Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by dodint »

Yes. One of us completely missed the point of the quotes.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

OK, so the latter
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

I'm no wordsmith, but I think mimh's point is "Ur old."

amirite?
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Hockeynut! wrote:I'm no wordsmith, but I think mimh's point is "Ur old."

amirite?
Pretty much

It's a generational thing. I'm sure in five years I'm going to start complaining about the younger generations. Were so in love with the world we grew up in that anything new offends us. Hell, its already started with me. I do not understand the Vlogger craze right now
Last edited by MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I turn 32 on Monday. So, to him, yes. ;)
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:
Hockeynut! wrote:I'm no wordsmith, but I think mimh's point is "Ur old."

amirite?
Pretty much

It's a generational thing. I'm sure in five years I'm going to start complaining about the younger generations.
I'm not complaining about the younger generation though. I said many, many adults suffer from the same problem. If your reading comprehension was better, you'd have noticed that. :pop:

/justyankinyerchainhomeboy
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Hockeynut! wrote:
shmenguin wrote:seems like you're describing high school kids from every generation. i don't remember us 80's/90's kids being wordsmiths of any sort.

i think kids are more connected with each other than ever. and incidentally, less shy than ever. they might struggle more with long-form writing, but i think that's a different topic.
I've seen a major decline in teen conversational skills in last 8 years. It's a dramatic difference.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

You don't see the irony in making a post with zero original content in it? In this discussion. C'mon man.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

"Vintage Weenie" seems to apply to that post.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:Brevity is the soul of wit
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Also, that's not irony

God, slappy's head is going to explode if he sees my posts
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

You're right. It's not irony. I never should've expected anything from you in the first place.

My bad.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

I don't know why you're surprised at the lack of verbiage in my posts. I never said the younger generations conversation style isn't changing, I fully admit it is (and I'm a part of the change). I'm just pointing out that people have been complaining about the change of the "conversation" for literally centuries.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:
Hockeynut! wrote:
shmenguin wrote:seems like you're describing high school kids from every generation. i don't remember us 80's/90's kids being wordsmiths of any sort.

i think kids are more connected with each other than ever. and incidentally, less shy than ever. they might struggle more with long-form writing, but i think that's a different topic.
I've seen a major decline in teen conversational skills in last 8 years. It's a dramatic difference.

I've called out adults in several posts. In fact, my first post about how cell phones are a pet peeve of mine was about husbands and wives and families out to dinner while everyone looks at their phone rather than each other. The conversation evolved to include teens. My anecdote based upon my personal experiences in which I've seen teens become more obsessed with their phones to the detriment of the world around them grew from that.

Keep up.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Yeah its a universal problem. The only difference is that some people have added this stupidity but can still function. Others have grown up never knowing how to interact face to face. 1 step from the humans in wall-e.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

dodint wrote:So do most researchers.

But then, that guy shmenguin on the internet, there is that. ;)
It may affect a bunch of things. I still don't see a real problem here. I don't think choosing a text message or app on your phone over talking to a stranger is really an issue whatsoever.

The flip side to this is that technology has helped create the most informed generation we've seen. Racial tolerance and acceptance of different lifestyles has never been better. Kids are smoking less. Drinking less. They're banging each other sideways, which is kind of an issue, but the Information Age has created a more enlightened generation than we belong to.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Enlightened? Don't think so. I think the opportunity is there but we're not more enlightened. We (the royal we) would rather laugh at cat picture than learn about a day in the life of ths aborigines or how an internal combustion engine works.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I agree with you mostly.

As an introvert I prefer to not make small talk and engage in needless interaction. But I learned to write and learned to speak well in front of a crowd before I graduated high school (fake it till you make it) and it has paid off for me in the workforce. I think my brothers generation is less equipped for that. But maybe the workforce will change, and that's okay.

Where we disagree is that with access to more information comes access to more noise and distraction. Learning how (and why) to focus and glean something useful from it is going to be a huge productivity skill moving forward.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

PensFanInDC wrote:Enlightened? Don't think so. I think the opportunity is there but we're not more enlightened. We (the royal we) would rather laugh at cat picture than learn about a day in the life of ths aborigines or how an internal combustion engine works.
Socially enlightened absolutely. I dont know if mechanical engineering falls under that umbrella
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

dodint wrote:I agree with you mostly.

As an introvert I prefer to not make small talk and engage in needless interaction. But I learned to write and learned to speak well in front of a crowd before I graduated high school (fake it till you make it) and it has paid off for me in the workforce. I think my brothers generation is less equipped for that. But maybe the workforce will change, and that's okay.

Where we disagree is that with access to more information comes access to more noise and distraction. Learning how (and why) to focus and glean something useful from it is going to be a huge productivity skill moving forward.
There will still be qualified people to fill the jobs that require focus. There are plenty of people now with tack sharp attention spans who sit around with nothing to use it on all day. The cream will continue to rise. The elite will continue to innovate. The kids doing duck faces and other weird selfies will replace the dummies before them who didn't have the opportunity to broadcast their idiocy - but it was still there.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PensFanInDC wrote:Enlightened? Don't think so. I think the opportunity is there but we're not more enlightened. We (the royal we) would rather laugh at cat picture than learn about a day in the life of ths aborigines or how an internal combustion engine works.
I think that's a bit...off target?

I never would've made it as a software engineer if it wasn't for the internet and stackoverflow.com. keep in mind my degree is in physics and I only took one software class in my first two years.

Hell, the internet and wolframalpha.com helped me plow through physics.

The people who look at cat pictures would've done the same thing (or the equivalent) 20 years ago. It would've been a lot slower process for me to learn how to program without the internet.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Grunthy »

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:
dodint wrote:It's great you're using old internet pictures to further your discussion about how the younger generation can't communicate with words very well. Poignant.

Especially since the all the quotes predates radio, all forms of mass group based entertainment, and the entire information age which is the foundation for the discussion.

But yeah, cool .jpg.

Either you completely missed the point of the quotes or you're being intentionally obtuse

sorry have to...

shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

It was a luxury that we all were able to be dumb kids without having a digital record of it, existing forever.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

What's ironic about this whole discussion is that I sort of hate people. I'm not joking when I say I want to get 50 acres and live alone in the middle of it. If I'm not with clients, I can easily go days on end without actually speaking to anyone else. But as a business professional, I can "fake it" when I need to. The fact that a whole lot of people are content with ignoring the people and the world around them so they can focus on their phones is disconcerting. I think many people today would rather watch a 30 second youtube video about some sort of beautiful location than actually go there and experience in person. I was at the restaurant tonight and the woman checking out in front of me completely ignored the cashier during the 10 seconds or whatever it took her to pay her bill. She didn't answer when asked how her meal was, didn't say "you're welcome" when thanked for her business, didn't respond when told "Merry Christmas". She was looking at her phone the whole time. That bothers me, but I'm just an old fogey.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

The premise being that she wouldn't have been terrible without the phone? The phone is doing us a favor of spotting who the dipwad is in this instance. Though honestly, we exist in the same world, and I almost never see what you described. And I live near Philly. I don't think stuff like this is that common.