Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

i think youre wrong
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

I found it weird that something so popular could have a - seemingly - cult following...

It's good and all, but I don't get all flush over it...
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Sausage is better anyway
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Pattys or link?

I'm a patty man, usually.
44windmill
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by 44windmill »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:i think youre wrong
that's irrational - wait...
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

The bacon craze is weird. I dont understand where it came from. Seems like louie was ahead of the wave with a bit in one of his specials from a while ago but i dont know.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

I hate bacon. Carry on.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

dodint wrote:Pattys or link?

I'm a patty man, usually.
Spoiler:
I'm a patty man also.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I'm a link guy, myself.
44windmill
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by 44windmill »

There's this jackwagon that parks his SUV with it still running across the street up a couple houses from me. I assume his kid lives there but he doesn't, so he's there picking him up on his alotted days. Normally, it's dark (morning and/or evening), and he leaves the car running the entire time he's in the process of picking up said kid. Either he turns on his brights or his headlights are the very bright variety. Anyway, it is absolutely blinding to the point I am seriously guessing where the road is.

One day, I'm coming home and this doofus is at it again. The house is at the corner of a four way intersection, but the street I live on is a dead end and the perpendicular road leads to other dead ends. So not much traffic. I stop at the sign, roll through the intersection and between his car and another parked on the other side of the street. I swear the guy is waiting for me to drive by, opens his door 20 feet before I get there and gives me a look as if I was trying to run him over. My wife is in the passenger seat and I tell her I wish I would have run the doosh over. She thought I was being irrational, but dude is always blinding people with his lights on. I had no idea he was in the car due to blinding lights. Now he's po'd because he nearly got his head and car door ripped off? Ah, no.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Bacon is great. The over saturation, not so much.

Also definitely patties for sausage.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

not sure why but patties are clearly superior
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

if you are buying typical bob evans sausage - patties. if you are getting some serious sausage action from a purveyor of delicious meats, links all day
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

it's all about the casing. if the casing is good, it only amplifies the awesomeness of a sausage.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:if you are getting some serious sausage action from a purveyor of delicious meats

wait.... what have you heard?
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Perhaps this could be cross-posted to the Facebook thread, but I'll put it here. I am sick and tired of the "fat movement" in America, mainly perpetrated by women, usually faux feminists. Being fat is no longer unhealthy. Being fat is now a badge of honor that somehow empowers you, because you refuse to conform to standards of what is (scientifically proven to be) "healthy".

There is a picture of this fat girl in her undergarments that is being liked all over Facebook, and everyone is talking about how brave she is because she posted this photo on Tumblr (of course), and went on a long rant about how it's HER body and if you don't like it, you can go to hell! I have even read stuff scolding doctors for "fat shaming" their patients. Really? Here is a short excerpt:
WARNING: Picture might be considered obscene because subject is not thin. And we all know that only skinny people can show their stomachs and celebrate themselves. Well I’m not going to stand for that. This is my body. Not yours. MINE. Meaning the choices I make about it, are none of your **** business. Meaning my size, IS NONE OF YOUR **** BUSINESS.

If my big belly and fat arms and stretch marks and thick thighs offend you, then that’s okay. I’m not going to hide my body and my being to benefit your delicate sensitivities.
It's now "brave" to be an overweight slob. I know there is a small percentage of the population with legitimate thyroid issues, etc. But people promoting that lifestyle should be shunned, not applauded.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

check your thin privilege shafnutz

but I agree, it's getting out of hand and I was worried about this a few years ago.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

shafnutz05 wrote:
This is my body. Not yours. MINE. Meaning the choices I make about it, are none of your **** business. Meaning my size, IS NONE OF YOUR **** BUSINESS.
this is a funny thing to say in a public post on facebook that she wanted to go viral.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I mean, if you are overweight fine, it happens. I was noticeably overweight four years ago or so (the post-wedding "let it go" phase), and I finally got disgusted with myself and changed it. I don't hate anyone for being overweight, I hate fat women for glorifying it. What a horrible, awful message to send to children. Bullying isn't cool, but neither is "fat acceptance".
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

shafnutz05 wrote:It's now "brave" to be an overweight slob. I know there is a small percentage of the population with legitimate thyroid issues, etc. But people promoting that lifestyle should be shunned, not applauded.
Not to cause a tiff, but why do you care so much? Why is it your mission to shun fatties, shaf? Let them be fat. What does it matter to you? I don't understand the need to be involved in the personal lives of others. When I see a smoker, I don't scream at them and tell it's unhealthy. When I see a guy with a chew in his cheek the size of a golf ball, I don't feel any need to point out that he's increasing his cancer risk. When I see hot twenty year old with a deep tan, I don't say, "You know, you're promoting an unhealthy lifestyle. Skin cancer is one of the deadliest forms of cancer around."

If people want to eff up their lives, let them.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Hockeynut! wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:It's now "brave" to be an overweight slob. I know there is a small percentage of the population with legitimate thyroid issues, etc. But people promoting that lifestyle should be shunned, not applauded.
Not to cause a tiff, but why do you care so much? Why is it your mission to shun fatties, shaf? Let them be fat. What does it matter to you? I don't understand the need to be involved in the personal lives of others. When I see a smoker, I don't scream at them and tell it's unhealthy. When I see a guy with a chew in his cheek the size of a golf ball, I don't feel any need to point out that he's increasing his cancer risk. When I see hot twenty year old with a deep tan, I don't say, "You know, you're promoting an unhealthy lifestyle. Skin cancer is one of the deadliest forms of cancer around."

If people want to eff up their lives, let them.
shaf isn't going into people's houses and knocking their food on the ground. He's commenting on the fact that these pictures are being shared virally on the internet.

Imagine if there was a campaign of people being proud of smoking and saying it's ok to smoke. That would be terrible.

it's not that the people ARE fat, it's that they're flaunting it as if it's some sort of badge of honor.
Last edited by MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I think it's more the "unhealthy and proud" aspect rather than the, "do what you want" aspect.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

No tiff caused at all :) I don't know too many smokers that are advocating smoking as a lifestyle to others through blogs, facebook posts, etc. Same with dippers, tanners, etc. There is a very vocal and growing movement in America that one can be "healthily overweight". It's like either you are a Size 0 model, or you are "curvy", and there is no middle ground.

In that same vein, I don't know too many people that label smokers, dippers, etc "brave" for their lifestyle choices. Instead, the adjective would typically be "weak", "lack of willpower", etc, despite the fact it's a physical and mental addiction much like overeating.

Just sends a bad message, IMO, and discourages people from bettering themselves. I've made my own poor lifestyle choices in the past, and I would never present myself as a role model to others for those decisions.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

it's now understood that smoking is objectively bad. usage rates in teens are dropping at a pleasing rate. obesity is seeing the opposite trajectory. not only does it affect people on a personal level, it's also (i believe) the most expensive health issue in america. it's not ok to be obese, any way you slice it. kids need to know this. not have influential sources tell them otherwise.

...and if someone put something on facebook with a cigarette hanging out of their mouth saying that it's ok and shut yer yap about it, it would get an even worse reaction.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Was this fatty fat or obese? I think there is a big difference between.