RIP Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: RIP Thread

Post by mikey287 »

Kraftster wrote:Man, that's sad news. I really find ESPN hard to take these days, but I have so many awesome memories of Sportscenter as a kid, when it was really in its heyday. In thinking back, I almost wonder if what I began to dislike about ESPN was how contrived the humor and wit seemed to become. In a way, I think it sort of felt like all these younger guys were trying to be Stuart Scott, Dan Patrick, Rich Eisen, Keith Olbermann. Maybe it was just because I was a kid, but I would watch those heyday Sportscenters over and over every morning in the summer.
Exactly this, every word.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Yep summer mornings would basically be watching espn till i knew every single segment of the hour. Thats kind of pathetic really. I cant even watch it now.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Wow...thats a hell of a thing to wake up to. Rip Stu...
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Kraftster wrote:Man, that's sad news. I really find ESPN hard to take these days, but I have so many awesome memories of Sportscenter as a kid, when it was really in its heyday. In thinking back, I almost wonder if what I began to dislike about ESPN was how contrived the humor and wit seemed to become. In a way, I think it sort of felt like all these younger guys were trying to be Stuart Scott, Dan Patrick, Rich Eisen, Keith Olbermann. Maybe it was just because I was a kid, but I would watch those heyday Sportscenters over and over every morning in the summer.

Yep.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

Yep, Patrick and Olbermann were tremendous. This was before Olbermann was exposed as a complete tool.

Don't forget Kenny Mayne. Loved that guy.

RIP Stu. Cancer sucks.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

Yeah, for me it was just about every anchor after Kilborn was untakeable. SC found a unique formula for sports news broadcasting and was always looking for that Johnny Bravo to fit the jacket. They mostly seemed so manufactured, clumsy. Haven't watched SC for more than 2 seconds in several years.

Scott/Eisen was magic for me.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I may be in the minority, but I like Neil and Stan in the morning while I'm having my cup of coffee. Still nothing like Scott and anyone that's with him, but I still enjoy them.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

This was rough to watch

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-g ... ideo_eisen" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

canaan wrote:This was rough to watch

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-g ... ideo_eisen" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And pretty amazing. He kept it together much more than I thought he would.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Grunthy »

Amazing tribute by eisen
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

So sad to wake to this news.....

After yesterday's ARI-CAL game, they came back from commercial to Steve Levy on the sidelines and he said, "Filling in one last time for Stuart Scott." :sad:
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

I was never really a big fan of his but it sucks nonetheless. You could tell he enjoyed his job more than everyone else on ESPN
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

We didn't have cable in our house, so I've never had any attachment to Sports Center...especially given the endless NBA highlights.

RIP, however...he was entertaining in the times I did watch him.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Man the Rich Eisen tribute was heartbreaking. He kept it together almost the whole way through, you can tell they were really close.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

Courageous and gracious and always entertaining. One of my favorite sports broadcasters. RIP Stuart Scott.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

skullman80 wrote:Man the Rich Eisen tribute was heartbreaking. He kept it together almost the whole way through, you can tell they were really close.
Yeah, tough watch. They're both solid guys.

I did not click the Berman video, though.
Orlando Penguin
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Orlando Penguin »

I worked at that place for almost 5 years. I didn't have too many interactions with Stu other than to hand him a script or a shotsheet or something like that. But it didn't matter who you were -- the executive of the company or a lowly production assistant -- he treated everyone like they were bros. He'd play hoops with us at the Y, always looked for a golf game, showed up at people's farewell parties. His off-air persona was so much different than his on-air persona. You may not have liked his style -- I was very lukewarm to it -- but his goal every show was to make it the best it could be no matter what time of year.

Short story that was Stu -- I think it was like 2001, 2002, something like that. I hand him a shotsheet for a Canadiens highlight and Jocelyn Thibault had a pretty good night with a few of his better saves making the highlight. He asks me, 'how many slaves did Thibault have?'. He stops, looks at me, I look at him like 'uhhhhh', both of us knowing he misspoke and then he laughed and sarcastically said, 'yeah, how many black people did Thibault own?'. We both knew he misspoke and he let it roll off the back like it was nothing and turned it into a little joke. He'll be sorely missed by a ton of people who watched him but specifically, those who worked or were working with him.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

He seemed fine on the air to me. That says a lot about Someone from this recent group of espn guys.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Sure it was posted in NPR, but RIP JP Parise.
Ad@m
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ad@m »

RIP Rod Taylor
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

I had to google to see which Rod Taylor you meant.

First name that came to mind was the former Admirals' forward, who held the all-time ECHL scoring record for several years.
The former hockey player is still alive and well at age 48...as far as I know.

The same cannot be said for the actor who starred in The Birds.

http://www.people.com/article/rod-taylor-dies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The actor Rod Taylor passed away at the age of 84
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

RIP Roy Tarpley, former 7th overall draft pick by the Dallas Mavericks

http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/2015/01/ ... t-50.html/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Oh come on.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

JS© wrote:RIP Roy Tarpley, former 7th overall draft pick by the Dallas Mavericks

http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/2015/01/ ... t-50.html/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He really could've been one of the greats, but his preference for cocaine ruined him. RIP
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

RIP Taylor Negron. Just Google him... Pretty ubiquitous character actor. Unmistakable face. Bummer