Anybody need a D League skater at Bethel or Southpointe?

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
enenvee
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Anybody need a D League skater at Bethel or Southpointe?

Post by enenvee »

I know the current seasons are still ongoing but are also past the halfway points at Bethel Park and Southpointe. So right about now I believe teams are starting to plan for next season. If anyone needs a player to fill out a roster at either one of those rinks, please let me know. I can play F or D, I don't have to be hounded for payment and I don't miss many games. My current team got pushed out at Southpointe and it doesn't look like we'll be getting back together. PM me if you have any openings.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Anybody need a D League skater at Bethel or Southpointe?

Post by JS© »

misread that and thought it was an invite for a D leaguer.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

I tried to get on the D\F leagues there never seems to be room. Actually Bethel really needs to filter players better. There are some guys in leagues who could move up 2 levels. But they would rather beat up on the bad guys.

If you have any luck, or get on a team that needs skaters let me know, I am in the same boat.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

That's the problem with a lot of the leagues here. The levels aren't really monitored.

We had a team dropped into our D league that was full of college players that could have very easily have been B. To me, that's not D league. D League was always the place for those learning, for those who may have lost a step (cough, cough) but still want to play, or for those who seem to play the game for fun, know that they are a step ahead of everybody but don't abuse the skill level.

Don't get me wrong, I always liked playing against better competition. It gets you to play better. It forces you to think more while out on the ice. But when the same team is lighting everybody up 14-1, 13-3, or going 6-0 after 1 period and windmilling after every goal, your place probably isn't in D league.

/rant
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

I've said it on here before, but I don't get why people play down. I play in Neville's A league and there are a few guys that play A and C. I don't get it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

People want to play with friends.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

Idoit40fans wrote:People want to play with friends.
That doesn't mean they have to be dicks about it and run up the score
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Yeah they should just skate around in the dzone with the puck and ruin it for the rest of their team. I dont think people should play up or down levels(aside from goalies) but its easy to see why they do it.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

Its funny I get sick of playing video games that rank players, suddenly the cheater in everyone comes out to find a way to have a better ranking than they are. No matter the glitch they have to exploit or mods they have to make to be better. Takes the community and fun out of the game.

These leagues with these hot doggers walking around everyone then celebrating like they won the cup is hard to deal with. But yeah I can understand it, play in a B league and score 4-5 goals or play the C league where you can score 9-10 goals. Its the jokers playing the D league who score 20 goals that need to go.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Then get a private rental to play with friends. There are leagues for a reason.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

lol, says the position that can plug anywhere.

How does that work in net? Do you play lights out in D league the same as you would in A? Or do you work on stuff like stickhandling/passing in situations where you'd normally just cover?
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

dodint wrote:lol, says the position that can plug anywhere.

How does that work in net? Do you play lights out in D league the same as you would in A? Or do you work on stuff like stickhandling/passing in situations where you'd normally just cover?
I think you have to show up with a BAC of at least .1
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

dodint wrote:Do you play lights out in D league the same as you would in A?
Yes. It's in my DNA to not allow goals. I'd stuff my own grandmother.
dodint wrote:Or do you work on stuff like stickhandling/passing in situations where you'd normally just cover?
That is tricky for the same reasons I hate skaters playing below their abilities. Just because I can throw a 120 foot saucer pass doesn't mean I'm going to. I'm also not going to let a rebound sit there then repeatedly stone some dude trying to bang it through my leg pads. I think the optics on that are bad. Like a said before, I don't play down because; 1) it is not any fun and 2) I feel bad doing it.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Yeah, if I felt like I was being placated by a goalie as a skater I'd be really upset as it would ruin the whole thing for me. Might as well put a tutor shooter in at that point.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Idoit40fans wrote:People want to play with friends.
then go play during stick time or drop-in.
cma3585
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by cma3585 »

Being a D (maybe C, never tried) level guy, I never had a problem w/ the really good goalies. There's only so much they can do and they can be beaten with teamwork. It's the guys 2-3x as fast and skilled as your entire team that blow through/around everyone that's virtually unstoppable unless putting him on his butt is an option, which it's not.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

usually the guys that are playing down are the tommy tryhards that try to embarrass/run up the score in the lower league. i say this as probably the worst hockey player to have play in a southpointe league and continually dealt with the dudes trying to put on the all star show and take advantage of me not being able to shoot, pass, skate, stop, stand on the ice without falling
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:usually the guys that are playing down are the tommy tryhards that try to embarrass/run up the score in the lower league. i say this as probably the worst hockey player to have play in a southpointe league and continually dealt with the dudes trying to put on the all star show and take advantage of me not being able to shoot, pass, skate, stop, stand on the ice without falling
When I graduate and move to a city somewhere, I'd love to try to learn hockey and join a league, but these are the type of people that make me fear to try it.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I'd be immune to it. There is no glory in dipping down and playing against people with a different goal and ability than you. Let them eat cake and have your own fun.
cma3585
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by cma3585 »

In the end, it's pretty ridiculous that to have a chance at competing in D leagues and make the playoffs and possibly win something, you need at least 3 ringers on your team. Yes, you play b/c you enjoy the game. But it's even more enjoyable knowing you have a shot at winning something bigger, even if it's a dumb trophy.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by no name »

cma3585 wrote:In the end, it's pretty ridiculous that to have a chance at competing in D leagues and make the playoffs and possibly win something, you need at least 3 ringers on your team. Yes, you play b/c you enjoy the game. But it's even more enjoyable knowing you have a shot at winning something bigger, even if it's a dumb trophy.
Most leagues ensure you the same amount of playoff games so the best team and the worst team play the same amount of games. So no incentive to win.

I want to be able to go on the ice and try my hardest and play at my best while competing against guys trying to do the same at the same skill level. I don't want to go out try my hardest and have a bunch of blow hards skating circles around me. And I don't want to play against players who I have to play down to their level either. Find a league where you belong and play it. Its that simple. I played in al league vs beginners where I was the best, to me it wasn't any fun. Played in a league to good for me and that wasn't any fun.

I think some of those guys would enjoy playing vs 10 year olds and running up the score on them.
enenvee
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by enenvee »

Yeah, but seriously, anyone need a guy?
joeyg412
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by joeyg412 »

enenvee wrote:Yeah, but seriously, anyone need a guy?
If you have a Facebook, join the group "Pittsburgh Adult Hockey" its pretty active and you may have some luck.