the amount of times you have to go into your phone to check e-mails should be minimized.

worse is when you're trying to take a vacation, and you get the same nonsense, even though people know you're on vacation and know that you will be interrupted by a buzzing phone with the useless e-mail that they send.
Gotcha. yeah thats annoying.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Hockeynut! wrote:You guys should be in business. I regularly receive phone calls at 10pm or later, sometimes even in Sundays. I want to say, "You really couldn't have waited until tomorrow for this?" I think the record was a call around 2am.

When I was on call at my old job I got woken out of bed plenty of times by the phone at like 2 or 3 am it sucked. we were only on call a week at a time, but it sucked working a full 40 hours week, and then to go home but never actually be "off of work".