GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by BigMcK »

Cider reviews.

2 Towns Ciderhouse - Oregon. The BrightCider, 6% abv. Everything that I wanted from a fresh apple cider. Crisp, clean and light.

2 Towns Ciderhouse - Oregon. Bad Apple, 10.5% abv. The highest abv cider that I can recall drinking. The flavor was a tad stronger than standard apple cider, but retained the sweetness throughout. The alcohol never overpowered the taste or nose.

2 Towns Ciderhouse - Oregon. Nice and Naughty, 10.5% abv. Like Bad Apple, the alcohol was well hidden behind the spices of cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg.

Crabbies - UK. Original Ginger Beer. Not a true cider. Very sweet, great amount of ginger, lowered abv. The sweet was too much to really enjoy this. I poured it over ice to try to cut the sweet, but it didn't work.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

I'm heading to the southern tier brewery this weekend to pick up some things, I see they started making a Belgian and holiday cider. Anyone ever have this before? What's a Belgian cider? I have zero experience with cider.

http://www.demunckshardcider.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Also, ST has a new variety pack out. Gemini, unearthly, 2xipa. It's heavenly for hop heads.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

BigMcK wrote:Cider reviews.

2 Towns Ciderhouse - Oregon. The BrightCider, 6% abv. Everything that I wanted from a fresh apple cider. Crisp, clean and light.

2 Towns Ciderhouse - Oregon. Bad Apple, 10.5% abv. The highest abv cider that I can recall drinking. The flavor was a tad stronger than standard apple cider, but retained the sweetness throughout. The alcohol never overpowered the taste or nose.

2 Towns Ciderhouse - Oregon. Nice and Naughty, 10.5% abv. Like Bad Apple, the alcohol was well hidden behind the spices of cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg.

Crabbies - UK. Original Ginger Beer. Not a true cider. Very sweet, great amount of ginger, lowered abv. The sweet was too much to really enjoy this. I poured it over ice to try to cut the sweet, but it didn't work.
Crabbies sucks on its own, but solid for a Moscow Mule, in a pinch
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

Blue Mountain out of Virginia has been coming out with a lot of good stuff, much in the Dogfish Head funky mode. Just had the Dark Hollow Imperial Stout tonight and it was excellent. Aged in bourbon barrels with dark chocolate and coffee. At 10%, very smooth and not boozy. Chocolate, coffee, and bourbon all present, but all subtle. Recommended, especially if you are into smooth stouts.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

That Dark Hollow is probably my favorite bourbon stout.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

eddysnake wrote:I was really bummed out by the Stone smoked choc. orange. Easily the most average beer I've had from them.
I liked it. :P
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

http://tyronetribulations.com/2014/09/2 ... -15-years/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Best New Breweries of 2014
http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/list ... -2014.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm going to have to find the Berliner Weisse from Creature Comforts.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

The wife and I are talking about doing a vacation in Maine this year. Considering staying in Portland for a night or two. Wouldn't mind hitting up that new brewery.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Man, you've got to make it to Oxbow if you do that.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

columbia wrote:Best New Breweries of 2014
http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/list ... -2014.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm going to have to find the Berliner Weisse from Creature Comforts.
Man, that Side Project dude must be a god. That stuff and Perennial are both so highly regarded. Seems like out of no where to some of the best beers in the world in the sour/saison categories.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

I was thinking about rare beers and why they're so limited. I get the barrel aged stouts. You can't get unlimited barrels, you need to let them sit for months and you can't exactly predict what you're going to end up with.

But why are certain IPAs like the Pliny's or Heady Topper produced in such limited quantities? Aren't the ingredients available year round, with no variation in the brewing process? Is it a matter of these breweries just being too small, or are there specialty hops or whatever that are hard to come by or need to be used fresh or something?

Seems like Russian River is big enough to support a wider release. My guess is that the mystery and the rarity add to the perceived value of the beer and making it available would just lump their stuff in with all the other DIPAs out there.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

I think it's largely brewery size on that sort of stuff, at least I know that's the big thing with Russian River. Russian River has such a diverse product line that I think their capacity--if they keep making everything they're making--is pretty limited.

Your original comment is applicable to the very limited sours as well, only with more unpredictability, I'd wager. You seem to like the chase for the rare stuff. I do too. You need to get into sours.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

shmenguin wrote:I was thinking about rare beers and why they're so limited. I get the barrel aged stouts. You can't get unlimited barrels, you need to let them sit for months and you can't exactly predict what you're going to end up with.

But why are certain IPAs like the Pliny's or Heady Topper produced in such limited quantities? Aren't the ingredients available year round, with no variation in the brewing process? Is it a matter of these breweries just being too small, or are there specialty hops or whatever that are hard to come by or need to be used fresh or something?

Seems like Russian River is big enough to support a wider release. My guess is that the mystery and the rarity add to the perceived value of the beer and making it available would just lump their stuff in with all the other DIPAs out there.
For Russian River, it's definitely the size of their facility. I believe BigMcK told me it's basically located in a small mall. I've read articles talking about how they need to expand to distribute more, but are perfectly happy with what they are doing. I believe Firestone Walker is brewing some Pliny this year while they swap out some old equipment.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I sort of wonder why they don't try to work a deal out with someone on the east coast to brew the beer and use the name... little to no work from them, just collect royalty sort of thing. I'm sure large breweries out this way would jump at the chance to brew "Russian River's Pliney the Elder presented by *insert brewery here*"
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Kraftster wrote:I think it's largely brewery size on that sort of stuff, at least I know that's the big thing with Russian River. Russian River has such a diverse product line that I think their capacity--if they keep making everything they're making--is pretty limited.

Your original comment is applicable to the very limited sours as well, only with more unpredictability, I'd wager. You seem to like the chase for the rare stuff. I do too. You need to get into sours.

RR has the market share to expand. I think they know that Pliny will drop in every top beer list if they do. And they won't be able to sell everything else for a dollar an ounce either.

Yeah, the rare stuff is fun. I only have one drink a week on average so there's no need for me to chase anything else. Sours are interesting, but I don't know if it will match my tastes. I'm in dessert beer mode only these days. Dark Belgians and stouts.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

count2infinity wrote:I sort of wonder why they don't try to work a deal out with someone on the east coast to brew the beer and use the name... little to no work from them, just collect royalty sort of thing. I'm sure large breweries out this way would jump at the chance to brew "Russian River's Pliney the Elder presented by *insert brewery here*"
Why not just bottle Bud and slap a Pliny label on it?

Its a luxury item occupying the top 1% of beers. Diluting the brand like that would be business suicide.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

That's obviously not what I'm saying at all, but okay.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

That's EXACTLY what you were trying to say.

Seriously though, part of the allure of the beer is its exclusivity. IMO, doing that kind of royalty arrangement would negatively impact it both from a brand perspective and has who knows what impact on the actual brewing/product/taste.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

I imagine there's some expertise involved too.

I was also thinking that I should open an Alinea's Pittsburgh....nbd right, I could make that food.
Last edited by Troy Loney on Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

What amount of money are they making off of beer fans on the East Coast that have zero opportunity to get their hands on the stuff? My guess is somewhere around zero dollars, give or take. I'm talking about a partnership with a similar brewery on the east coast, provide them with the knowledge on how to make exactly what they make on the West Coast to provide a market for them over here. I, for one, consider myself to be a very avid beer drinker and have only tasted pliney twice in my life. I would be willing to bet that many on the East Coast would have similar or lesser numbers. How would they lose money by having a partnership with a brewery making their exact product for those on the East Coast? They're not going to lose their exclusivity where their current market is located, they would simply expand to a new market. I'm by no means an economic mastermind, but the idea of opening into a new market on the entire other side of the country will somehow harm their market on the West Coast seems far fetched to me.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

I am willing to bet that the limited availability of the beer is, at least partially, a strategic business decision. Why doesn't Goose Island brew more BCBS? Its an extremely fine line that luxury goods have in balancing profits, reach, and brand dilution.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

I think a good example of a potential risk can be seen with Southern Tier. The brand had a ton more prestige and demand until they ramped up production.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

slappybrown wrote:I am willing to bet that the limited availability of the beer is, at least partially, a strategic business decision. Why doesn't Goose Island brew more BCBS? Its an extremely fine line that luxury goods have in balancing profits, reach, and brand dilution.
But BCBS isn't their flagship beer, couple that with the fact that there's a lot more involved in making BCBS than making an IPA. You only have so much room for barrels, and there's an aging process involved. IPAs are best when they are drank (drunk? drunken?) fresh. They aren't similar processes at all.