TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: TV Shows

Post by ajh2298 »

Anyone watching Ascension? What are your thoughts about it so far?

I like it so far it's just every time I see the captain of the ship I think of the character he plays on Cougartown and I am waiting for him to yell "penny-can".
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Finally caught up on Forever and now working my way forward on Gotham. Though I think I dozed off in the middle of the one I was watching last night, the Harvey Dent episode.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Always a nice surprise when the person who wins survivor is the one that actually deserves it
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

i watched the 30 for 30, "The U: Part 2" the other night. it mainly covered the years that i went to UM, so i had my eyes glued to the TV, but i can't imagine it was that interesting to the masses, considering how irrelevant miami has become recently.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

The only college themed 30-30 I've watched is the SMU one, because it ends in the effective death of a college football program, which is great.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

I've watched the first two episodes of Marco Polo and am kind of lukewarm about it. Maybe reading some of the reviews beforehand kind of made this stand out more for me, but I'm not sure why Marco Polo is even in the show, let alone its main focus. It would be interesting enough just to look at the conflict between the Mongols and the Chinese. I'm not sure why there's this kind of played out "Westerner goes to the Orient, learns kung fu, comes to appreciate beauty of Asian women" storyline that's supposed to be the central focus, especially when there's no historical basis for this.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

looks like pee wee's playhouse is now streaming on netflix.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

The seasons option that started to show up on directv for me is awesome.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

What's that, canaan?

Am I the only one that likes Alpha House? It's not super high brow or anything but it makes me laugh at least a couple times an episode. Started S2 tonight.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Excellent last episode of The Colbert Report.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

Yeah, it was good. Kind of depressing, actually
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

I need to find a list of names of all the famous people/muppets at the end.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:Yeah, it was good. Kind of depressing, actually
Yeah it is. While there were plenty of nights where I didn't watch (and it's next to impossible to catch all episodes) I feel kind of bad almost I didn't watch more these past few months. That show was excellent. Now back in my college days when he started I caught just about everyone. And it brings me back to living in a dorm and my roommate and I watched every night. Then after graduation it seemed like we were constantly texting each other "you gotta see the Colbert from last night." Really wondering how he's going to come off in normal interviews when he's going to have people there that 99% of the time are promoting something and he can't constantly interrupt them and try to "nail them" for comedys sake
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

I have no faith his new show will be as good. I just feel like he'll have less freedom creatively on a network show that's going to have to pander to older people (Letterman's average audience is like 20 years older than Colbert's). Also, yeah, his interviews will be less fun I'm afraid.

To be honest, I preferred his monologues on the CR over his interviews. Mostly because an interview depends on the other person which most people suck at being interviewed. Of course there are exceptions (deGrasse Tyson, both Clintons, etc) but in general he had to carry the interviews. I could be wrong, but most network late shows are MOSTLY interviews which I just...ugh, don't care about. His monologues, especially about politics, were the best part of his show. Hell, they were among the best things on tv.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I'll miss the Colbert Report. It took a bit, but it eventually became my favorite CC show (over the daily show and south park). I look forward to his new show. I think he certainly has the talent to be a good late night host. Anything is better than Letterman at this point. I don't ever stay up to watch these shows, but I like to catch the highlights the next morning, especially from Fallon and Conan. I'm sure Colbert will join my morning search as to what happened the night before.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

FreeCandy44 wrote:I need to find a list of names of all the famous people/muppets at the end.
Unofficially:

Jon Stewart, Big Bird, Cookie Monster, James Franco, Katie Couric, Michael Stipe, J.J. Abrams, Mandy Patinkin, Tom Brokaw, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Doris Kearns Goodwin, Jeff Daniels, Sam Waterston, Andrew Sullivan, Ken Burns, Charlie Rose, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Barry Manilow, NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio, Wilco’s Jeff Tweedy, Patrick Stewart, Andy Cohen, Christiane Amanpour, Arianna Huffington, The New Yorker editor David Remnick, Peter Frampton, Alan Alda, Cory Booker, Eliot Spitzer, Peter Jackson, Paul Krugman, Richard Clarke, Norm Ornstein, Lesley Stahl, Leon Wieseltier, Cyndi Lauper, Gloria Steinem, George Lucas, Henry Kissinger, Bob Costas, Tim Meadows, Wikipedia’s Jimmy Wales, Bryan Cranston, Eleanor Holmes Norton, Toby Keith, David Gregory, Ric Ocasek, Stone Phillips, Alexai Lalas, Elijah Wood, Mike Huckabee, Nate Silver, Bo Dietl, Dan Savage, Chuck Schumer, Army Chief of Staff General Ray Odierno, Samantha Power, Thomas Friedman, Matt Taibbi, Claire McKaskill, Mark Cuban, journalist Emily Bazelon, members of P*ssy Riot, Yo Yo Ma, John Ratzenberger, George Saunders, Colin Meloy of The Decemberists, Jonathan Alter, Keith Olbermann, Shane Smith, Bradley Whitford, Jake Tapper, Jeffrey Toobin, Grover Norquist, Breaking Bad creator Vince Gilligan, Smaug the dragon, an astronaut on a treadmill in space, Segway inventor Dean Kamen, Alex Trebek, Santa Claus, Abraham Lincoln and a Tweeting Bill Clinton.
pens9192
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pens9192 »

I think some people out there, especially non-regular viewers of the Colbert Report, will think that Colbert's character on CR is how he really is and will expect him to be like that on The Late Show and will probably complain. Same with the reverse where people will expect The Late Show to be like CR and it won't be and never will. It is going to be tamed down like how Conan's show was when he initially took over for Leno.

Good luck, Mr. Noblet!
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

Tonight is the last ever Letterman Christmas episode. It's the last time Jay Thomas will tell his lone ranger story before throwing a football at the meatball on top of the tree, and the last time Darlene Love will play Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)

Kind of sad, actually
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Froggy wrote:Tonight is the last ever Letterman Christmas episode. It's the last time Jay Thomas will tell his lone ranger story before throwing a football at the meatball on top of the tree, and the last time Darlene Love will play Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)

Kind of sad, actually
True dat.
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Tomas »

redwill wrote:
FreeCandy44 wrote:I need to find a list of names of all the famous people/muppets at the end.
Unofficially:

Jon Stewart, Big Bird, Cookie Monster, James Franco, Katie Couric, Michael Stipe, J.J. Abrams, Mandy Patinkin, Tom Brokaw, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Doris Kearns Goodwin, Jeff Daniels, Sam Waterston, Andrew Sullivan, Ken Burns, Charlie Rose, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Barry Manilow, NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio, Wilco’s Jeff Tweedy, Patrick Stewart, Andy Cohen, Christiane Amanpour, Arianna Huffington, The New Yorker editor David Remnick, Peter Frampton, Alan Alda, Cory Booker, Eliot Spitzer, Peter Jackson, Paul Krugman, Richard Clarke, Norm Ornstein, Lesley Stahl, Leon Wieseltier, Cyndi Lauper, Gloria Steinem, George Lucas, Henry Kissinger, Bob Costas, Tim Meadows, Wikipedia’s Jimmy Wales, Bryan Cranston, Eleanor Holmes Norton, Toby Keith, David Gregory, Ric Ocasek, Stone Phillips, Alexai Lalas, Elijah Wood, Mike Huckabee, Nate Silver, Bo Dietl, Dan Savage, Chuck Schumer, Army Chief of Staff General Ray Odierno, Samantha Power, Thomas Friedman, Matt Taibbi, Claire McKaskill, Mark Cuban, journalist Emily Bazelon, members of P*ssy Riot, Yo Yo Ma, John Ratzenberger, George Saunders, Colin Meloy of The Decemberists, Jonathan Alter, Keith Olbermann, Shane Smith, Bradley Whitford, Jake Tapper, Jeffrey Toobin, Grover Norquist, Breaking Bad creator Vince Gilligan, Smaug the dragon, an astronaut on a treadmill in space, Segway inventor Dean Kamen, Alex Trebek, Santa Claus, Abraham Lincoln and a Tweeting Bill Clinton.
+Randy Newman playing the piano, Willie Nelson, + ...?

And pretty much everybody with pictures: http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/12/19/colbe ... le-guests/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Tomas on Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Caught up on Gotham.
Spoiler:
Did not see Gordon's demotion coming. Surprised with some of the stuff they get away with for an 8pm time slot...
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Finished up the third season of Lilyhammer. Very enjoyable show, kind of like a cross between Riptide, Psych, and Sopranos. But set in Norway. :lol:
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Go f*** yourself amazing race. What a disgraceful finale in every way. Again.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

shmenguin wrote:Go f*** yourself amazing race. What a disgraceful finale in every way. Again.
Yes, absolutely! Just finished watching it...
Spoiler:
And although I don't dislike the winners, they should have been eliminated last leg. Two non-elimination legs in a row, this late in the race? Come on. What a cop out.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I don't understand The Newsroom. If I had to choose between boning Olvia Munn and placating an HR d-bag, I'd quit and freelance and continue boning Olivia Munn.

Sorkin just doesn't get relationships. :pop: