GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by Eismann »

Picked up a Straffe Hendrik quad and a Kwak at Jiggle MD in Robinson. Trying the Straffe now. Very good. Dark, good sweetness, hides the 11% pretty well. Could use a wee bit more body, but overall good.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

Eismann wrote:Picked up a Straffe Hendrik quad and a Kwak at Jiggle MD in Robinson. Trying the Straffe now. Very good. Dark, good sweetness, hides the 11% pretty well. Could use a wee bit more body, but overall good.
The Straffe is my second favorite accessible quad behind St Bernardus Abt 12.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

First I've seen of the Straffe. My Jig may have had it, but I really can't recall it.

Related: I asked the beer maven at the Robinson MD about why Old Peculier doesn't seem to be imported 'round here no mo. She said it was all about the distributor in these here parts, Fuhrer. May have to contact them and find out how to get the OP back.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

I drank my 64 oz growler of Snowbound Cinnamon tonight, which went a long ways towards knocking me on my ass. I followed that up with trying a Laguinitas Brown Shugga (which was nothing like I expected... a little bit sweet but still hoppy... damn good!) and a Blue Moon Farmhouse Red Ale... which was nothing spectacular, but not bad either. Liked it MUCH better than I ever expected.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

I've come to this conclusion about Sweet Baby Jesus... it gets worse every time you try it. Like, it isn't bad by any means, but the more you become familiar to the taste, the less novelty there is in it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I had a labatt blue draft at the game last night. It was horrid.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Idoit40fans wrote:I had a labatt blue draft at the game last night. It was horrid.
And $10. I did the same. It was what I deemed to be the best option available.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

As far as light beers go, blue light is a decent option IMO.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

In vacation having a KBS. My parents have a wine cellar that they keep at 58 degrees. It was a dream just pulling out a beer from there and drinking it at a perfect temp right away.

With that said, I agree with the common sentiment that Kbs doesn't age great. The coffee gets a little bitter I think. It makes me feel better about only scoring a few bottles. It's not like BCBS where you can grab a bunch and let them sit for years.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

Idoit40fans wrote:I had a labatt blue draft at the game last night. It was horrid.
I found a stand on the second level that sells Goose Island IPA draft.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Eismann wrote:Picked up a Straffe Hendrik quad and a Kwak at Jiggle MD in Robinson. Trying the Straffe now. Very good. Dark, good sweetness, hides the 11% pretty well. Could use a wee bit more body, but overall good.
I was eyeing that Straffe Hendrik up for a New Years beer. Price looked good, but I was kinda curious why that beer never seems to move off the shelf.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Tried a vanilla black ipa from horny goat. Probably one of my favorite black ipas. The thing I generally dislike about the style is it gives the hoppy bitterness without much other flavor. This cuts that with the vanilla, but the vanilla is very subtle.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Great Lakes Blackout Stout. Fantastic stuff. Very much enjoyed it, and I consider myself a bit of a stout fan/connoisseur.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

count2infinity wrote:Great Lakes Blackout Stout. Fantastic stuff. Very much enjoyed it, and I consider myself a bit of a stout fan/connoisseur.
I disagree. Was too boozey tasting for me. Dunno just didn't like it.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Haven't had that yet, but want to try it for sure.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Pavel Bure wrote:
count2infinity wrote:Great Lakes Blackout Stout. Fantastic stuff. Very much enjoyed it, and I consider myself a bit of a stout fan/connoisseur.
Too boozy at 9%? Heh.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

shmenguin wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:
Too boozy at 9%? Heh.
The taste of it I mean. Like Dragons Milk stout is very boozey tasting but it's done in a way that doesn't over power the beer... Just wasn't a fan of the blackout.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Do you not normally like Russian Imperial Stouts? I don't like many of them because of they are too malty. However, love Dragons Milk and BBA stouts because they are boozier, in the bourbon way. So I guess I view "boozier" in a different way.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

MWB wrote:Do you not normally like Russian Imperial Stouts? I don't like many of them because of they are too malty. However, love Dragons Milk and BBA stouts because they are boozier, in the bourbon way. So I guess I view "boozier" in a different way.
Yeah I'm probably describing it poorly. The bourbon taste really caps it off for me in the Dragons Milk. I'm sure the Great Lakes is considered a good beer. It's just not something I enjoyed.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

count2infinity wrote:
And $10. I did the same. It was what I deemed to be the best option available.
I usually get a can...which i actuallly like. Didnt realize the bar are would give me draft.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

JS© wrote:
I was eyeing that Straffe Hendrik up for a New Years beer. Price looked good, but I was kinda curious why that beer never seems to move off the shelf.
I know the feeling. I had the same thoughts about trying Affligem for the first time because it was on the bottom-most, left-most shelf, kinda hidden away and forgotten despite the good price. Really glad I tried that one and I buy it every now and then.

Give it a shot, especially if you can just buy a single to see if you like it.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Debuted the Teku glass on the two Free Will sours that I grabbed at Whole Foods--Kriek and Blood and Guts Sour Ale. It's great to see a PA brewery jumping in on the American Wild Ale game. Unfortunately, they were not very good. I think they were something like $9 and $13 (pint bottles) respectively. The Kriek was a decent tasting kriek but it had the mouthfeel and (lack of) carbonation of koolaid. It looked nice in the glass at least:
Spoiler:
The other one was pretty mystifying too. It had a fast-dissipating head during the pour, which was gone completely by the time I finished the pour. No amount of agitation could work up any head on the beer, and therefore, it was very difficult to smell the beer at all. Mouthfeel was a little better on this one, and the taste was actually pretty interesting, sort of a chocolate dark fruit, plum flavor on the front and a solid sour bite on the back. But again, just missing certain elements. The strong bacteria smell of sours or AWAs are a big part of the experience, and this one was just way too faint.

Last night I had a Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Wild at the Wexford Ale House last night. I really enjoyed it, even though the bartender gave it a thumbs down and said many people were saying Little Sumpin' is much better. I also had the Ithaca Embrr Porter, a rye porter. It was good, not great.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

St bernardus Christmas ale is truly amazing, so smooth, it almost had a creamy mouthfeel to it. Definitely worth every penny.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

eddysnake wrote:St bernardus Christmas ale is truly amazing, so smooth, it almost had a creamy mouthfeel to it. Definitely worth every penny.
:(

Where. Is. It?
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I was at our favorite bar on Sunday night. They had St Bernadus and Delerium Noel on their draft list, both had kicked. Was so mad. They had Avery Brewing's "The Beast" though. It's a grand cru, and I was going to get it until I noticed the ABV... 15-17%