Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by slappybrown »

PensFanInDC wrote:
shmenguin wrote:i'll probably get around what i paid for my house.

the only problem is that we've spent $50-60 grand in improvements since we bought it. it's going to be a painful experience whenever we decide to sell.
We're making money on ours. It paid to buy new.
Wait, so you sold your house? Where did you wind up buying in PGH?
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

44windmill wrote:It's funny how the market in Pittsburgh is divided. Selling your house in Upper St. Clair, Aspinwall, North Huntingdon? No problem. White Oak, Dormont, Turtle Creek? Good luck! We usually get really good feedback from the few showings, and from the multiple realtors we interviewed. We've already dropped the price 3 times. It's now below what I bought it for in 2005.

We did look into firing our realtor. I wanted to find a top notch realtor in the area, so we brought a guy in who was top 5 in the area. Thinking our realtor's issues were with marketing, I grilled the guy on how he would market our house differently. He basically told me they hardly do anything to market the house. 95% of houses, he says, are sold by people looking online. I guess the realtors have their worth in all the contract paperwork. Seems like a crock to me. But I sure as heck am not going to do the paperwork myself, so I guess they are worth something.
I know when my wife and I were looking there were some very nice houses in White Oak but it was McKeesport school district. School district seems to dictate if people want to buy.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

slappybrown wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:
shmenguin wrote:i'll probably get around what i paid for my house.

the only problem is that we've spent $50-60 grand in improvements since we bought it. it's going to be a painful experience whenever we decide to sell.
We're making money on ours. It paid to buy new.
Wait, so you sold your house? Where did you wind up buying in PGH?
No...didn't sell yet. It's not even on the market until next week. If my house doesn't sell for within 5-10K of asking price within 2 months then the market is in SERIOUS trouble. The longest a home in neighborhood was on the market before contract was 62 days and that home was overpriced. It went under contract 4 days after reducing the price to something reasonable. An identical home to mine, with no upgrades, was under contract for asking price in 6 days back in October.

Nobody can predict the future but all signs point to a quick sale. We've spent the last 2 weeks getting it ready to show and the home looks amazing. Nothing in the home is older than 3 years.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

Yea, sounds like your house will be sold imediately.

So if you sell are you just getting an apt in PGH while you hunt?
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

44windmill wrote:It's funny how the market in Pittsburgh is divided. Selling your house in Upper St. Clair, Aspinwall, North Huntingdon? No problem. White Oak, Dormont, Turtle Creek? Good luck! We usually get really good feedback from the few showings, and from the multiple realtors we interviewed. We've already dropped the price 3 times. It's now below what I bought it for in 2005.

We did look into firing our realtor. I wanted to find a top notch realtor in the area, so we brought a guy in who was top 5 in the area. Thinking our realtor's issues were with marketing, I grilled the guy on how he would market our house differently. He basically told me they hardly do anything to market the house. 95% of houses, he says, are sold by people looking online. I guess the realtors have their worth in all the contract paperwork. Seems like a crock to me. But I sure as heck am not going to do the paperwork myself, so I guess they are worth something.
My MIL's house is in Irwin/North Huntingdon. It's pretty up to date too. Just had a new roof recently, she had the whole interior of the house re-painted, put down new carpet in most of the rooms. New AC/Furnace within the last 10 years. She listed for comparable of other houses in her area, but no offers. Only drawbacks I can see is the driveway is a pretty big slope which is a pain in the winter and the backyard is really big... so if an older person moves in they might have a hard time maintaining it. Those are honestly the main reasons she is looking to move out. She is looking to downsize.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

My house was on the market for three summers. I offered $3K below asking and they accepted that day. It's a nice house but the split level with the bedrooms being downstairs seems to throw people. If we can't sell it in a few years we plan to turn it over to a property management agency and let them rent it out. There were literally zero places to rent in this town that allowed dogs and have a fence, so we plan to fill that niche. Already put in a nice secure fence.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Pens game in Columbus in April is Easter weekend, total bummer for traveling out there this spring
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

I was going to come in here and yap about people that don't wipe the snow off of their cars and therefore drive around with the back window completely covered, the side windows covered and just the area that the wipers cover "cleared" on their windshield. Then I got closer to work and saw something more annoying. I saw 3 cyclists on my commute in today. ... Cars are sliding around because there is a layer of ice in many areas, and the MORONS are out and about. If only bicycle seats made you sterile so that there would not be any moron jrs running around as well...
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

Jim wrote:I was going to come in here and yap about people that don't wipe the snow off of their cars and therefore drive around with the back window completely covered, the side windows covered and just the area that the wipers cover "cleared" on their windshield. Then I got closer to work and saw something more annoying. I saw 3 cyclists on my commute in today. ... Cars are sliding around because there is a layer of ice in many areas, and the MORONS are out and about. If only bicycle seats made you sterile so that there would not be any moron jrs running around as well...
There's nothing irrational about this
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

On my road trip last weekend I saw a pickup truck swerving around up ahead. Cool, someone's texting and driving 70mph. I get beside him and look over, and yes - he's texting...WITH BOTH F***ING HANDS! Seriously dude, go run off the road and break both legs. And your thumbs.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

eddysnake wrote:Pens game in Columbus in April is Easter weekend, total bummer for traveling out there this spring
That actually makes it more appealing to me.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Idoit40fans wrote:
eddysnake wrote:Pens game in Columbus in April is Easter weekend, total bummer for traveling out there this spring
That actually makes it more appealing to me.
less idiots? I know we had plans to go out and watch the game at a bar and just make a day/night out of it, but now we will just be doing that some random weekend. Columbus is a cool city.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Reason to be out of town during a family event.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

I hate the phrase "color me _____". I can't really tell you why, because it's irrational

yes, this is in direct reference to PFiDC's post in the INTODD thread.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I blue myself.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Flexible
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Having to pay for stuff you break. I dropped an elliptical onto the motor cover of my treadmill. $89.21 to replace it. Boo. Wonder what my renters insurance deductible is.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

PghSkins wrote:"<sport> is better when <team> is good."

Yeah, if you are a bandwagon fan from back when that team was good. Otherwise, screw them.
There are some sports where that's legitimately the case. Formula One, for example, always gains TV viewers and fans (and with them, increased cash flow to the other teams) when Ferrari is winning. And the sport's overlords recognize that and pay Ferrari an annual honorarium to keep them motivated to stay in F1.

Of course, when they had a period of extended domination (five consecutive drivers championships and six consecutive constructors championships) those numbers started to wane dramatically.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

44windmill wrote:95% of houses, he says, are sold by people looking online. I guess the realtors have their worth in all the contract paperwork. Seems like a crock to me. But I sure as heck am not going to do the paperwork myself, so I guess they are worth something.
That sounds totally believable.

There is no way in great green Hades I'd ever go into a home purchase without the guidance of a Realtor. Our guy's great; thirty years in the L.A. market (mostly in the South Bay), actually got us the first house we bought through a connection in his office (REO that was not listed on the MLS), trekked into the San Fernando Valley from Redondo Beach (~30 miles outside of his stomping grounds) to rep the purchase of our current house, and really did some yeoman's work steering us away from a couple of potential problem properties early in our search when he could have just as easily said, "Right, my job's done". It had to have been a hassle coming up to the SFV every weekend. So it was a little eye opening when we learned during the home inspection/walkthrough on the current house that he's a raving conspiracy theorist stockpiler whackjob that believed Hillary Clinton was going to sign a treaty with the UN to take our guns.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

KDKA news this morning everyone was blue, even commercials. Apparently their RGB scale was way off.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Mango Salsa »

The over the top bacon love fest. Seriously, its not that great, and it stopped being funny a long time ago
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Liking bacon was funny? News to me.

What is funny is that last night I was reading this thread and had a feeling someone was going to post something anti-bacon. You did not disappoint.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I drew the line somewhere around bacon flavored toothpaste.
44windmill
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by 44windmill »

PensFanInDC wrote:Liking bacon was funny? News to me.

What is funny is that last night I was reading this thread and had a feeling someone was going to post something anti-bacon. You did not disappoint.
I know I'm speaking for Mango here, but it was to the point where people's obsession with bacon was bringing it to ludicrious levels. It had gone plaid. Jim Gaffigan does a bit on bacon in one of his comedy routines.

I like bacon, don't get me wrong, but it's not all that it's cracked up to be.